How to Know You're Old

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw today that my high school's 50th reunion has been canceled. Not that I was planning to attend--it's 2000 miles from where I live--but there wasn't really any reason given except "circumstances beyond control." (Whose control?) Gee, do you think maybe the organizer and I are the only ones left alive?

Maryn, not sure about herself

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I understand - we had our 50th 6 years ago, any future ones are to be combined with other classes. I get notices from our "organizer" about illness and deaths. Many I don't remember, we had roughly 250 in the class.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was grandfathered in at the most basic level at Classmates.com, which means I get notices when people from my high school class have joined, posted a picture, or sent a private message. My class was about 550 students, and it's both amusing and sad that more than half the time, the names of people who've done whatever aren't even remotely familiar.

Funny, the things that seem like you'll always remember them in your youth that turn out to have exactly zero importance in your adult life.

Maryn, watching it rain

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Something can be sad and funny at the same time - got a notice one lady from our class died and my wife asked if I knew her. I said she was head cheerleader, very popular. She said, oh. you didn't know her then. Gee, you know how to hurt a guy. Of course she was right, the lady was way out of my league.

Michael Myers

Take a chance. Amaze yourself.
Registered
Reaction score
In the carpenter's shop eating oysters with the wa
Website
www.dancerandspy.com
I've lived in Phoenix suburbia so long I forgot the smell of alfalfa hay drying in the Wisconsin sun. Until the day I and the wife traveled back to visit our son and grandsons. We took a long road trip up to Door county for a camping trip. Drove by freshly-mown hayfields and rolled the window down to catch the aroma. Took me back a long ways to my farmboy days. They seemed sooooo long ago. It was rather warm outside; the car's AC was running. I sat at the open window like dog with its face to the wind. My youngest grandson asked from the back seat "Grandpa? What are you doing?" I told him "Smelling the hay." Everyone in the car gave a little giggle. Except my wife of 45 years. She knew.

I'm pretty sure I got a little bit older that day.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few of my hairs have gone white instead of grey.

That could be cool. No salt and pepper for me thank you. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just looked down at my feet, and I'm wearing ankle socks and slippers - In my mind, that's a total, 100% "Old Lady" look.

*Runs out to buy some Ben-Gay* :roll:

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I was talking to a kid (early 20s) at work the other day about libraries & I mentioned something about the card catalog & Dewey decimal system. He gave me a blank look. "The what?" he said.
The issue wasn't that the person you were talking to was young. He just doesn't know how libraries work. The Dewey Decimal System is still the standard by which libraries organize their books. The technology might have changed over the years, but the system didn't.

Don't feel old. That "kid" just doesn't know any better.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I felt old on Twitter this morning. Last week Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson announced he's got a new movie in the works about John Henry. This morning, he announced that most of the responses amounted to "Who?" I presume schools no longer teach American mythology.

Maryn, who'll tell you all about Old Stormalong and Pecos Bill

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except for Duncan being dead and all...

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
My class was about 550 students

How could they get into one class? In my country, in my time schools (high schools included) had classes of up to 40 students (now the limit is 25), and at Uni, the groups (how they were called) had about 20 or 25 students.

...Or are you talking about series/ generations? (i.e. all the classes of the same year in school/ uni?) We had in school up to I, i.e. 9 classes in our series, and in uni, at my faculty, at night courses where I attended, 6 groups.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean the senior graduating class, who, as students took many of the same classes. English, such a confusing language! I marvel at how well non-native speakers manage.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I felt old on Twitter this morning. Last week Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson announced he's got a new movie in the works about John Henry. This morning, he announced that most of the responses amounted to "Who?" I presume schools no longer teach American mythology.

Maryn, who'll tell you all about Old Stormalong and Pecos Bill

I can still see the cover of a book I had as a kid with a story about Pecos Bill and Paul Bunyan.

When a famous local person dies and he was exactly my age, it's a reminder. Especially when there are so many reminders around here. I remember watching Michael Jackson's Thriller playing on a huge screen at the EMP. And the sci-fi museum (downstairs), the original Forbidden Planet's Robbie the Robot is in that museum.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I assume one of the key signs is when you watch a show or movie about the kids and their crazy hijinks, you find yourself relating more to the adults who have to put up with all the kids’ crap.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can still see the cover of a book I had as a kid with a story about Pecos Bill and Paul Bunyan.
Did the cover and each story have an oil-painting-like illustration of each character in action? I remember looking at those pictures and realizing this was what paint-by-the-numbers pictures were trying to do. I remember Pecos Bill, John Henry, Paul Bunyon, Old Stormalong, and Mink Fink. It was probably a Weekly Reader Book Club offering.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just looked down at my feet, and I'm wearing ankle socks and slippers - In my mind, that's a total, 100% "Old Lady" look.

*Runs out to buy some Ben-Gay* :roll:
Nothing wrong with preventing our hot flashes from making our slippers sweaty.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
Yesterday I realized I have been in the computer world for fifty-three years. I started programming using plug boards in 1965. Now I can edit programs on my smart phone. From transistors to multiple processor chips. From hard drives which used huge platters for a few meg of data to tiny solid state drives with gigs of data. Quite a change in the world of ones and zeroes.
Now I feel real old!

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I realized I have been in the computer world for fifty-three years. I started programming using plug boards in 1965.
My mom used to bring home computer punch cards from work, since I was always hunting for paper scraps to cover with horse drawings. I still remember sifting through the cards, looking for the ones with the least amount of punches. Once I found a card with no punches at all, and it felt like I'd discovered a hidden treasure. More drawing space!

Gah, I'm old.

Titus

Registered
Reaction score
I feel old when I tell my clients "We've all done dumb shit. The government doesn't make my dumb shit criminal."

Miss Vicky

Getting the hang of it.
Registered
Reaction score
By most other people's standards, I'm not old... but I certainly feel that way.

Like the other day when I got an invitation to my 20th high school reunion.

Or when I'm having a conversation with a coworker and reference a movie or other bit of pop culture from the 80s or 90s and the other person doesn't have a clue wth I'm talking about.

Reaction score
The city of Brotherly Love & Sisterly Affection!
I knew I was getting old similar to what others have said - random body aches for no reason. Granted, falling at the race track while braking from one-hundred plus down to eighty-six miles per hour didn't help. That, and my hair line has receded like a solid inch over the past ten years. *blows out a deep breath.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, you have a hairline! That puts you well ahead of many, right?

It's no secret this old lady has to get up to use the facilities several times a night. It's just part of life. But lately, to get back into bed I have to pick which knee hurts less and should take the weight for a moment. That level of decision-making tends to wake me up more.