• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Outlining frustrates me

Status
Not open for further replies.

spork

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is different and all writers will inevitably have their own writing process. I personally hate outlines. I suck at them and they make my hair want to fall out. Instead, I write in piecemeal.

I type out my chapter headings (Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.) and start adding in small notes where I think the major events will occur. This can be something as simple as "talk to Character B." As I get a better mental picture of the story, I'll start to flesh out those notes by writing short segments of the novel. At one point, I was simultaneously writing eleven chapters. This works for me.

Find out what works for you. A lot of it is trial and error and discovering the most efficient way for you to put words on paper. Don't get too bogged down thinking about what everyone else does. There's no right answer here. It's just a matter of personal preference.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes people take "outline" awfully literally; it might be a series of lists, or maybe a couple of plot points you want to make sure you include.

I think that's a good point. There's not just one way of planning/outlining. I resisted calling myself a planner for a long time because I hate creating lists and bullet points--which is what I think of when I think of the word "outline". Over time, I realized that I actually do a lot of planning--but for me, planning means brainstorming a lot and imagining scenes while I'm on the bus, or writing scenes with my characters to get into their voices.

There are a ton of different methods.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The key is to give yourself flexibility in your writing process, especially while you're still learning the ropes. I've written quite a few novels now, and my process is still different from book to book. Some books have had quite detailed lines. Others I've written by the seat of my pants. Then there are those that I've used a hybrid method, usually involving a vague mental outline (highlighting key scenes I want to happen). From there, I'll sometimes plan out the current day's writing. Sometimes I'll just sit down and write and see what happens.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Do whatever works for you. If it's preventing you from writing, it defeats its purpose.

I personally don't outline. In fact, I also write out of order. I could certainly do it with an outline first, or chronologically, but it would just slow me down. And pantsing doesn't always end up with a mess, or stories where you don't know where you're going. The key is to have goals in mind (of the story/character arcs, not your goals as a writer). Work toward those goals and you won't have a mess on your hands.

writeonleanne

señora vaca
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a pantser, until I realized I never finished anything because everything always ended up so scattered and confused, and my plots ended up meandering and boring. I've found that having a high level outline at least helps me keep organized, and a detailed outline for each chapter helps me keep motivated. My "outlines" are basically just skeletons of what each chapter is though--not always a bulleted list, but sometimes a word vomit to sketch out each chapter or a sentence about what's going to happen in a chapter. Then, when I go back to work on next drafts, I can add notes about what I need to address in each chapter.

That's what works for me. As what other people have said, you gotta do what makes the most sense for you.

romance2die4

Registered
Reaction score
At one point, I was simultaneously writing eleven chapters. This works for me.

Wow, that makes my head spin just thinking about it. How do you keep everything straight?

I am starting a new project which is going to have a much more complicated plot, and I am trying an outline for the first time. It is taking me a long time and includes a lot of procrastinating. I am hoping that once I have it finished the writing will go more quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.