The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to write a super-serious story next year. I just sent my story to the ever-cunning Maggie and now she's got the scent of my words.

BTW, whoever wrote "Broken Upon Sisyphus Rock" is a diabolical genius. Cloaking yourself with Victorian verbiage--it feels like I'm reading a dead Egyptologist's diary. Nobody talks like that on an internet forum. It's a perfect mask!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Ahaha, you don't have that much to fear from me, Griffins. It's really only TJ I have the wordscent of, apparently. XD And Bobo, but I can't guess Bobo because I know too much behind the scenes.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I don't know if my writing style is distinct enough for it to stand out, but Maggie's read mine now too, so I guess we'll see come next year!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, my writing style is not recognizable from one year to the next as I've only been poked at a couple of times.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I have one scene I wanna rework and two to flesh out. I'll be sending it to my giftee when finished, iffen they want it. Once the sucker's guessed, if anyone wants to read it, I'll be happy to send it to them. *bats eyelashes*

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
I seem to be one of those in-between writers. Not sure if people don't recognize my stuff because it's different every year, or because I just don't post that much, or if it's just not distinctive. Oh well, time will tell.

I don't know too much about people's wordscents, but I happen to know too much behind the scenes regarding what my writing buddies wrote.

For the record, I KNOW that more than one person here has written in archaic language, and more than one person has written about space elves.

Nothing is a guarantee, after all. We only know so much based on what we've read, but everyone here has whole bodies of work, published or unpublished, that we here haven't seen.

I can see where this is going, of course. Sisyphus forces us either to write outside our box or to lay bare heretofore hidden facets of our own skills. Eventually there will be enough of us learning enough of other people's wordscents (love that word!), to the point where, deprived of nopetrolling, we will instead direct our efforts towards a guessing frenzy of cloak and dagger word work, careful misdirection, and cleverly masking our style vs. employing increasingly convoluted Sherlockian tactics to unravel these knots.

It will be epic.

By the way, whenever I am guessed, I would love to share! Just PM or rep me your email address if you'd like to read my story '----

Ehehehehehehehe.

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be one of those in-between writers. Not sure if people don't recognize my stuff because it's different every year, or because I just don't post that much, or if it's just not distinctive. Oh well, time will tell.

I don't know too much about people's wordscents, but I happen to know too much behind the scenes regarding what my writing buddies wrote.

For the record, I KNOW that more than one person here has written in archaic language, and more than one person has written about space elves.

Nothing is a guarantee, after all. We only know so much based on what we've read, but everyone here has whole bodies of work, published or unpublished, that we here haven't seen.

I can see where this is going, of course. Sisyphus forces us either to write outside our box or to lay bare heretofore hidden facets of our own skills. Eventually there will be enough of us learning enough of other people's wordscents (love that word!), to the point where, deprived of nopetrolling, we will instead direct our efforts towards a guessing frenzy of cloak and dagger word work, careful misdirection, and cleverly masking our style vs. employing increasingly convoluted Sherlockian tactics to unravel these knots.

It will be epic.

By the way, whenever I am guessed, I would love to share! Just PM or rep me your email address if you'd like to read my story '----

Ehehehehehehehe.

Well, then assuming you didn't do a false-guess for your own story, and Maggie didn't do a false guess for your story...let's see, extrapolating that data, cross referencing it against what has been guessed for you already and removing all stories that have been correctly guessed thus far...that leaves 16 stories that could be yours.

*Polishes darts*
Oh yes, I'm coming for you.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Is it me, or does guessing kind of feel like subbing? It's like firing off stories to markets and getting back: nope, nope, nope . . . and every once in a very long while there's a DING! And then you're all: :hooray:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, then assuming you didn't do a false-guess for your own story, and Maggie didn't do a false guess for your story...let's see, extrapolating that data, cross referencing it against what has been guessed for you already and removing all stories that have been correctly guessed thus far...that leaves 16 stories that could be yours.

*Polishes darts*
Oh yes, I'm coming for you.

Kitkit shoots, Kitkit SCORES!!

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
*checks back*
*is dead*

Nice work, Kitkit. XD

Now that my secret has been laid bare, feel free to message or rep me if you want to read Water. Word count is around 3400.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Apparently, my writing style is not recognizable from one year to the next as I've only been poked at a couple of times.

I went through trying to parse out your style, but I've tried with multiple people and it gets me nowhere. The two I got I felt really strongly about all of a sudden for no good reason. So maybe I should just keep trying that. :)

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
You'll never go wrong asking first. Most folks might not mind, but it's a professional courtesy a lot of writters appreciate. Not everyone is comfortable in the public eye.

That said, you're more than welcome to reference me any way you please. I'm exceptionally durable.

I am also fine with references and free publicity. :)

I'm fine with references. Kinda wish I had something published so it would count as free publicity...

I don't mind being referenced either. :Thumbs:

Count me in with being okay being referenced if need be, too.

I'm fine with that, Dammy. Then again, I use my real name here anyway. Not like you're exposing anything.

Yeah, I don't mind being mentioned. Kinda wish I had something out there other than a dead blog. XD

YAy!! :D Thank you all for your input, I do so love having permission for things!! :p Fair spoilers warning for the blog post, Cobra, you are a feature throughout! :eek: I just wanted to ask generally before I went to the specifically mentioned people.

I can't promise I'll mention you ALL over THERE, :)P) and I'm not gonna link to your AW pages or anything like that. I just didn't want to use a person's name who didn't want it used. I may do twitter links for certain impactful on me individuals... this isn't free press though, more like.... salacious libel :eek:

Oh, and each and every one of YOU has my permission (but no obligation) to go to my blog (recently resurrected) and follow me. Go on, you're allowed, I review books and recommend things and talk about words sometimes when I remember to do so....
<.<
>.>
/shameless self promotion

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Ahaha, you don't have that much to fear from me, Griffins. It's really only TJ I have the wordscent of, apparently. XD And Bobo, but I can't guess Bobo because I know too much behind the scenes.

:ROFL::roll:

I can't figure out how I feel about this besides amused. This is the second year in a row I've been nailed at the beginning, by a single person to boot. And I even thought this was a little different. *Was very, very wrong*

But later this year I might try to clean the story up a little, fill it in with some subplot ideas I had and sub it. Still sending it to anyone who reps or PMs asking for it in the meantime.

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Y'all.

We have so much talent here, that I can't help myself. I must do quick reviews just because these stories deserve to be read.

In the Cloud by PastyAlien: What a killer concept. Don't be fooled into thinking it's a simple romance. It's written softly, but with razor sharp edges that take it to an entirely new dimension. Quite literally. Short, sweet, subtle, sensational. Definitely recommend!

Waverly Wong by griffins: You guys. I love our narcissistic self-loathing ass-kicking double-parking heroine. Action/comedy + Lovecraftian existentialism! All the characters and world are overly bright and leap off the page with realism and a sense of hidden sadness - and the words themselves FEEL that way. Though the story itself is in-your-face, fast-paced, hilarious, and urgent, there's a sense that the world is infinitely and unknowable, which hits just the right note of aforementioned Lovecraftian existentialism that I absolutely love. It's freaking impressive how many layers of world, mood, and characterization griffins managed to pack into one tale, while still actually telling one damn good story that never lets up. Not to mention, there are other killer bits that I won't reveal! Read it, read it, read it! (And PLEASE tell me this will have a sequel.)

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm NOT ready to order my SSSFFSS stories with a side of sisyphus and sisyfancy! I have so many do's to thing AHHHHHH, I will be making the rounds soon, though!! :D When you hear from me, I will be like a reader in the night, stealing away my sleepy-times for the sake of your awesomesauce stories! Just you wait, fellow SIsyfants!!!! XD

(And yes, all of you who have now asked to read the brilliance that is me, know that someday, someday eventually when I don't have family get-togethers to attend and cook for, I WILL read your story. ;))

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's okay Dammy, take your time. Life happens. :)

Murphy's Law by CuddlyClementine: This story grabs you by the heart with the most adorable dog...before everything goes dark and dangerous! Love the dog's POV paired with the human's inscrutable (to the dog) behavior. It's gripping, scary, and emotional. Yet, because it's the dog's POV, you don't know the full story of what is going on. It's a slightly longer story, but worth it - once you start, it draws you in as you wonder just what is going on, and you'll be turning the pages until you hit the end (an emotional sucker punch to the gut) - at which point, you'll be like, what, that's it! Need moar!

Last edited: