Working Out Conversion Issues with Script

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I get more work done if I use a manual typewriter, but after scanning and converting it to a Word file (which I then import to Pages, that doesn't have a script template), I realized I needed something that might do a better job keeping the formatting intact. What computer programs do you all use for stage scripts? Any suggestions besides just retyping the whole thing from scratch on my computer?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Final Draft I'd think would work for stage.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand virtually every screenwriting program can be used for stage plays. Their format is far more flexible so you can even use them as they stand for screenwriting unless you're writing for a particular entity or person who has different preferences.

In your shoes, I'd wear thick socks I'd try to figure out why I'm more productive with a typewriter and see if I can't emulate those conditions in word processing.

I've only written two plays, but I didn't even use formatting software. It's not that hard to do with just tabs and such.

Now, selling those plays, that's harder...

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I understand virtually every screenwriting program can be used for stage plays. Their format is far more flexible so you can even use them as they stand for screenwriting unless you're writing for a particular entity or person who has different preferences.

In your shoes, I'd wear thick socks I'd try to figure out why I'm more productive with a typewriter and see if I can't emulate those conditions in word processing.

I've only written two plays, but I didn't even use formatting software. It's not that hard to do with just tabs and such.

Now, selling those plays, that's harder...

Well, it's a combination of things. It feels better on my hands. I can work longer if I'm looking at a real piece of paper than a back-lit screen. This may sound strange or hipster-ish, but I used to do everything on a computer until it got to where I wasn't finishing anything I set out to do. Another reason is that it keeps me from editing everything before a draft is finished. Might be wishful thinking on my part...

As to sock of choice...I prefer Therlos. :tongue

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
Celtx has a good stageplay format.

By choosing the Typeset tab and then clicking Format Options, you can choose to display and print your script in American stageplay format or International stageplay format. American stageplay format is basically the same as Samuel French format, and is good for most submissions in the US market. To use the Typeset function, your computer must be connected to the web.

The celtx developers have stopped updating their freeware, so they warn of increasing compatibility issues with newer operating systems. Celtx still works fine on my Windows Vista machine, but I don't know how it works with Windows 8 or 10.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9gp7u_celtx-tutorial-for-playwrights-part_school

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If your original typewritten draft is formatted the way you like it, but you lose that formatting once it's scanned in and passed through OCR, the issue isn't necessarily in the software you're then using on your computer: it could like with the OCR software you're using. Some packages just recognise the words you put through it while others will preserve all formatting. It might be worth looking into that.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I have used Celtx for scripts and found it very easy to work with

The ".celtx" files that it creates are actually just HTML so if you are a bit geeky (or know someone who is) you should be able to tweak the classes to suit your own requirements.

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be so late responding but I'm in the middle of directing Monty Python's Spamalot. One of the sticky threads here used to have a series of links to script writing software. I haven't looked in a while but the BBC used to have a series of macro's for Microsoft Word that allow you to write scripts in their format. There is also a program called Page2Stage that is free. It is available but the company that wrote it no longer supports it. It has a pretty steep learning curve but is very fast once you get it down.

I do 99% of my play writing and re-writing in a black college lined composition book with good old pen and ink. I usually type it into WordPerfect but sometimes I dictate it with Nuance Dragon naturally speaking. I find that I spend too much time looking at what I have written, editing and tweaking format when I try to type as I write.

I don't worry about putting the play into standard play format until the play is close to production. If anything, my plays look like the Acting Editions available from French, Dramatists and others where the goal is most dialog in fewest pages. I do all of my editing and re-writing on printed pages with my pen and ink so paper use is important. I get about a minute and a half per page with the Acting Edition format. When I have a reading of my play, the actors are very familiar with the Acting Edition format.

Just my thoughts.

Doug B