Scrivener's Error post on memoirs and publishing

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
AW's own Jaws, a lawyer very familiar with publishing, recently posted Screening Devices, on memoirs and the publishing world, on Scrivener's Error.

Penny Graham

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the country on five acres of woods, in T
AW's own Jaws, a lawyer very familiar with publishing, recently posted Screening Devices, on memoirs and the publishing world, on Scrivener's Error.
Hi Aconite,
I keep trying to access that site on Scrivener's Error, and I get a blank page with the end of the text far off in the left column. Arrows don't bring it over either. Any suggestions? And thanks for that one even though I can't get it up.

calamity

Registered
Reaction score
Try going into view and reducing your text size. That's what I had to do.

But in a nutshell it says that memoirs are a tough sell, if not impossible, and like selling "hamburger to a vegetarian."

Well, I guess we should all just turn off our computers now and quit. I don't know about all you, but I'm throwing in the towel, not just on memoirs but on writing period. Who needs it? I've always dreamt of raising fireants in Alcapoko, maybe I'll do that now, or climb Mt Everest in roller skates. Maybe even take enough testosterone to grow me a Fu manchu.

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com
DON'T QUIT, CALAMITY!!

There are great studies being done in the usefulness of journal-writing as therapy which, some would argue, is similar to (if not the same as) memoir. There is a market for memoir.

KEEP WRITING!!

If writing were that easy, everyone would do it, and what would be the fun in that?

calamity

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I was just joking around. Believe me, I've tried to quit writing before. An hour later I'm back at the computer. Sigh. I've been fairly lazy today. I wrote maybe 800 words. I'm just not feeling it. But I did outline a chapter and start the rough draft, so I guess that's better than nothing. :)

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
99.9% of all books never see mass publication.

While I recognize the issues mentioned, I doubt if memoir is any harder to sell than anything else.

In the end, a compelling and relevant story, told in a manner that makes you want to keep reading, will sell. If you write a book that any reader can't put down once they start, it will find a market.

The fact is, only a tiny fraction of book submissions meet that criteria.

Penny Graham

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the country on five acres of woods, in T
Try going into view and reducing your text size. That's what I had to do.

But in a nutshell it says that memoirs are a tough sell, if not impossible, and like selling "hamburger to a vegetarian."

Well, I guess we should all just turn off our computers now and quit. I don't know about all you, but I'm throwing in the towel, not just on memoirs but on writing period. Who needs it? I've always dreamt of raising fireants in Alcapoko, maybe I'll do that now, or climb Mt Everest in roller skates. Maybe even take enough testosterone to grow me a Fu manchu.
Thanks Calamity, I will try that. Maybe I don't want to though, haha, if that's what it says