Spooky excerpts that brought a smile to your face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested to know what some members favourite short passages are from horror books - more so those evil suggestions than blatant danger.

I realize this may involve reaching for a book but I'll appreciate it!

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
Short passages? Not sure what you mean here.

Plenty of tiny sequences in Poe, inspire delight: the pendulum swinging lower and lower over the bound prisoner...the walling-up of drunken Fortunato..the tall masked figure roaming the halls of Count Prospero's castle...

Clive Barker's "Books of Blood 1-3" are a modern fave
he's deft at the short story; I'm not a fan of his novels

Chris Kelly, the doll who ate his mother..(Ramsay Campbell)

Shirley Jackson, everything...

John Farris' exquisitely written southern gothic horror...'All Heads Turn as the Hunt Goes By'. Literally had my fingers trembling; had to get up from my chair to calm my breathing.

Sexuality combined with horror:
Rachel Ingalls, a relatively unknown contemp suspense author..I like how raw she gets..unafraid to get nasty and graphic. Check her out in 'The Pearlkillers' and 'I See a Long Journey' (novellas)

Graham Masterston, 'Death Trance'. Woah. Grisly.

William Goldman, ostensibly a thriller author, comes up with something so crazy in 'Control' that I actually leaped out of my
seat.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Registered
Reaction score
I thought passages sounded a bit vague. I meant more so small paragraphs or a few sentences. That Poe one is pretty cool. Interesting comment about Barker. I have yet to read his stuff.

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah I see now. "Memorable paragraphs", as it were? If so, then I believe the only specific lines I can recall from any horror novel I've ever read, would be the opening lines to Shirley Jackson's "Haunting of Hill House". It's so poetic an epigram that it sticks in my recollection; whereas out of all the Stephen King I've read I doubt I would ever be able to quote anything correctly verbatim.

Anyway, the Jackson quote is this:

“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.”

Jimmy

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good one.

It may be cliche for the subject but I do believe the opening line to Cthulhu really sums up Lovecraft's talent. It's also relates to your one.

"The most merciful thing in the world is, I think, the inability of the mind to correlate all its contents."

deafblindmute

Registered
Reaction score
The last man on earth sits alone in a room. There's a knock at the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.