Writing for hire in someone else's IP

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Has anyone here done this before? I've been approached to do a write-for-hire game tie-in short story (no it's not Warhammer, but a similar sort of thing) that looks like it could be great fun and a fairly easy few hundred quid. Any advice / pitfalls anyone can share?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Advice: Don't get too attached to your story - your editor may love it, but if the licensor does not, you rewrite. Get as much information as you can on the subject beyond what the average fan would know (preferably directly from the licensor). Be prepared to pitch a story, and then pitch it in more detail and then write the story only after getting approval at all steps.

Pitfalls: They can reject the story for any reason and then you're stuck with a story you may not be able to ever sell.

I've done media tie-in work since 1998. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Advice: Don't get too attached to your story - your editor may love it, but if the licensor does not, you rewrite. Get as much information as you can on the subject beyond what the average fan would know (preferably directly from the licensor). Be prepared to pitch a story, and then pitch it in more detail and then write the story only after getting approval at all steps.

Pitfalls: They can reject the story for any reason and then you're stuck with a story you may not be able to ever sell.

I've done media tie-in work since 1998. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Perfect, thanks mate.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
You can always ask if they have "bible" or reference document for the IP.

The Grantville Gazette stuff is kind of like that, everything goes into the forum for fact-checking before it's accepted, and there's a resource page too. (They are, perhaps a less demanding market as far as other metrics of writing quality.)

It is a tad bit stressful writing something that might not be accepted and can't go anywhere else, but it's also excellent practice in writing on-spec and to a particular market.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cheers Aggy - they've sent me a sort of "writers crib sheet" thing with some background fluff, but there's not a huge amount of detail so far.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
For me it was an awful experience where three men with backgrounds in business and computer science, with a single seminar in storytelling at one convention once, bullied over everything I gently suggested and it got so bad I would record meetings with them. I was told to literally write something. Then, I got in trouble for writing it. Then, when I presented the recording as evidence that I was following direct instructions, I was in even more trouble and I was very pleased when the end of the position came.

I've heard people say it can be an amazing experience. My experience was bad enough to scare me off for life. No, thanks.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers Aggy - they've sent me a sort of "writers crib sheet" thing with some background fluff, but there's not a huge amount of detail so far.

Some projects may have more leeway than others. Star Wars, FREX, had lots of room for expansion and developing original characters and settings within the larger universe. The Ring of Fire stuff is a little more limited in certain aspects due in part to the size of the setting. (And there's a long list of Uptimers that cannot be added to, so if you want to write a story about folks from Grantville and not Germany you have to petition to be allowed to use one of the existing characters.)

So, some of the possibilities will be limited by whichever IP you would be connected too. (Like I said, the Grantville stuff is fun, but my coauthor handles the submissions to the forum. I'm not sure I'd be quite as keen if I were doing all that on my own. ;) )

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Have you read Terry Brooks's writing book Sometimes the Magic Works? There are two chapters in particular you might want to read: the one where he was contracted to write the movie tie-in book for Hook (the Peter Pan sequel), and the one where he wrote a novelization for a Star Wars movie. One he described as the worst mistake of his life, one as one of the best experiences he had. His insights show how the people involved can make or break a project, and why it's worth knowing a bit about whom you'll be working for before signing on the dotted line.

So, setting contract issues aside, are these people you think you can work with? (And do they pay their bills?)

Last edited:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
One of my current favorite authors, Diane Duane, has written in multiple other universes including Star Trek so what I'm saying is based on her accounts. You may not run into this as much with just a tie-in short story but one of the big rules is that there be no surprises for your publisher. In the case of license tie-in novels, once they approve an outline, you need to stick to what they approved or get clearance from them if you have to change something. In more general terms, ask all the questions you need to to be very clear on what's expected of you, what sort of approval process there is, what parts of canon you can and can't touch.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Have you read Terry Brooks's writing book Sometimes the Magic Works? There are two chapters in particular you might want to read: the one where he was contracted to write the movie tie-in book for Hook (the Peter Pan sequel), and the one where he wrote a novelization for a Star Wars movie. One he described as the worst mistake of his life, one as one of the best experiences he had. His insights show how the people involved can make or break a project, and why it's worth knowing a bit about whom you'll be working for before signing on the dotted line.

So, setting contract issues aside, are these people you think you can work with? (And do they pay their bills?)

No I haven't, I'll have to hunt down a copy - thank you.

I know the company is fine, my publisher actually put them on to me as the lead game designer is a former colleague of his. This is only a short story and they've already accepted my synopsis/proposal so hopefully there won't be too many arguments!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just an update if anyone's interested - my submission was accepted with only one minor edit request before that, and I've been cleared to invoice them.

It was good fun, and the editor's a nice guy. 10/10, would do again.

deafblindmute

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I wish I could do that. :D Honestly, it seems like a ton of fun to do tie-in material. How did you get approached to do this? I suppose you'd have to publish stuff that draws their attention first.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I got approached directly by the editor at the games company, who got my name from my publisher who used to work with said editor and recommended me. I suspect this sort of thing often works on a “who you know” basis, but this was my first rodeo so I’m not really sure.

And yes, it was a lot of fun!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, if anyone remembers this - I never did anything else for that company, but one thing lead to another and I've just received my fourth short story commission from Black Library / Warhammer 40K.

The experience has been really good so far. I'm not sure I could stay within the IP long enough to write a whole novel, but the shorts are great fun to do and make good beer money :)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Congrats, Pete. I never was able to break in with the Black Library, even with a couple of recommendations from other Trek writers who also do stuff for the Library.

However, I am doing some new tie-in work for Green Ronin (Freeport), and may pitch them some Mutant and Masterminds stuff in a bit. Also, another small publisher has the rights to do some stuff with Heroic Publishing and AC Comics, so I'm doing some super-hero tie-in stuff too. It's good to keep a foot in the tie-in world, but I wouldn't be averse to doing more Trek or Who again someday in the future.

FJCavallo

Registered
Reaction score
I did some Black Library stuff a few years ago. Not 40k, original fantasy universe, Gotrek & Felix etc. Overall they were a great bunch to work with, and they paid decent money.

My only caveat, with Warhammer or any work for hire: on my last piece I disagreed with the editors about the direction of the story. It’s their world, so except for a few minor concessions, they got what they wanted. When it came out a lot of fans felt the same way I did and said so in their reviews. The thing is, they naturally assumed it was all my doing, when nothing could have been further from the truth.

My long-winded way of saying, the knock on any work for hire can be that at the end of the day, it’s not really yours, but it does have your name on it. Most of the time that’s fine, but when it’s not, it stings a bit.

On balance though, it was a great company to write for and I enjoyed the work a lot.

Last edited: