Why do you NaNo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoglobe

Registered
Reaction score
Why do you commit to this crazy journey that is NaNo?

For me, I've been doing it for about three years because of the accountability. I know this isn't true for a lot of people, but I work best on a deadline. I was also lucky enough to be put in a great camp NaNo cabin that turned into a year-round writing group for two years now. I love the community its given me, especially since I don't have writers I live around to kick me into gear when I need it.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I do it because it's a valid excuse to tell my family to leave me the f*** alone so I can accomplish something. They don't--quite--, but it's better than non-NaNo time.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Same. Motivation. The week since I've finished has been so much tougher--I'm so distracted and have little motivation. Waah.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I like the challenge.

I like that I *must* move WRITING to the forefront of my life.

I like the community interaction with NaNo, especially the in-person write ins. (It sucks that they're all an hour away from me, but they're worth the effort and gas money.)

I like that it gives me a concrete writing goal.

I like that it gives me the OK to abandon whatever project I'm sick of and work on a whole new shiny. (Then I get sick of it and Dec 1 go back to the other project. It's good for my ADD. LOL)

I like that I have (almost) a whole brand new book to work with at the end of 30 days.

I like that my non-writer friends are super impressed by the idea of writing a book in a month. (Except my one lovely friend who thought that since it only takes a few hours to read a book, it surely doesn't take much longer than that to write a book...)

I like that it's near-instant gratification, seeing the word count rising at a rapid pace.

I like the badges.

And t-shirts. I love t-shirts. I once did a 5K solely for the t-shirt. And I *love* the collegiate sweatshirt. I love that there's a special Winner t-shirt. That means I pre-order it and then I MUST finish, because I couldn't wear a winner t-shirt without winning. It would just feel wrong.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I like having a little bar graph that holds me accountable as well as a few dozen people able to see if I'm not making that bar graph go up. I work best with a not-set-by-me deadline, but since no one is yet hiring me to write for them, I have to depend on NaNo to keep me going.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I needed a kick in the pants. I have this wonderful opportunity to have more time for writing, and I was not taking advantage. After a month of Nano, I'm in the habit of daily kicking the words butt, and I hope to continue with it.

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing NaNo for about four years, and I've loved it every time. I think the reason I do it is because it gives me an excuse to sit down and do what I love: write! Writing is everything to me, and I simply adore it, which makes NaNo a magical time of year for me. I get excited every year for it! It's a wonderful opportunity to do something enjoyable.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I do it because it's a valid excuse to tell my family to leave me the f*** alone so I can accomplish something. They don't--quite--, but it's better than non-NaNo time.

Me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.