Quick question about my blog :)

rodge_87

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)

I just have a wee question and I hope it's okay posting here!

I am new to blogging and have started a blog on cooking/baking...What I was wondering was if I see a recipe online or in a book/magazine and make it but change it a bit by leaving out something or putting in something extra how to I give credit to the person who had the recipe originally so I am don't have any copyright issues!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Hi rodge_87 -

Welcome to AW!

I've moved this over to the Blogging area. You should get a more targeted response that way.

Your question might actually lead to another question or two.
Forex-
"How do I give credit to the recipe source of a recipe that I found in a book or on the web, that I've changed."

Might also lead to:

"How do I determine if I have the rights to post a recipe that I've made changes to?"

and

"How much do a recipe that I found in a book or on the web need to change before I can post it without it being a copy?"

Recipes are an interesting subject in this light. Good luck!

rodge_87

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Williebee

Thanks for putting my post in the right section :)

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most cooking sites I see site the original source. I've also seen a lot of modified or adpated from XXX. If it's online, they include a hyperlink. If it's a cookbook, sometimes they link to it on amazon. If you are changing the recipe, you should be able to post you're version. I don't know the percentage of the recipe that needs to be changed though. There might be a guideline out there somewhere.

There are a lot of interesting articles about this. One I see a lot is that no one can own a recipe, but they can own the language of said recipe. So with that in mind, write up the directions in your style.

--Note this is all conjecture so take it as such. :tongue