The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Without Words by Lillian Blaire: I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a steampunk Beauty and the Beast retelling, but it reads like one! I, for one, am not complaining, because after reading this story, my brain is full of floaty pink warm fuzzies. It takes a moment for a ship to be born. An airship, of course! And the other kind. Hells yes. >:-D I love the addition of backstory, and how said backstory makes the whole thing more plausible and not creepy at all, thus allowing the reader full enjoyment of said floaty pink warm fuzzies. If you like steampunk or fairy tale-ish stories, this is a must!

There's only one flaw I can find: it's over far, far too soon!

Death in Oils by J. J. Litke: Whoa, cool! I'm sure most of use were curious about the fate of the missing muffin, but as it turns out, that was the least nefarious happening in this joint! I won't give it away, but I love the concept! Very cool.

---

I've sent out my story to everyone who requested it. If you requested 'Water' and have not received it, please feel free to prod me! My computer restarted at a random moment, and I had to rebuild my spreadsheet somewhat. I seriously can't remember if I forgot to mention the word count, but 'Water' is ~3400 words.

Last edited:

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been unmasked, by none other than the official Goat Getter, PastyAlien. If anyone would like to read, "Sir Jacsey of Pendleton and Ladies' Devilry in White," feel free to send me a reppie. It features midnight capers, capricious gibbons, and mysterious vanishings.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Woo-hoo! Yesterday I both dinged and got dinged--something I don't think I've ever admitted in public before. If any of you want to read the story zanzjan called (with...er...maybe just a hint of hyperbole)
THE MOST AWESOMEST EVER
:thankyou:drop me your email address.

It's "A Matter of Taste," and the word count is ~2400.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Seriously, gang, you should read this. Short and hilarious. I adore these characters.

I have read The Sleeping Beauty and can attest for this. Read it read it read it!

Also, y'all srsly need to get better at guessing my gifter's story. Shots have been fired at it but none have hit and it needs to get hit cuz y'all need to read it cuz it was BEAUTIFUL and WONDERFUL and it gave me ALL THE FEELS!!! ALL OF THEM! And y'all need to read it and experience ALL THE FEELS too! So guess! Guess like the wind!

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Without Words by Lillian Blaire: I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a steampunk Beauty and the Beast retelling, but it reads like one! I, for one, am not complaining, because after reading this story, my brain is full of floaty pink warm fuzzies. It takes a moment for a ship to be born. An airship, of course! And the other kind. Hells yes. >:-D I love the addition of backstory, and how said backstory makes the whole thing more plausible and not creepy at all, thus allowing the reader full enjoyment of said floaty pink warm fuzzies. If you like steampunk or fairy tale-ish stories, this is a must!

There's only one flaw I can find: it's over far, far too soon!
Thank you for the awesome review!! I really appreciate it.

The offer still stands--if there's anyone else who'd like to read it, just rep or PM me your email address.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
So is it good, bad or just random weird that I haven't been guessed yet?

I dunno. I'm mostly going to go with random. But our days are numbered.

So many stories revealed last night! I'm losing track of who I've requested from.

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So is it good, bad or just random weird that I haven't been guessed yet?

Just random.

Completely unrelated, the moment feyngirl made a database of dings and nopes, we suddenly had an epidemic of correct guesses so MAYBE YOU'RE NEXT! >:)

Granted, I HAVE refrained from guessing you because I know what you wrote. I know it is going to be glorious.

Y'all, you need to guess Siana and then read her story!

On that note, you need to guess that which is my gift too, because it is amazing and perfect!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Water by Bobo The Bard

"Water" was my gift for the SSSFFSS this year, and I'm not going to say it disappointed me. It did not disappoint me. But I am going to say: it was like drinking apple-juice when you expect to be drinking water, and not nearly enough apple-juice to quench your thirst, either. It started out all confuzzly, and then got real, real like, surREAL, and stuff. And (no spoilers) but there was a goat, like, actually! :D

The level of potential hidden in Bobo's story is comparable to that of rocket fuel, in that, when used correctly, under the right circumstances, with enough work, it can take you outta this world. (Also rocket fuel is derived from water, just fyi! :O).

So, "Water" was, well... aside from making my heart ache and my toes crinkle, providing cackles and a massive existential crisis simultaneously, reading "Water" made me thirsty for more. Not just more of this story in particular, or even stories in general, it made me want to see this story in particular reach for the stars and catapult itself outta this silly solar system. On a rocket, full of people who need reading material, including me, far, far away from the oceans of earth. But only if the wifi is strong... And also the New York Times' Bestseller List :eek:

There. That's my (sorta) review of "Water" by our very own Bobo The Bard. Read it and weep.

-----

Well damn, you guys, it looks like my reading schedule just opened up a bit, and I think, that maybe, just maybe, I should be able to squeeze in a few Sisyphus stories before next year... say... 51 of them??? ;)

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
I was brought down by a hit from Bobo, so if anyone would like to read 'The Heart of the Forest' feel free to rep me. I want to say thanks to EFB, my giftee, for providing such an amazing prompt. As soon as I saw it I knew what the story would be about, and within a couple of days it had expanded to... well, you can find out if you like! I was really hoping I would get the prompt as otherwise I knew I would have to write it anyway, the idea just wouldn't leave me alone. And the strange thing is, it is the sort of thing I would never, ever have chosen to write on my own, and yet it was one of the most enjoyable writing experiences I've ever had.

Also, y'all srsly need to get better at guessing my gifter's story. Shots have been fired at it but none have hit and it needs to get hit cuz y'all need to read it cuz it was BEAUTIFUL and WONDERFUL and it gave me ALL THE FEELS!!! ALL OF THEM! And y'all need to read it and experience ALL THE FEELS too! So guess! Guess like the wind!
Thanks! :Sun:I'm so glad you liked it.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I definitely liked it, feyngirl! I LOVED it!:snoopy:

LOL, I didn't realize when I posted this morning that Bobo had already guessed your story! Good job Bobo! Now, everyone can go read 'Heart of the Forest' and get blown away by the awesome!!!

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I done been guessed! By Kitkit. Well done you!

If anyone would like to read Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth - just send me a PM - also, unless you specify you want the epilogue too (which includes a fledgling beginning of m/m romance), I'll send without the epilogue. It's not necessary to read the epilogue to enjoy the story.

Have I confused everyone yet? :D

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
*sits atop her story hoard* It's going to take me ages to get through everything, but so far all of the stories have been excellent.

(I'm getting ready to drop hints about mine. In fact, I think I'll put one in my sig.)

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
*sits atop her story hoard* It's going to take me ages to get through everything, but so far all of the stories have been excellent.

I know what you mean. I've been slowly working my way through my hoard. Such wonderful stories!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've got a growing list of people I want to contact about their stories. Growing and growing and growing....

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
P.S. If anyone else wants to add "Space Elves" (6,986 words) to their story hoard, the offer is still open to rep or PM me and I'll be happy to send it to you. :)

P.P.S. I'm loving reading the reviews some of you have written! What a nice thing to do! <3

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I won't be offended if I don't get too many requests. Mine's definitely on the long side of the length bell curve.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a growing list of people I want to contact about their stories. Growing and growing and growing....

Same. I'm writing hard this month, but I'm going to have to make time to read.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Riv got me! lol If anyone wants to read it rep me with the email address and I'll get it to you as soon as possible.

Shadow

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I haz been guessinated by a shotgun blast of guesses from Feyngirl!!!

Leap of Fate.

Curses. Foiled again.

:greenie

PM or rep me your email addy if you want a peek at this drafty draft of doom.

As Riv's giftee, I must insist that you all make grabbie hand plans for this story. Because it has DRAGONS but not just any old dragons, the setting is gorgeous, and the MC is this fierce, strong, compassionate mature woman who grabs your attention from the start. And if you read it while listening to Sam Tinnesz' Hold On For Your Life...so. Many. Feels.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I do hope someone guesses "The Last Dance Before Midnight" soon. It looks a little dark for my personal tastes (yet very intriguing nonetheless!) but every time I see someone mention it, the song, "The Last Midnight" from Sondheim's Into the Woods starts playing in my head. :p

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the review, Dammy! I've been having a shitty weekend, so this was an absolutely fantastic thing to wake up to today. :)

I wish I could have addressed the prompt better. Believe me, I had a different version of the story that did hit the notes I missed this time, but then I had to cut a lot of it out in order to get the first draft down, else risk not having a story at all.

I do plan to bring it closer to the prompt in subsequent drafts though. There's a lot that I have yet to add in and develop.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
8 stories left. 8 authors left.

If only I had more guesses. :tongue (There should be a prize for worst guesser. The "Never Gave Up, Never Surrendered" award. *cough*)