A rotten tree produces rotten fruit.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This is a Washington Post article I linked to some time ago. It is about the family with whom Dylan Roof sometimes stayed prior to his murders. He showed them his gun and said he was going to do something crazy, and they did nothing to stop him. Their response after the fact has been to look up from their drinking, drugs and video games briefly and shrug. It's almost as sinister in its way as if they'd been malignant haters themselves.

There are different kinds of rotten fruit, and reading this article, I can practically smell the sickly sweet smell of decay that must surely permeate their trailer home. These people weren't always like this, though. The question I still have after reading this article is why. When did people who had once lived a middle-class life of privilege get so passive and hopeless?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/09/12/an-american-void/?utm_term=.dddb45a7033e

My point is that Roof and his sister's behavior may stem, in part, from their upbringing. But we live in a world where people stand idly by and let horrible things happen. Why is that?

Last edited: