Hello from Japan!

roseeddystone

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Japan! :hooray:

I am an American working abroad as an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in English.
I've been writing since I was 6 years old but only recently have started working on a serious-to-publish novel. :snoopy:

My main reason for joining this community is I am actually looking to change careers.
I've been volunteering as an editor and proofreader and would like to start freelancing.
I already do this unofficially (but don't charge).
For example, I recently helped a colleague with his upwards of 300 page manuscript, both via proofreading, substance/story/continuity editing and general critiquing.
He said I seriously would have made at least $2000 off of him if he'd known I'd be so thorough.

My problem is, well, not knowing the proper words for what I'm doing, as well as how to go about it professionally.
My current method is using MSWord Review or Google Docs as well as writing a critique.
I make a list of abbreviations for what I'm checking (PC for pacing, for example).

Still, if there's a "right" way to do this, I'd like to learn.

Since I live abroad I would be working mostly through the internet.

My main questions are:
What would I call myself?
What would I charge? What shouldn't I charge?
How would I charge it?
What shiny pieces of paper do I need, if any?
What can I do by skill alone?
What is the best, most affordable place to hone skills that need honing?
How would I pay taxes? (I assume I'll still be paying US taxes, or would they be Japanese taxes?)

I know some Japanese and also work with native Japanese teachers, correcting their English for lesson and exam materials, correspondence with sister schools and essays for school and seminars so I'd like to put myself out as a last-check editor for ESL writers as well.

This seems like such a great site. I honestly don't know where to start looking. I've come here a few times to read the forums but only now am joining as a member.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Rose! I don't know that answers to your questions, but I'm sure someone here does. Welcome to the forum.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rose,

I am going to move your post to the Bewares, Backgrounds and Reputations Forum.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
With all apologies, this looks to be a better fit for Networking. Be sure to also check out our Freelancing forum.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Japan! :hooray:

Hello from England!

I am an American working abroad as an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in English.
I've been writing since I was 6 years old but only recently have started working on a serious-to-publish novel. :snoopy:

My main reason for joining this community is I am actually looking to change careers.
I've been volunteering as an editor and proofreader and would like to start freelancing.
I already do this unofficially (but don't charge).
For example, I recently helped a colleague with his upwards of 300 page manuscript, both via proofreading, substance/story/continuity editing and general critiquing.
He said I seriously would have made at least $2000 off of him if he'd known I'd be so thorough.

I am sure you did a good job for your friend, but I would be cautious in basing a new career on his advice. People who have worked as editors for years, who have established track records and all sorts of contacts, often charge less than that for doing less work than you've listed there. However, I wonder if you understand what all those things are, as you can't do them all at once on the same ms.

My problem is, well, not knowing the proper words for what I'm doing, as well as how to go about it professionally.

There are several forms of editing.

Structural editing works on the big things: character development, plot, story, and so on. It also prunes out all the unnecessary floweriness many of us put in, and that sort of thing.

Copyediting deals with the smaller stuff: punctuation, grammar, fact-checking (a huge job on most books), consistency of style.

Proof reading is done after the proofs have been created--so, once a publisher is almost ready to publish the book and has the layout and design put together with the text. You really don't want to end up with too many changes at this stage.

Critiquing is not at all the same thing as editing a book. Editors are expected to suggest solutions to the problems they see; critique-givers don't necessarily, and although they'll often spot problems they won't necessarily get the solutions to those problems correct.

My current method is using MSWord Review or Google Docs as well as writing a critique.
I make a list of abbreviations for what I'm checking (PC for pacing, for example).

Still, if there's a "right" way to do this, I'd like to learn.

Since I live abroad I would be working mostly through the internet.

Most editors I know work mostly on computers, and use the internet a lot, so that's not a problem for you. However, I am concerned you're using "MSWord Review". By this, do you mean you're using Word's "track changes" feature? If so, that's not a problem; but if you're using Word's grammar and spell checkers to do any of your work for you, that is. Editors edit, they don't rely on software packages to do the work for them.

I wouldn't use abbreviations: say what you mean. It's easier in the long run.

My main questions are:
What would I call myself?
What would I charge? What shouldn't I charge?
How would I charge it?
What shiny pieces of paper do I need, if any?
What can I do by skill alone?
What is the best, most affordable place to hone skills that need honing?
How would I pay taxes? (I assume I'll still be paying US taxes, or would they be Japanese taxes?)

You could call yourself Bob if you like. What you can't reasonably call yourself is an editor.

Learning to be an editor takes time if you do it properly. The good ones work for a few years as an associate or assistant editor at a good trade publishing house, and are carefully guided through learning the work before being left to work unsupervised. There are courses you can take (such as those at the Society of Editors and Proofreaders) but they will only teach you the outlines of the work, and not the work itself.

As e-presses and self publishing have proliferated, more and more people without the required skills or experience have set up shop as editors and very few of them have done well at the job, or are good enough.

I am sorry to be so harsh: but I've seen how some of these "editors" work and it's awful. Seeing a writer who has paid for their services and in so doing, has seen their own book wrecked is horrible.

I'm not saying you're one of these bad editors: but if you want to be a really good one, put the time in. Get a job at a good publishing house, work your socks off, and in a few years time you'll have the skills you need.

No one here can give you tax advice: you'll need an accountant for that.

I know some Japanese and also work with native Japanese teachers, correcting their English for lesson and exam materials, correspondence with sister schools and essays for school and seminars so I'd like to put myself out as a last-check editor for ESL writers as well.

This seems like such a great site. I honestly don't know where to start looking. I've come here a few times to read the forums but only now am joining as a member.

Unless you have a really good understanding of grammar you're going to have to be very careful with this sort of work. You don't want to mislead your clients by introducing errors into the works.

I hope it all goes well for you, and you find the guidance you're looking for.