• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Filles Vertes Publishing

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Man, they are brand-spankin' new, aren't they?

No titles out yet, no actual people/experience listed in the About Us section, no advances, the usual emphasis on authors shouldering much of the marketing burden in their FAQ.

That said, the site is well-written and the mission clearly well-intended. However, I wouldn't submit to a company without some idea of the principals' experience level and the kind of work they're capable of producing.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
it's certainly too early to say anything about them yet, not officially launching till the new year, but in FAQ this is a bit weird...

Q- Do you accept series?
  • We love series. You do not have to publish them all with us, we will hold rights one and a time to give you flexibility.

I appreciate them saying you don't need to commit all of your books in series to them, on the other hand I can't imagine a publisher that would be fine with an Author going elsewhere with their series, if they published the first and worked hard to market it only to have another publisher end up with subsequent titles? Perhaps they mean they will look at other books from a series already put out by another Publisher.
I think I'd prefer a more business like stance like, hell no, if a series is submitted we will want first rights of refusal !:)

Also wish Publishers, if they are commercial, would stop saying they expect the Authors to contribute to marketing efforts (they mention this a number of times). It may be nit picky but it's promotion Authors do, not marketing.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Last edited:

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I'm with mrsmig--the fact they aren't explicit about who is involved and their experience gives me pause, as does the emphasis on authors marketing. I've made that mistake once before. If a publisher doesn't have an established name and readership they can bring to my book, AND they're not planning to promote me as an author (or not as much as they expect me to do it myself), I'm not sure what they're offering me that's worth anything. Editing? Can get my own editor. Cover design? Can get that myself, too.

I will say, I find the site very clean and nice looking. I will be watching to see what they do.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
C. L. Rose's blog includes a page about her editing services. So...editor for one publisher, PR intern for a literary agency, and a freelance editor. Not to mention she says she's "working toward publication." Covering all the bases?

Myra's blog includes a bit more information about her, though not much. She has one non-fiction book forthcoming, but she doesn't mention a publisher, and Google doesn't show any results other than her own social media pages.

This...does not fill me with warm fuzzies.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I want to give all new pubs the benefit of doubt, but there just isn't enough to go on with this one. Where did Myra and C. L. get their experience? How's their capital? Who else is involved? They don't take my genres, so my interest is academic. I certainly don't think they should be chumming for books via Twitter pitches.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I decided to send something in to see if anything happens/how long it takes to hear back. IF anything happens I'll let you all know.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
I contacted the publisher with similar questions, and also got permission to post them here! Hope this helps anyone interested in publishing with them - I know I'll be submitting my adult paranormal mystery romance :)

=============================================

Hi Magali,

Thank you for your interest in potentially submitting to FVP, and for reaching out with your questions. I understand that anything from cover art to rights can lead an author to hesitate, and understandably so when you've spend hundreds of hours on your literary baby. As explained on our FAQ page on the website (http://www.fillesvertespublishing.com/faqs/), we open ourselves to questioning and scrutiny within the industry to assure a positive experience, quality reputation on all sides, and adequate representation. The answers to your questions are below. Should you have any additional questions, let me know.

Best,
Myra Fiacco

- Is it mostly authors who do their marketing, or does the publishing press have a marketing design? If so, how much reach does the press have in "who they know" in order to make it a successful marketing? Like, do they have an established name and readership yet? I know the press is brand new, but does the staff have reach within the publishing world?

As explained in our FAQs, we do not expect our authors to do 100% of marketing. We spend a lot of time getting to know an author’s web presence, niche markets, and reach before we structure a marketing plan to them. FVP is very hands on with marketing, starting with a Go-to-market strategy upon contract signing (I’ve been allowing authors to review it when presented with a contract in order to best make decisions on their career paths). We have a marketing plan, sales team, and active PR team. I am currently building relationships with wholesalers and distributors for sale of our books in bookstores, we are building our reach online, as well as with literary journals, university presses, and libraries nationwide.

- Are there any samples for book cover designs? I know there aren't any books yet, but what could I expect in terms of what my book cover would look like? Would I have any say in it?

A reader spends an average of 2 seconds glancing at the front cover of a book. If they like it, they will flip to the back, giving an average of 7 seconds before they decide to keep reading or to replace it on the shelf. That gives the cover designer 9 seconds to secure a sale. That's how important covers are. That being said, I cannot send you any examples right now. The book covers being designed are under contract with my designer and not yet finished. Our authors DO have a say in the design, and have the right to veto it in the end, though the standards we hold for covers are just as high as the standards we hold for manuscripts. If you keep check back on the website, you’ll get to see some examples soon.

- For the owner, Myra, it says on her blog that she has a book coming up - who's publishing her book? And apart from her blog, she doesn't seem to have much presence on social media - would this affect who she knows in the "publishing world" in order to make the press and the published books become more known?

I am publishing my book, with plans to put it out in the first or second quarter of the year. I’m publishing my nonfiction with my company instead of going elsewhere because that is how much I believe in FVP. Apart from my blog https://fromzerotowriter.wordpress.com/ I am active on twitter @MyraFiacco and facebook https://www.facebook.com/AuthorMyraFiacco/ as well as our ever-expanding team of social media for FVP. A lot of my connections are made with people in person, at conferences, and over email, so you would not see into the scope of my dealings in the publishing world by lens of social media alone.

- How's the publishing press' capital for marketing and printed books or anything else?

In regards to the publishing company as a business, I can only print as many copies in the first run as I know I can sell. For now, that cannot match the big companies at 30k, and looks more like 1k-2,500 copies for initial run. However, with a printer that runs for me whenever I want them to, I can go back to order more at any time with a turnover of only a few days (as long as no changes are made to the manuscript). My capital, though confidential, is not something my authors will have to worry about. Signed authors are better aware of the exact numbers to assure they are managing their career alongside FVP. We work very closely with our Authors, making sure they know what they need to grow, be that financial or otherwise.

- Is it just eBooks or is there also the print on demand? Or is it automatically printed as well?

eBook and softcover, with hardcover and audio following as soon as 2018

- Is there anyone else involved in the press apart from the staff?

I have interns (under contract for NDA/Non-Disclosure Agreement), my mentor, and several other contracted artists and editors. Authors have full scope into who they’re working with, and who is handling their materials at all times.

- Would the contract have any details about what would happen if (_and I'm hoping it really doesn't!_) the press closes? Would I get my book rights back? Is that in the contract?

Yes, that clause is in the contract. All rights are returned upon bankruptcy or dissolvency of the company.

================================================================

When I asked about sharing the answers here, I received this kind response:

Thanks Magali,

I am happy to have you share any/all answers and encourage anyone to email me with additional questions. As a small press, it is unlikely we will take more than 12 titles a year, which, by having a small FVP family, means I want everyone to be very well taken care of and informed. That goes for people submitting to me, too, because those are potential FVP family members. I appreciate your encouragement to help shed a positive reputation on the company and wish you the very best in your publication efforts!

Best,
Myra

Lakini

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting! I have a full out with them, and while I'm excited about the request, I'm also nervous about their newness. I planned on asking these questions (and more) if they want to move onto the next stage with my novel.

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
Funny thing is, I was going to start a thread asking about them, but as soon as I came here I noticed this one, lol. So, thank you for posting more information about them!

I am familiar with C.L Rose, we were in the same workshop last month. I don't know her personally though, and was curious to know more information about this press because I was interested in sending my YA fantasy to them.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
Funny thing is, I was going to start a thread asking about them, but as soon as I came here I noticed this one, lol. So, thank you for posting more information about them!

I am familiar with C.L Rose, we were in the same workshop last month. I don't know her personally though, and was curious to know more information about this press because I was interested in sending my YA fantasy to them.

If you have any questions, I suggest emailing them at [email protected] as recommended in their FAQs - Myra answered all my questions, and was very opened about everything :)

horrorchix89

Banned
Reaction score
They seem like a company I would want to at least keep my eye on...at least until they can produce some actually examples.

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
If you have any questions, I suggest emailing them at [email protected] as recommended in their FAQs - Myra answered all my questions, and was very opened about everything :)

Yep! I emailed them asking about word count and she responded back promptly that day. I know it's early, but I'm hoping the press does well. They have announced two of their authors so far on the website.

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
It also appears they are having a launch party on January 28th, where they will be answering questions and doing giveaways (like doing a pitch party, critiquing full manuscripts and such.) I'm sure if anyone was curious about this press and wanted to know more information about them, the launch event would be good to attend. It seems to be on Facebook: Filles Vertes Publishing, LLC

horrorchix89

Banned
Reaction score
It also appears they are having a launch party on January 28th, where they will be answering questions and doing giveaways (like doing a pitch party, critiquing full manuscripts and such.) I'm sure if anyone was curious about this press and wanted to know more information about them, the launch event would be good to attend. It seems to be on Facebook: Filles Vertes Publishing, LLC

I signed up to attend, at least to see what they have to offer

WDusty

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what they're offering me that's worth anything. Editing? Can get my own editor. Cover design? Can get that myself, too.

Not for free, though. Not unless you have friends that are editors and graphic artists.

horrorchix89

Banned
Reaction score
A good editor costs $500-$2500 depending on word length and how fucked up the writing is. A cover design could range up to $1000. They are new so things won't be as fast pace as established publishers.

- - - Updated - - -

Sigh. That's nice for folks on Facebook. Honestly, these days when I see a business interacting only/primarily on FB, I usually don't bother with them. I left FB happily a couple of years ago, and I'm not eager to return.

They have a twitter

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently they have a book called Pitcher Plant that's coming out in March. Wouldn't know it by going to the website. There's a lot of fanfare about the company, not so much about their books or authors. Where's the cover and blurb for PP? Why isn't it on GR? How can they expect to generate interest for a book without these basics?

If this is how they operate, I can't forsee much green in the green girls future.

WDusty

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. That's nice for folks on Facebook. Honestly, these days when I see a business interacting only/primarily on FB, I usually don't bother with them. I left FB happily a couple of years ago, and I'm not eager to return.

Facebook had about 1.8 billion active users in the last quarter of 2016 alone. Their advertising rates are cheap and their targeting segmentable by demographics and interests. You happily left one of the most affordable and effective channels on the Web. From a marketing standpoint, I wouldn't brag about that.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm not bragging, simply stating that I couldn't work with FB at the time I left. That might change in the future. I'm well aware of FB demographics, because my workplace uses it (among other platforms). I just didn't want to be personally involved with it anymore. If Filles Vertes have a Twitter account, that's good.

horrorchix89

Banned
Reaction score
They had their FB launch party and it was pretty good IMO. Many questions were answered (although those people could've just read the FAQ's or sent an email) and some prizes were given out. I won a 3-chapter critique. I like the vibe they have going and yes, I know they're small and new but I'm putting them on my backup list in case this whole querying thing doesn't work out.