Any recommendations for a good image compressor?

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been a busy bee redesigning my site to go with my new theme. The problem is my new header is huge (in bytes). I've been trying to crunch it, but was curious if anyone know of a good one online.

What do you think is the max. it should be? At one time I knew this, but my little grey cells are suffering from allergies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been a busy bee redesigning my site to go with my new theme. The problem is my new header is huge (in bytes). I've been trying to crunch it, but was curious if anyone know of a good one online.

What do you think is the max. it should be? At one time I knew this, but my little grey cells are suffering from allergies.

Are you using hand-coded HTML?

I'd use .jpg for the image header.
Make sure that it's only 72dpi; anything else is wasted and will slow things down, and completely screw over people on smart phones.

ETA: I see you're using WordPress; whatever theme you're using probably has specs for the header.

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The width and height are specified, I was worried about the bytes for loading. I did go .jpg and I'll make sure it's 72 -- I forgot about that. My new header is way more complex than the one I'm using now.

BUT I just realize (now that the sudaphed has kick in) that the optimizer I found (http://optimizilla.com/) was compressing pretty well. Also, someone just sent me an email on how to check loading times for people using a DSL line.

I did find this site: http://quirktools.com/screenfly/ and have been testing how it looks on the different sizes and have already have some adjustments.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Use Google's Webmaster tools to check loading time etc. too.

Check the site on a smart phone and as many tablets as you can (Create a thread in Blogging with a ink and ask folks to check with different browsers/devices)