excuse my ramblings

jliz0808

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been thinking lately about my writing journey. I was very active 4 years ago. I had a completed ms that was ready to be queried. I had gone to the writers digest convention in NYC and met with agents and learned a ton. I started a blog and tweeted my ass off.

Then I stopped.

My husband, friends, and family all supported me in my writing. But then I felt like everyone had this timeline for me and since (even though I came close once) wasn't picked up by a publisher or agent that it was time to put this little dream behind me.

I got pregnant (my husband and I already had two daughters), and I put all my notes, stories, everything away.

Why?

Why did I feel that I had to choose one over the other? For four years I kept not only my completed ms but the stories in my head suppressed.

Thankfully I have realized that I can be both a mom and a writer, even a non-published writer.

I never told myself I wasn't going to write I just didn't do it anymore. Can anyone relate to this?

Anyway, I am back, and that is all that matters! :)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Yep, you're nowhere near alone. Sometimes we just believe we have to move on, or we have to make a choice, or we fall out of the habit, or we get beaten down by rejections or writer's block. Whatever the reason, it happens all the time to a wide variety of people.

When I went to college, I thought I'd write like I had in high school: during class, after my work was done. Ppbbbbbt. So I went to school and didn't have time to get distracted during class. After class, I wanted to spend time with my friends, or with my boyfriend (now Mr.). So I didn't write. And when I graduated college and got a job, I kept not writing. If I hadn't been utterly miserable in that job, I might not have decided to try writing again. But that was six years after the last time I had written. It took a while to get the motor running again, so to speak, but it felt damn good to be back.

Be proud of yourself for finally diving back in and realizing there's nothing forcing you to be one thing or the other. :) Welcome back.

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
You are definitely not alone. I remember leaving my poetry behind for more than a decade. LOL! They just remained locked up in a book inside my drawer. It has taken me so many many years to get back into the groove. :)