I remember reading in a WSJ article about the ecological costs of cheap fashion is that the average article of clothing in the US is worn just seven times. I am assuming they are not averaging socks and underwear in.

I am pretty much a jeans and tee shirt type person, so I have certain casual clothing items I keep for a long time and wear countless times until they wear out (usually my most casual and comfortable clothes), along with a few blouses that become my workplace staples (back before Covid when I taught in person). Any dress up clothes I have are worn very infrequently, on the rare occasion I attend a wedding, festive dinner, or other "dressy" event. I tend to keep certain dresses and skirts for years for this reason, and I tend to buy things that are not epitomes of current fashion trends but will also not really go blatantly "out of fashion" (so I can pull the same dress out for years).

Cotton or cotton/poly blend tee shirts are really variable in quality. I have some I've owned and washed over and over for years that haven't gotten holes and where the logo on them is still not too faded. Others may end up getting holes after a number of washings or fade quickly. I tend to purchase "memento" tee shirts at dog agility trials, receive them as gifts from people, or to obtain them as "gifts" for things like AAAS memberships or other organizations I join or donate money to, so my drawers are bulging with tee shirts.

Klutzy slob that I am, I sometimes ruin something I've worn only once or twice. I've never been great at sewing and do not own a machine, so elaborate mending (more than sewing a button back on or repairing a small rip with a needle and thread) is beyond me. And if I spill coffee on a light-colored blouse, or get ink on something, there's no way to get the stain out. I have a number hoodie style sweat shirts with holes in the front pocket because I forget and leave dog treats there. With three dogs and two cats you can guess what happens to them when I do that!

I also sometimes buy things that end up not fitting right or end up not being what I expected them to be once they arrived (or may not fit right, in spite of being the correct size), or they looked great, but I really do have nowhere to wear them. Unless they were very pricey, sending them back to the retailer can be more trouble than it is worth. They just sit in my closet or get donated eventually.

I think a lot of it is that more and more clothing are purchased online, so you don't always know for sure what you are getting. I hate going to a department store and searching the racks for a particular type of item (a skirt of a particular length, pants that are dressier than jeans, or a certain style of blouse) and not finding anything remotely like what I have in mind. I tend to concentrate on particular catalog companies whose clothes tend to be of decent quality and that seem fit me consistently. I'd rather pay a bit more and get something I will use for years. But there are still occasional "surprises."

It would help if women's clothing were sized directly via measurements, instead of by these arcane and variable numbers. But even the measurements can be misleading, as I've carefully measured my waist and hips and purchased the item they said was the correct size for that measurement but had it end up miles too large (or maybe too tight in places).