How to Know You're Old

FlameMaster5

Registered
Reaction score
Sitting around in your chair in a fuzzy white robe and sucking on butterscotch all day.
Oh wait, I'm 28yrs...

Maybe I'm just old in my soul. :D

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Up again tonight. I thought sure I would sleep all night. Not to be. Not even after the day I have had.

My sister had her child late in life and now, at an age when sensible people have teenaged grandkids, she has a two year old and an 8 month old. Both sturdily built.

Yesterday my sister and I took the kids to a kid zoo in Hutchinson, about an hour away. They have a zoo train there and we'd promised Aidan a ride. It was a hot day. The zoo train is operated by retired people. The engineer, a man my age, had the sense to call it a day and go home. So no train.

We assembled their wagon and loaded them up for our own zoo trip. Despite sunscreen and hats the kids turned an alarming beet red. It was a hot day. People stopped us to tell us that.

A pelican snapped at Aidan, blocked his way on the sidewalk. I tried to shoo the pelican away. It snapped at me. Scared the pee wadding out of me. He cried. I tried not to. We went to a water park to cool off. My sister forgot the swimsuits so they just wore their Little Swimmers. All the other kids had suits. Aidan took off running and took up most of our attention. Then Elmo's three teeth began chattering. She went from sunstroke to chilblains in one afternoon.

It was a hot, clear day but 30 minutes into the swim a huge thunderstorm blew into town. I had to chase Aidan who could not see why we had to leave--water is water, right? We were changing diapers in a storm of biblical proportions. We stopped at a restaurant because my sister could not remember feeding the kids after breakfast. The host took one look at us and seated us in an empty part of the café. This was unfortunate because Aidan likes to stand and greet people when they enter places and stand and shout goodbye when they leave. So he had to yell across the restaurant. (My sister says this is why he doesn't go to church anymore.) Baby Elmo managed to bury her face in her applesauce. That was my fault. I took my eyes off her to take a bite of my own food. (My sister says this is why she takes her food in a to go box and eats it after they are in bed.)

All in all it was a memorable day and it certainly made me appreciate young parents and grandparents. Sure thought I'd sleep all night though--s6

Last edited:

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Memories of having kids - my son seemed to have trouble as his middle name. Plastering an outhouse with mud, building a fire in a hubcap in his room, playing soccer in the street (truck ran over his foot), and so forth. How he managed to make it to adulthood I'm not sure. He and his wife don't want kids, maybe it's the memories of his own wild childhood.

Speaking of sunburn, we took a vacation to the coast (early '80's), my wife and son played in the hotel pool while I played golf. When I got back they were beet red. We went home after that.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recently I threw a giant grad party for my daughter(she graduated university with her Bachelors of Science in Nursing degree)anyways we always buy beer in cans but I bought a case of bottled beer which my mother in law threw in a cooler and at the end of the party when I was cleaning up putting the empties away back in the case I asked her what happened to the cardboard bottle divider that should be in the case....she had a good laugh and said my age was showing....it's been YEARS she said since the cases came with cardboard bottle dividers. So that made me feel old.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... Aidan likes to stand and greet people when they enter places and stand and shout goodbye when they leave. (My sister says this is why he doesn't go to church anymore.)

Baby Elmo managed to bury her face in her applesauce. That was my fault. I took my eyes off her to take a bite of my own food. (My sister says this is why she takes her food in a to go box and eats it after they are in bed.)
ROFLMBO - :roll:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Wegmans Shoppers Club card was issued before my cashier's parents ever met.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Knees.

Oh my god knees.

Mine have been giving me fits since last year (stomping through midtown Manhattan in a state of pedestrian rage at the damn tourists and people on their cellphones who will not GET OUT OF THE WAY). Finally saw an orthopedist last week, who told me there's nothing wrong with my knees beyond "a bit of arthritis normal for someone your age."

But still.

Knees.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When your birthday cards read:

I picked up this card for you because God knows you're too old to pick it up yourself.

Seventy-seven? Really? I think dirt is only 72 or 73.

I'm embarrassed when people know I know someone so old.

You were born in 1941? Is that why WWII started?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you on both the knees and years front. It doesn't seem like that long ago when any inability to do something physical was a matter of either my fitness level or my laziness. Now there's this growing list of things I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it my life literally depended on it, starting with running as fast as possible. I give me eight steps, maybe ten, before that left knee just buckles and refuses to support me. So nobody chase me, okay? (Or at least not with a knife.)

Years is weird. I've always been okay turning whatever age I turned at each birthday, but last year and the year before, I struggled. How could I possibly be so old and have accomplished so little? Yeah, productive thoughts like that.

Maryn, soon to have a birthday

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

So . . . rabbits feet are lucky but rabbit knees aren't?

I've got a newly remodeled hip, but I wear this every day to hobble around while waiting for a new knee:

Townsend_knee_brace.jpg

I may get some relief soon with the injection of rooster combs.

https://www.tsaog.com/connect-learn.../dr-ronald-connor-on-rooster-comb-injections/

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
When you were 77, it was a very good year...(Happy Birthday), and you think of your life as vintage whine from broken old legs...:D

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the doctor doesn't have your knees, does he?:D

He has knee issues of his own dating from childhood - which may be why he's in the business he's in.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of things make me feel old, like prices for things - especially housing, which in some places is basically insane. A median-priced car now costs more than my first house. Geez.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True! My late brother's house and my house are the moral equivalent of one another, built around the same time, about the same size and niceness of finishes, updates of the same sort of quality. Mine, in a suburb of a city of a million, has approximately doubled in value in the twenty years we've been here. His, in San Jose, has sextupled or maybe septupled, currently worth about $1.2 million. Since their daughter doesn't need the money or a place to live, she's holding onto it, and the value continues to climb.

Kwitshadie

Registered
Reaction score
You know you are old when your co-workers were born the same year you graduated from highschool.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
About 30 years ago when my mother told me she was going to her 50th 8th grade reunion, I could hardly believe she'd actually admit that she was that old! However, I went to my 50th high school last month and couldn't believe how young we all still are....

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're old when a teenager posts about how they're quitting writing because after a year of trying they're still no good and you just want to laugh and laugh and laugh...

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
When the car repair shop says of a car you are trying to restore from the year you were born:

"You need to either go to a salvage yard, a specialty store or an antique store to get that part - it's just not made anymore"...

Bite me