The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all.

We have so much talent here, that I can't help myself. I must do quick reviews just because these stories deserve to be read.

In the Cloud by PastyAlien:

Waverly Wong by griffins:

Murphy's Law by CuddlyClementine:

Thanks for the reviews! Woooo.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Glad to do 'em. :) I loved reading the ones Dammy wrote last year.

The Little Lighter Girl by Sue77. Let's just say I figured out what I was in for and was mentally prepared for FEELS - and that in no way lessened the impact. This is a beautifully written modern culture-swapped retelling of an existing tale, and it's translated beautifully, while still keeping the spirit of the tale intact. I guess things change. People don't. I do wonder which prompt she got that led to this idea. :) Definitely one to read! You will be in agony by the end, but it's worth it.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Bobo! I'm so glad you enjoyed The Little Lighter Girl - I thoroughly enjoyed writing it. Am I allowed to say who gave me my prompt? It was perfect for me and set my mind in motion immediately.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Look at Bobo, spreading the love.

I was going to wait until everyone was revealed to order up some hot sisyphus stories, but I can't wait that long. PM attack!

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm waiting until the majority of the stories are guessed to start asking for things to read. The guessing thread itself distracts me so much there wouldn't be much point in asking now. :p Also, while I'd love to be able to read all of the awesome stories you guys have written I'll have to stick to the shorter ones because my eyeballs just strain so easily when I read on the computer.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to stick to the shorter ones because my eyeballs just strain so easily when I read on the computer.

That's a large part of the reason I shuffle everything off to my old kindle. (Well that and easy text resizing because blind-ish). If you don't have one, there's a number of apps for phones/tablets that will filter out the blue light of your screen to ease strain. I swear by Twilight, personally.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I swear by Twilight, personally.

Flux 2. Don't know how I lived without it. It syncs with your timezone and dims the screen as night falls so slowly you don't realize it. I also put my waking time, so little notices start popping telling me to go to sleep when I stay up too late. If I get three, I know I'm having a good word night! :D

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
That's a large part of the reason I shuffle everything off to my old kindle. (Well that and easy text resizing because blind-ish). If you don't have one, there's a number of apps for phones/tablets that will filter out the blue light of your screen to ease strain. I swear by Twilight, personally.

Flux 2. Don't know how I lived without it. It syncs with your timezone and dims the screen as night falls so slowly you don't realize it. I also put my waking time, so little notices start popping telling me to go to sleep when I stay up too late. If I get three, I know I'm having a good word night! :D
*takes notes*

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score

*takes notes*

*copies Effby's notes*

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For Richard:

giphy_zpsbwkswick.gif

Well played, sir!

ETA: Anyone is welcome to read it.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I am hoarding guessed stories like a great big story dragon.

Now If only I could hoard some correct guesses. :tongue

EnzoC

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm hoarding the title of "most incorrect guesses" lol

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
How are you guys without spreadsheets keeping up? I can't keep combing through 13 pages to see if someone has already asked my guess. :flag:

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
Waverly Wong by griffins: You guys. I love our narcissistic self-loathing ass-kicking double-parking heroine. Action/comedy + Lovecraftian existentialism! All the characters and world are overly bright and leap off the page with realism and a sense of hidden sadness - and the words themselves FEEL that way. Though the story itself is in-your-face, fast-paced, hilarious, and urgent, there's a sense that the world is infinitely and unknowable, which hits just the right note of aforementioned Lovecraftian existentialism that I absolutely love. It's freaking impressive how many layers of world, mood, and characterization griffins managed to pack into one tale, while still actually telling one damn good story that never lets up. Not to mention, there are other killer bits that I won't reveal! Read it, read it, read it! (And PLEASE tell me this will have a sequel.)

Whoaaaa, permission to frame this and store it in a hermetically-sealed trophy case so I can keep this feeling with me forever?

I'm waiting until the majority of the stories are guessed to start asking for things to read. The guessing thread itself distracts me so much there wouldn't be much point in asking now. :p Also, while I'd love to be able to read all of the awesome stories you guys have written I'll have to stick to the shorter ones because my eyeballs just strain so easily when I read on the computer.

Oh shoot, is it St. Paddy's day already? I'm inherently pincheable, and is without green attire, please send help!

*copies Effby's notes*

*copies Damoclian's notes*

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
How are you guys without spreadsheets keeping up? I can't keep combing through 13 pages to see if someone has already asked my guess. :flag:
Before I make a guess, I do a thread search on the title and/or name of the person I want to guess. You still have to look at a few posts, but not thirteen pages of them. :)

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Still in the process of requesting stories; there are so many I want to read! I plan to download them to my tablet and savour them over the next couple of weeks (currently my reading time is limited to thirty seconds before bed--that's how long it takes for my eyes to slam shut). So I will reply to/thank everyone who sent me their story, but it might take me a while . . . :)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I is guessed.

In case anyone wants to know whether it is a space ship from the excerpt of The Sound of the Stars, feel free to send me a rep and I'll send a copy your way. It's a about 5100 words.
Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't call it 'keeping up'. :roll:

I just go with something, whether it has been guessed or not.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Btw, I've sent my story out to everyone that asked for it. I think. If you wanted to read it and haven't gotten it yet, don't hesitate to nudge. I'm not the best organized under the best of circumstances and the flu really threw me for a loop.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I've been sending out requests the minute a story I want to read gets guessed. :D (well, maybe not exactly a minute) I've read a couple - and sent my applause to the author's of stories I've read. If I requested a story from you - you WILL get applause and rep for your story once I've read it!

But I do have to say - I could read Tiddly's stories ALL DAY! Such good fun with Jane and Az and Prince Ted.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
That was my gift this year, and I have to agree! It was FAB!!! (And if you haven't read the others in the series, you gotta do it NOW!)

Tiddly was kind enough to send me the other two as well. I agree. They're ALL awesome! I had a very enjoyable evening last night. :D