How to Know You're Old

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, with hopes for improvement once the ordeal is complete

Take heart, Maryn. Better times await at the end of the "move" tunnel.

Our move to Knox Butte was only a couple of miles, and our unhoarding was only ten years :)yesway: ASL for 10) of saved junk, but we're now freer and happier old folks. :greenie

Last edited:

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Last time I took my car into the dealership for service, their diagnostics said I might be losing oil by little bits. Young woman at the service counter said they could sell me a quart to carry around in case the dashboard signaled low. I said I would have to be sure a service station had the punch-and-funnel thing if the signal came on. She looked puzzled. I slapped my forehead and said "duh, now I remember, motor oil comes in plastic containers tapered at the end so you can pour it direct into the right place." I added that I was probably dating myself, thinking of days when you had to open a quart of oil with a thing like a church key.
"What's a church key?" she asked, looking just as puzzled.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My hair looks blonde in the mirror and gray in pictures. I swear.

On my sister-in-law's FaceBook page: "My ability to remember song lyrics from the sixties far exceeds my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen."

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Church key

"What's a church key?" she asked, looking just as puzzled.

We recently acquired a couple bottles of Boylan diet cane soda (didn't even know they grew diet sugar cane), which has crimped caps.

boylan.jpg

Only one of many ways to open these is a church key (while in the Army, I saw a locked open 1911A1 .45 pistol used in the same way to pry off a Coca-Cola bottle cap--both gun and product date me as too damned old).

I asked Kay if a church key survived our recent move. It did and looks like this:

church-key.jpg

It's now on a chain around the neck of one Boylan bottle to open in case of emergency. Let the great-grandkids figure out how. :roll:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I asked Kay if a church key survived our recent move. It did and looks like this:

church-key.jpg

:roll:
Ok, we used those when I was a kid too, but we just called them Bottle or Can Openers - Never heard them called "Church Keys" :Shrug:

Flamingflowerz

Registered
Reaction score
I pointed my vehicle fob at the door to my house... I was even puzzled for a few seconds when the door didn't unlock as a result.

Does that count?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that my car has spoiled me with keyless locking and starting, I expect the technology of everything that locks to do the same. So far, no luck.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, we used those when I was a kid too, but we just called them Bottle or Can Openers - Never heard them called "Church Keys" :Shrug:
I've heard them called both. Usually it was more 'traditional' guys who called them 'church keys'. I've always had one or two kicking around in the 'seldom-used utensil' drawer forever, but I remember when they were everywhere - you could get wall-mounted ones for people who either had lots of bottles to open or didn't want to lose their one-and-only.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
you know you are old when you are shopping with your teenaged g-daughter, see something you cannot live without (for example a pair of garden boots printed with big chickens or a snazzy shawl collar cardigan) and realize that beloved g-daughter is snapchatting your fashion purchases with her teenaged cousin, also your beloved grand daughter.

now Magnolia and Bella have been doing this to me for years but this weekend their 40 year old aunt caught them snapchatting her latest fashion purchase. it was quite a blow. she had always considered herself the cool aunt. --s6

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm old enough not to know what "snapchatting" is. :)

I remember "church keys" as bottle openers. I still use one to help me break the seal of the lids of applesauce jars so I can open them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, lots of beers still require a bottle opener and do not have a twist off cap.

Maryn, whose husband is the beer drinker here

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Now wait a minute, young-uns! Most craft beers today have caps that aren't twist-off and must be pried off with a bottle opener.
A church key (thank you, Chase, for the picture) is a sharpened triangular punch that opens a canned beverage for the purpose of sipping the contents. Beer, mainly. When the breweries canned beer with a solid top, a can opener to remove the whole top had obvious drawbacks. A demure triangle about half an inch at the rim was perfect. Even if the beer wasn't.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're old when you need to use the church key anyway even with the twist off caps.

QFT.

Also, I'd been thinking I must be the only beer drinker in the room.

Is there a newer, fancier tool for opening beer bottles?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're old when you see a FaceBook pic of a kid you grew up across the street from, but hadn't seen since, and I can't for the life of me see the face of that neighbor kid in his older face.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
For the beer drinker(s), no you’re not alone. We’re out drinking craft beers :)

Seriously check out the iPhone/Android app called Untappd- find beers/breweries/local pubs. It’s awesome. You can also connect with others, read up on the flavors being brewed, get discounts for Oktoberfest and all kinds of stuff. It’s like Facebook for beer!

Now back to your regular old fogie rants...

When you reference your “mad money” in the glove box at the drive thru and they look at you like YOU are the one who’s crazy...is that even ok to say anymore?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm... I suppose it could be seen as sexist to think women needed "mad money" so they could get home if they got mad at their dates. Now, women should carry money, period.

I keep cash stashed in the car, although I don't call it that. Mr. Maryn is surprised over and over when I access it. The concept is that alien--but guess who's got six quarters for parking in Skaneateles?

Maryn, uber-competent in some ways

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm... I suppose it could be seen as sexist to think women needed "mad money" so they could get home if they got mad at their dates. Now, women should carry money, period.

I keep cash stashed in the car, although I don't call it that. Mr. Maryn is surprised over and over when I access it. The concept is that alien--but guess who's got six quarters for parking in Skaneateles?

Mmmm...Skaneateles fish fry...mmmm.....

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score

I didn't even go to the gender reference...I was thinking more as to whether the term "mad" or "crazy" is even acceptable in the overly PC society we live in. Interesting...

Back on topic, someone today said I reminded them of their grandfather, only funnier, so:

You know you're old when you remind someone of their grandparent!

:granny: