How to Know You're Old

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Gasoline at 44 cents? That WAS highway robbery. I was paying .29 cents a gallon in Ohio.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vinyl is back in vogue. Friend of mime makes a good living peddling it, well a living anyway.
My first album was Yellow Brick Road in 1973. Played it for so long it was nearly scraped away to nothing. Finally sold it at a car boot sale in a pub car park with the rest of my vinyl in 2003. We were moving on to a narrowboat and hadn't got the space.
All part of life's rich Tapestry (as Carol King would say)

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yeah, well, I can remember when no one, but no one called records "vinyl." :)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Dr Mindermast

Registered
Reaction score
When most of the bands that you like are in the "Classics" section. :p

Or that just means you have good taste in music :)

My first "I feel old" moment was when I realized that a kid I was working with, who was in 6th or 7th grade at the time, was younger than most of my CDs. Not the albums, but my actual physical copies.

Of course, I once related that anecdote to someone else who replied "and I still have t-shirts in my closet that are older than you."

Now I have the problem that I want to make Simpsons or Monty Python references during therapy sessions, but the kids have no idea what I'm talking about. The parents too, sometimes.

I'm in that weird age range where I'm old enough to remember taping things on tv so I wouldn't miss them when I was out of the house, but young enough that it was no problem for me to figure out how to program the VCR. Apparently this was difficult for the elders?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jay Leno used to have a nice comedic bit about giving his parents a VCR and every time he visited, its clock was flashing 12:00. His parents were saving money by unplugging it except when it was in use, so the time was never set right for recording anything.

I figure I'm probably doing the equivalent of that now, only I'm the clueless older person and my kids have been to polite to tell me.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
This sort of thing has probably been mentioned here, but not being computer savvy. Even though I had work experience with computers back in the 80's, none of it helped me get used to this brave new world of the internet. I can always write, but is like having trouble with cut-and-paste. A lot of the new nomenclature I still don't know, and have trouble trying to learn from computer books. Anybody else find themselves wanting to blow the damn thing away with a .45?

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When a typewriter just makes a lot of sense.

Also, when you post the topic, "How to Know You're Old."

:greenie

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn bats her eyelashes in utter innocence.

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
When AW email you on your birthday and you can't remember the last time you posted.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Something else that makes me feel old - all the books I like to read and write (hardboiled detectives, spies) all the poetry I like to read and write (narrative, rhymed) seem to be passe' nowadays; yet I keep writing them, knowing they probably won't get published. Maybe I'm beating my head against a brick wall, but haven't given up. Old writers never die, they just seize the day.:Headbang:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've designated who inherits all my writing, and that offspring will also have the right to my pen name. If she wants to try to make a buck off it, she can.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
You know you’re old when your belt serves as a function, not a fashion statement

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when McDonalds introduced chicken mcnuggets and Happy Meals.

I now suffer the affliction of the pain of unknown origins.

One thing kids, teens and young adults will probably never know the joy of, the juvenile satisfaction of slamming the phone down on someone when you're pissed at them.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing kids, teens and young adults will probably never know the joy of, the juvenile satisfaction of slamming the phone down on someone when you're pissed at them.

Ahahahah, I remember doing that. It always had interesting consequences. :p

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember obscene phone calls, before caller ID. Slamming the phone down was fun enough, but a coach-type whistle...

It's been years since I've heard mention of an obscene caller. I guess we're all too traceable now. Or there's plenty of internet to keep such callers occupied.

Maryn, gettin' up there in years

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I remember back in Jr High (1958 or so) got a call - all I heard was giggling in the background, then a "Hi there" before they hung up - some of the local girls teasing me; having fun at my expense. Nowadays that sort of innocent praddle seems to make a kid grab a AR-15 and blow up the school. (sigh)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have another one.

When the places you played as a child have changed.

There was a forest a part of me grew up in. I always went there as a child-- it was right near my house. When I moved away and then came back later, just to see how it was doing, I found that it had been changed into a retirement home.

:cry:

Strange how some things change, but others remain the same...

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
My high school hangout for after school hookups (a Dairy Queen) last time I was by there it was torn down to build a Sushi Bar (yuk).

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The acre of woods--which is small enough that lots of the neighborhood kids played there without our parents worrying--is a parking lot extension for a nearby church. Sigh...

Maryn, whose kids had woods to play in, too, only smaller

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid I would ride my bike all over town in the summer, visiting friends, crawling through culverts, exploring old houses full of asbestos and broken glass, playing baseball, walking barefoot in muddy creek bottoms. Well, it was a small town and I think our mothers had some kind of network going don't remember any problems. Early 1950's of course.

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'll play. I never used to have sound effects while I got out of bed.
This one hit me hard: I am a great goer-to of yard sales and the like. I recently went to a estate sale of a fellow who died suddenly. He wore my size clothes, shared really similar interests, was in the service at the same time I was, and worked in a field related to mine. It was eerily like going to my own estate sale. Shook me up a bit, to be honest. I've since started taking better care of myself, just because.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're glad you're taking good care of yourself. We're only just getting acquainted, after all!

I've always glanced through the obits, often harvesting interesting names for fiction. But recently I'm seeking people my age or younger. There's lots! In the last few years, many people are adding a thumbnail photo to the obits, and I'm slightly relieved when it's someone my age who clearly has a health issue not addressed, like a woman with a cigarette dangling from her lip in the photo. Even if it had nothing to do with her death, at least I'm not doing that.

Maryn, taking any comfort she can