Instagram writers?

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here incorporate writing into their Instagram sites? (Or just use Instagram at all?)

I've been using the site to post "flash" fiction and very short stories. Basically just little writing prompts tied to a picture.

My profile is in my signature if you are interested. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't like non-pictures on Instagram. Never follow word block posters. I discuss writing, books, reading, etc...but I do it in the comments, not in pictures with big blocks of writing...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Does anyone here incorporate writing into their Instagram sites? (Or just use Instagram at all?)

I've been using the site to post "flash" fiction and very short stories. Basically just little writing prompts tied to a picture.

My profile is in my signature if you are interested. :)
Checked yours out...glad to see you post pics. I don't understand when people post pics of paragraphs of words and no pics...very non-instagrammy thing to do. (-:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I looked at you instagram, loaded more, loaded more, and didn't see a single example of any fiction posted. Maybe post some examples before starting a discussion about it and direct people to your feed.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I looked at you instagram, loaded more, loaded more, and didn't see a single example of any fiction posted. Maybe post some examples before starting a discussion about it and direct people to your feed.

Ha. I just dug deeper and discovered the same thing. I thought I would find them in the comments, as they weren't in the pics...

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
When I do them they're in the comment below the pictures. The image is used as a prompt for the writing.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
My third most recent image is an example

https://instagram.com/p/BOVBc28h6I-/

https://instagram.com/p/BNsbZb8BiC3/

I wasn't trying to self promo, I was seriously just wondering if anyone was using Instagram this way

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Oh, it's in the comments. Honestly I never read the comments unless the picture gives me an obvious reason to. Even if I know a user posted short fics would I click on every pic in the hopes of maybe finding one? IMHO, probably not. Seems like more of a Tumblr thing.

I am a writer but I use instagram to look at puppies, pancakes and pretty hairstyles.

Last edited:

ChopinsMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Instagram seems more of a visual app. Honestly, I find it rare for writers to use Instagram to post their writing. Mentioning their blog or book or whatever in their bio's nothing new, but I don't know about posting their fiction in the photos.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Instagram seems more of a visual app. Honestly, I find it rare for writers to use Instagram to post their writing. Mentioning their blog or book or whatever in their bio's nothing new, but I don't know about posting their fiction in the photos.

I constantly get people following me who do it. Just big blocks of writing as a pic. Usually poets, but prose writers too. Their feeds just look horrid. No follow backs...

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really do Instagram, but from what I know of social media, it is very much designed to be for photos, not really stories.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
How would that even be done? I honestly don't really understand Instagram. From what I can tell, you can only post from your phone, which is already VERY annoying to me. I can't even imagine trying to type things out on there.

Am I missing something? I always wonder how people post memes on there as well. I guess they're just screenshotting?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I only go to Instagram when someone I like posts a pic there and links it on Twitter. Even then I'm a little annoyed that they didn't just tweet the picture in the first place.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You can cut and paste to add something to the comment section that goes with the pic. Not everyone reads comments, bit a lot of people do. I like it because it's different... Just slices of life. Plus, I love following bookstagrammers to find out what everyone is reading. I have purchased so many books based on instagram pics and comments.

This month there is #igauthorlifejan where you have a mission to post something once a day. The calendar of prompts are on my Instagram page... There's often author months like this, where we share goals and updates on our writing. Plus... These things bring more conversation to instagram... Check it out... Hundreds of authors/writers take part...

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
I use Instagram, but I don't write any fictions on it. I generally post pictures of my books, my cooking, delicious/unique food or beverages and some other miscellaneous stuff. :)

Fanni

Registered
Reaction score
I think Instagram can be useful if you have clear topics in your mind, what you want to post about. A picture with a caption from your book or article could be one category. Your readers/followers can get to know you more (if you allow them). By sharing short stories about what you like to do, what you read, what inspires you and so on, they can get closer to you. It doesn't have to be too personal, though.
As mentioned before, updates like a new post on your blog could be also announced on Instagram. A well-curated feed tells a lot about you and I find it exciting to have a presence on this platform as a writer.