Editing my memoir

Shuppy

Registered
Reaction score
I've just completed my manuscript. Can anyone suggest a relatively inexpensive editor (I'm living on disability support) or an agent so I don't have to self-publish? Thanks.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Welcome to AW :hi:

Your best bet is to read through the threads here on AW on writing queries (which is what reputable agents look at first), and especially refer to the Bewares and Background board.

And when you reach 50 posts, you can post a portion of your memoir on the Share Your Work boards for help on polishing your writing.

It's a lot of reading, but well worth your time.

Last edited:

Mrs-Q

Registered
Reaction score
An inexpensive editor is usually not worth the money. And I don't know if you mean developmental editor or editor you want to submit to at a publisher. You should know large publishers only take submissions from agents.

This is the sort of research you have to do. How you go about getting a manuscript traditionally published depends heavily on your genre. There are dozens of agents for most genres. Each has very specific preferences. It took me 2 or 3 months to build a list of 50 agents to query (based on what they want and if they're reputable and currently selling anything). Personalizing for each agent's submission requirements and preferences takes about an hour per request. That's research only you can do. Only you know your book.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Depends what type of publisher you're looking for. I have two books that were published by academic presses and I didn't hire any editors before submitting it. Although, I did have a few experts read the manuscript early on.

Each publisher's editor did a great job for me.