I recently watched the documentary (currently on Netflix) called The True Cost. I knew the current fashion industry was not exactly great for human rights and the environment, but I didn't realize quite how bad. Clothing is currently the 2nd most polluting industry in the world. The Rana Plaza disaster in 2013 was unique only its scope -- garment factories in Asia regularly have accidents causing "only" dozens or hundreds of deaths. And even the consumers at the end don't get the deal they think -- the initial buzz of getting a bargain is short-lived, as are the clothes themselves.

Is it time to become more mindful in what we buy and wear? Buy less and buy better quality? Put pressure on clothing companies to improve their practices? Start supporting more ethical companies? Buy more second-hand? Learn to mend, or to know your local tailor?

My pledge is to put my yearly clothing budget towards fewer items, and to make sure (as much as possible) that those items are good quality and ethically sourced.