How to Know You're Old

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Twitter. They're all on Twitter. Young blood.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where else to complain about this...

I want to support my friends who are getting into streaming, but I also hate watching video games. I'd rather play. Also it annoys me a bit that they'd apparently rather spend their time hanging with random strangers on their streams than spend time with their RL friends. Is getting comments from random people really better than actual conversation with actual friends?

888.jpg

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mrs. MM once took her car into the dealership for scheduled maintenance per the owner's manual. The guy behind the service desk asked if her husband had come with her, and might he (the front desk guy) speak to him (me). I wasn't there, nor did I need to be. The young fellow had no idea what fury was about to hit him. Thereafter, they treated her properly.

Huh! Completely different at our Corvallis dealership. Kay takes care of checkups completely. She goes there with a list of questions and has each one listened to and answered completely. She's good at detecting condensation and says she gets zero.

On the other hand, I can't buy stuff for Kay at the local fabric and sewing store without a note. :greenie

Last edited:

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, I can't buy stuff for Kay at the local fabric and sewing store without a note. (quote)

Having been in fabric stores with my wife I've been known to make the assumption that any man I see in there is either married or has an unusual hobby. However, I have bought knickers for her without embarrassment. If they think I'm a cross-dresser that's their problem.:ROFL:

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
When kids you taught bring their kids into your class.

When you start talking about drugs in the sense of taking medication.

When metabolism becomes more than an abstract concept.

When you need to make a mid-intimacy adjustment because something pings in your hip. When the other participant makes fun of old people in the same tone as we used to do regarding actual old people.

ChloeRose

Taking the long view.
Registered
Reaction score
When your teenage son tells you he finds your abilities and inclinations for technology "interesting", with a quizzical expression of both amusement and pity.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
When your son is now 46, is losing his hair, and soon will be as bald as you are.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When your husband acts all superior because he can use the treadmill when your knees will not allow that--but he has to sit on the kitchen floor to see what's in the lower cupboard. (And you keep your mouth shut because you love him, inflexible or not.)

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, bending over isn't easy. Blood rushes to your head, you get dizzy, and besides, some excuse is better than none.:ROFL:

ChloeRose

Taking the long view.
Registered
Reaction score
But, do you make your own sound effects when bending over now? "Ugh" "Ooch" "Errrr", and so forth? (I do know from experience now....)

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Heck, I can make those sound effects just getting out of bed in the morning.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When new neighbors move in with young kids and you realize it's your turn to be in the neighborhood's older generation whose kids grew up here and are now adults living elsewhere.

Also when your son and most of his friends are married.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
When a girl you graduated with thinks it’s funny that her triceps don’t flex anymore, but jiggle.

When you need to lift your legs out of the car WITH YOUR HANDS because driving long distances has suddenly become an endurance test.

When I saved a “Happy 50th” card from a family member who gave it to me as a joke for my tenth birthday, and then I received it again 40 years later.

When the Bad Egg that everyone avoided was put away for doing a Bad Thing, but then you learn that his life sentence expired five years ago. *lock doors*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gorgeous.

Me like nature!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got an email from the coordinator of my high school reunion, and they are looking for a bunch of people they have lost contact with. I realized the last time I saw some of them was at the last reunion I went to . . . 20 years ago.

VioletBones

Registered
Reaction score
The day I realized that I was old.

I teach PreK and was singing 'Five little monkeys'. When Momma called the doctor, I made a fist with my pinky and thumb sticking out as my phone. My entire class used a flat palm as theirs.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I teach PreK and was singing 'Five little monkeys'. When Momma called the doctor, I made a fist with my pinky and thumb sticking out as my phone. My entire class used a flat palm as theirs.

Lol. That reminds me, when my granddaughter, who is now 14 . . .

You know, I could end the post right there.

Let's try that again. When my granddaughter, who is now 14 was about 6, she saw the desk phone in my office and asked about it. I told her what it was, and she asked "How can you see what they wrote?"

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
When your best friend who you have known for almost your entire life used to be slightly taller than you are but now is a bit shorter, even though at your last medical you were weighed and measured and have lost a few inches in height and are therefore contradicting what the scales have to say about it all.

When you consider formatting your book for a large print edition because you finally understand why normal sized print doesn’t work for some people and you actually feel compassion rather than impatience / condescension / disdain.

When “walking the dog” requires an actual dog instead of a yoyo.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Driving at night. Don't know how many of you have problems with it but I do. Didn't used to bother me. I'm been told by the eye dr that I have the beginnings of cataracts. Still, I can see okay at night, it's primarily when we take the 40 mile trip to the big city and come back late. Country road, no lights, have to watch for deer and oncoming headlights (especially the jerks that don't dim their brights). It's a very tense experience, and I find myself gripping the steering wheel so hard it hurts my arthritis. Big semi's use the road as a short cut, cops rarely seen on it. It's like driving through a long tunnel. So I avoid it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

:ROFL:

That's hilarious.

:welcome:

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Driving at night. Don't know how many of you have problems with it but I do. Didn't used to bother me. I'm been told by the eye dr that I have the beginnings of cataracts. Still, I can see okay at night, it's primarily when we take the 40 mile trip to the big city and come back late. Country road, no lights, have to watch for deer and oncoming headlights (especially the jerks that don't dim their brights). It's a very tense experience, and I find myself gripping the steering wheel so hard it hurts my arthritis. Big semi's use the road as a short cut, cops rarely seen on it. It's like driving through a long tunnel. So I avoid it.
I'm turning into my grandfather (he's no longer alive) and find myself slowing down to read street signs so much people honk at me.

I can't read street signs at night. But I have those yellow-lens glare-glasses and it really does help at night when headlights are coming at you.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
I can't read street signs at night. But I have those yellow-lens glare-glasses and it really does help at night when headlights are coming at you.

I have those attached to my sun visor, plus another one for daytime. It's very handy to lose your pride, which young people will never understand.