• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Backstory being taught

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
That's one of the difficult parts about being a writer - you know all these amazing and cool things that went into turning your setting into the world it is in the story, and you want to share it all!

But while all that stuff is amazing, cool, and fascinating, that doesn't mean it fits into the story then and there. Or that it even has a place in the story at all, no matter how cool or dramatic it was. It's one of the agonizing things about writing, that there might be awesome stuff in your head that you don't have an appropriate venue to share with the readers.

At least until you're super famous and can publish, 'Atlas & History of My Setting.';)

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
And of course, SYW here is fantastic. You have over 50 posts so you can throw something up there and get feedback about what does and doesn't work. It's extremely helpful as people there will definitely share their reactions!

Seconding the idea of using this to create conflict--person who doesn't want to reveal history (will they or won't they?), history is wildly different from what MC already knew (will she believe it or not?), history reveals something unsavory about someone else (what will MC do with that information?)

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
My mc is being taught about how her people were forced into hiding. How I envision it happening is she is actually visually able to see the history. It is being narrated and being played out in front of her. So my question is do I keep the action going or do I have to break it up reminding the reader that the mc is watching. With adding stuff like Liz shifted in her seat and continued watching.

During the quest she'll be comparing what she was taught/overheard with what she is experiencing. Does this movie agree with bits and pieces she has overheard and figured out on her own? If not, who was lying?

How does she react.