• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

FAQ: Using Microsoft's OneNote for Outlining and Note Taking

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Similar to the files in the above post, I use OneNotes which can be found in the Office 2007 package.
It's just like having a notebook full of papers and oodles of tabs. For me, this is perfect, since I move from country to country & really don't have a sense of humor when it comes to lugging all my notebooks (I won't allow them to be packed/shipped only to be lost) instead of a change of clothes.
AND it's simple-stupid...which...since I'm blonde...need I really say more?

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Microsoft 2007 OneNote.
Notebook style.
You add as many tabs as you want. Name the tabs. Add pages needed behind each tab. Does the same EXACT thing as a paper notebook w/o having to lug around every notebook when you want to work somewhere other than your office/desk.
I'm just sorry I didn't realize this was loaded into my laptop until about 2 weeks ago!
Excel remindes me too much of my accounting days.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention:
In OneNote, if you go into Format, you can change the big white page to look like ruled paper (college, wide, extra wide, or extra thin), and/or to resemble graph paper.

Your notes/writing can even be moved around the page in the exact same way that is done in desktop publishing. This is ESPECIALLY handy when wanting to MAP your ideas, outlines, essays....

I've found this program to be most useful in keeping all of my characters profiles organized (I write epic, so there are quite a few), and it's right at my fingertips when I need to check a character habit/fact...or add a quick something, or new character. I've broken it down into Main Characters and Minor Characters, each having their own 'section'.

If you're like me, and have a couple of books going at the same time, or even an idea for another book while working on present WIP, it's great to start a new notebook for 'Ideas' and jot down those 'scenes' that come to mind, so you don't lose the 'great idea' while finishing present works.

Hope all this helps. I've found it to be awesome. I know Excel rocks, but for me, all those columns...bleh...I've never been a wiz at that kind of stuff. I need good old fashioned paper and pen; however, because I move all over the world, I can't afford to lug allllllllll my notes all over the bloody place, so this OneNote thing has been a prize!

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I second the kudos for One Note. I use it for writing outlines for scenes, character bios, timelines, keeping track of backstory and anything else that doesn't go into the actual document.

I have other WIPs on the backburner and whenever I think of something appropriate for one of those, I can quickly go to that notebook and add it.

thoroughgreg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gregoryrbailey.com
Hey all - Check out Evernote too, you can create as many notebooks as you want with any number of notes per notebook. You can also record ideas via webcam/audio, clip files, important pictures, etc...I use it for organizing outlines, fleshing out characters, etc.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
i used MS Word for the outline and OneNote for my notebook to keep all my odd thoughts in.
OneNote became part of MS Office in the 2010 edition prior to that it was a add on you had to pay a mint for.

this is the link to the MS site for the product
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/
i started using this for work and it took me about 3 weeks to see how it could help with my book project.
now its not for everyone and i don't make a dime for telling you about it. but it is a good tool for you to know about.

KyleDuncan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kyledduncan.blogspot.com
I've heard of OneNote, but never figured out a system to organize everything on there! Using it to organize ended up driving me batty. Do users of OneNote have a particular manner they set up the OneNote notebooks so as to be more user friendly? Sorry if I missed a previous posting about this. Just curious how you set yours up.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm an Evernote regular, the interface is more my cuppa tea than Onenote. Can't say I've ever cracked using it for organised writing, though -- I have a notebook for jotted down scenes, but nothing like the sort of organisation I would do in Scrivener.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Onenote, use it for everything from story ideas, character lists, research etc to storing writing advice, cover note/bio/synopses, lists of publishers/agents, subs sent...

I love that I can work on it on my laptop, phone and online if I'm away from my computer. The layout suits me. I find it easy to work in, much better than Evernote, which had too many bells and whistles for me.

Chuckster

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using notepad for the same thing. I'm glad I found out about this. I'm learning so much from being on here.

Reactions: LucindaLynx