How to Know You're Old

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always leaving my coffee cup somewhere and forgetting where i put it. One time I was looking for it by opening the fridge. My first thought was what was I looking for again?

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I picked up a six pack of Angry Orchard for my wife and got carded. I told the girl at the register that Johnson was still president when I was born, she said ‘who?’

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Andrew? :roll: F.D.R. I think (it was before D-day). Don't usually have that problem, as I'm bald (excuse me, follically challenged).

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
I'm rather an old buffoon, but if I had my time over again I'd be a police-officer - who only seem to get younger.
Your avatar Pony appears to be leaning on my garden fence. Thankfully it's still holding firm.

Fencer_24

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not that old, but when I mention magnetoscopes, floppy disks, phone cabins or cassette walkmans (walkmen?) in front of my daughters and get puzzled looks. Come on, I swear some of these are still in use!

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not that old, but when I mention magnetoscopes, floppy disks, phone cabins or cassette walkmans (walkmen?) in front of my daughters and get puzzled looks. Come on, I swear some of these are still in use!

You're not that old, but own it... you're old enough.

Me too. I still remember the glory days of making mix-tapes from records. The horror when a song got half cut off on the last side... How deliciously analogue.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
You're not that old, but own it... you're old enough.

Me too. I still remember the glory days of making mix-tapes from records. The horror when a song got half cut off on the last side... How deliciously analogue.

Or having the DJ talk over the intro or outro of the song you've been trying to record over-the-air for like a week.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Or having the DJ talk over the intro or outro of the song you've been trying to record over-the-air for like a week.

I still have several songs that mentally have this voice over from the DJ that was talking over the beginning or ending of a song.

"Hey hey hey listeners, it's time to flip n fry on this warm and sunny Sunday...so if you're out in the sun, rotate and don't forget to hydrate!"then in comes Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still have my Walkman, in with the emergency stuff. Its radio is decent and it doesn't take up much space. And it sure is yellow!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I only read some of this, but wanted to add my bit:

When I was a kid, "Better Dead than Red" was what Republicans said to Democrats.

When I was a young adult, the word "wacky" meant silly in a madcap way. Not wacko.

I remember when computers were mainframes, when people hung their laundry out to dry, when most neighborhoods of any size had a bookstore.

I remember when "vinyls" meant floorcoverings. I know all too well what a broken record sounds like.

I remember when stockings were held up by garters and girls caught hell from other girls for not wearing them.

I remember when boomers were considered idealists, not self-serving. (And I'm not sure we were or are either.)

But I didn't really feel old until I walked into AW seven years ago and had no idea what most of the acronyms meant.

I still don't have a cellphone, much less a smart one. Still don't text. Don't really understand what an ipad or ipod does. I've lived most of my life without TV access (although we do have something that looks like a TV that plays DVDs).

I still believe that life is too short for most shortcuts.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Last edited:

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
I still have several songs that mentally have this voice over from the DJ that was talking over the beginning or ending of a song.

"Hey hey hey listeners, it's time to flip n fry on this warm and sunny Sunday...so if you're out in the sun, rotate and don't forget to hydrate!"then in comes Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer

It's akin to having your prologue inked out!

New technology, I still find it amazing. My phone has 1200 songs on it and I can take my little portable wifi speaker into work - and no-one talks over the intros.
'Songs'. That doesn't sound hip enough. Tunes? Tracks! That sounds better.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Nope - it's always and forever gonna be a song! LOL

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just remembered that Beloit College puts out an annual list of the mindset of its incoming freshman class. You can find lots of the recent ones online. Here's the one for 2018, the kids starting this coming fall. Its intro says, Born in 1996, they have always had The Daily Show to set them straight, always been able to secure immediate approval and endorsement for their ideas through “likes” on their Facebook page, and have rarely heard the term “bi-partisan agreement.”

It's not the best list, and apparently it's not up to date either (references Jon Stewart, Toys R Us incorrect), but it's still amusing.

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
Nope - it's always and forever gonna be a song! LOL

Indeed that is a song by Rod Temperton. Yep, a song with proper lyrics and a tune.
But some of the modern stuff can in no way be described as a song - definitely not a tune. In fact the only relation they have to a track are sounding like a train in a tunnel.
Or am I getting old??

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
When I was young I still liked Glenn Miller at a time Elvis was just getting started. However I quickly embraced Rock & Roll, and basically there's not a lot of music I don't like. The new artists, most of whom I never heard of, don't impress me much. Yeah, I'm pretty ancient. I've been wondering if I'm so out of touch my writing will be the same way and no wonder I haven't been published lately.

Last edited:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
New one for the "You Know You're Old When" category:

Your microwave light bulb goes out, and you can't read the print on the side to tell you what size replacement part is needed.

Seriously...

Just happened...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you kept your mother-in-law's many magnifying glasses after her death because some were cool and all might be handy--and now you need them every time you change a light bulb because you can't read the wattage in dim light.

Oh, and you buy ever more magnifying glasses from American Science Surplus, which has some really nice ones to leave sitting on a table.

Maryn, not old, no siree

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
The worst of it was that;
i held it under a really good and bright light
i had my readers on
And STILL was unable to read it

The solution was to use my phone to take a well lit picture and then pinch and zoom in on that to read the damn imprinted type for the model and wattage

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that's pretty smart! I'm going to remember that. Or try to, anyway.

Maryn, realist

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How to Know You're Old?

If Facebook was shut down tomorrow, you wouldn't skip a beat - You still use the phone and the U.S. Postal Service to keep in touch with Peeps. :Shrug:

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
How to Know You're Old?

If Facebook was shut down tomorrow, you wouldn't skip a beat -

Am waiting for the day this happens.

You still use the phone and the U.S. Postal Service to keep in touch with Peeps. :Shrug:

The US Postal Service does more than deliver bills and paper-spam?

Guess I'm middle aged.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
If you've ever stopped to put your glasses on so you can hear someone better...

(happened 30 minutes ago :( )

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
I picked up a six pack of Angry Orchard for my wife and got carded. I told the girl at the register that Johnson was still president when I was born, she said ‘who?’
For some reason people think I am twenty years younger than I am so when occasionally asked about my age I tell them I was born when Truman was president. You can hear the gears turning - "who is Truman?"
I use fountain pens for most writing because those are what we learned to write in ink with. Ball point pens were new and expensive, and those holes in the desk tops were used for ink bottles.
Roughly thirty to thirty-five years ago getting older hit me hard. I was in an antique store looking around, and realized much of what was there was what I grew up with at home or at my grandparents homes. The kick in the shins was spotting textbooks I used in grade school, carefully stored in display counters to be preserved as something special. Bah.
As my nintey year old mother tells me "don't get old". I try.