Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Hope all our monthly NaNo thread folks are having all the merry and bright they can handle!

This is one of the first opportunities I've had to sit quietly at the computer in a week. First there were all the last-minute holiday preparations, including a final round of baking, which included iced sugar cookie cutouts, cinnamon bread, millionaire bars and an Irish Cream cake. My brother and his family will be around tonight to help us eat up the goodies. I think I'm safe in calling the baking goal DONE.

Second, the "slight" cold went full blown early in the week. I lost my voice midway through our Tuesday evening performance and missed the following two shows while the cold continued to sit on my vocal cords. Wednesday evening through Thursday afternoon was the worst - I just huddled in a chair by the Christmas tree and blew my nose and coughed and drowsed. Friday I went back to work, in a somewhat abbreviated version of the show (we had to take some tucks in a couple of numbers to spare my voice). We begin our final week in the run tomorrow, and I'm hoping I'll be back at full strength by then.

Since the cold took the mickey right out of me, I didn't get to the first round of edits my editor sent out last week, and did no writing. I finished the second Pratchett book and made some progress in another. I may have found a near-perfect sublet in midtown Manhattan and just have to coordinate when to come up and see the place - probably the first week in January. Hope the weather cooperates.

Start first editing pass on Book #4 in my fantasy series - still on Chapter 1
Go over beta notes on Book #3 (as they come in) - done
Finish the three books I started last month - 2 of 3
Finish David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas - currently on Page 451
Continue with holiday baking - done

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's December 31st and I'm about to head out to do the final two performances of my show, so I think it's safe to say that my December goals are as done as they're going to be. No progress on the writing front, but I did finish Atlas Obscura, one of the books I was reading - so that's a goal down. I didn't finish the McCullough and am giving myself official permission to stop reading. It's become a chore and I have too many books I want to read.

Hope everyone has a grand, glorious and happy New Year! I'll probably start the January 2017 thread tomorrow, so be thinking about your goals (writing and otherwise) so you can post them. I understand stating one's goals makes it more likely that you'll achieve them!

Start first editing pass on Book #4 in my fantasy series - still on Chapter 1/didn't finish
Go over beta notes on Book #3 (as they come in) - done
Finish the three books I started last month - 3 of 3 done
Finish David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas - didn't finish
Continue with holiday baking - done

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Not a good month. I succeeded at holiday, but failed at goals. I did at least get four chapters edited, plus halfway through another. But short stories? Reading? Nope. A lot of my creativity went to the game, but even with that I did pretty badly.

Next year. Next year.

1. Write/edit three stories. 1/3
2. Edit four chapters of Book 2. 4/4
3. Read five books. 2/5
4. Min 500 words or two pages edited a day. Nope. Failed.
5. Game world/story creation.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Right. I do not expect this review to be good, because I forget what was on my list, but here goes!

December Goals:

• Finish short story (or at least decide if what I'm doing is working or if I want to start over)
    Nope. I think I'm going with what I have, but I didn't really look at it.
  • Edit Novella
    Nope. Worked on other things instead.
  • Make plan to edit NaNo projects starting in Jan
    Nope. Other than acknowledging it needs to happen, I have no plan.
Constant Goals:

• Work on shifting wake-up & go-to-sleep times
    Ha, ha, ha, ha! Nope. In fact, they got worse over my holidays.
  • Catch up on Marvel shows
    I give up.
  • Keep writing streak going (12/12 months so far)
    Success! Finally. I pulled off my (reasonable) minimum daily word count every day in 2016. Pretty pleased with that one, actually.

December was pretty much a bust for me all around, but at least I got my holiday items accomplished. I'm going to be happy with that and do better in January.

Evabeth

Registered
Reaction score
I have been working so hard all year. I think now is the time to take it easy. Therefore, my goals are the following:

• Relax ---Done
  • Create New Year's Resolution---Done
  • Increase Typing Speed (starting at 60 wpm)---Done--- I officially average 61 wpm. Yep.
  • Play with my Rubik's Cubes--Nope---Instead, I've read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
As I expected, I hardly got any writing done the second half of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.