Sound off on your LGBTQIA pet peeves!

Monnrella

Toward empowering teen girls.
Registered
Reaction score
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
Hey AWers!

Hopefully that title isn't misleading or insulting -- because that's the last thing I want. Here's what I DO want:

Your opinions on LGBTQIA characters in YA. I read an an article in Writer's Digest about how LGBTQIA characters are vastly underrepresented in YA lit, and as an ally to the cause, I want to change that. I didn't force any sort of sexuality on my characters to make it work for my story; one of them just happened to come out to me, and it worked. It also happens that she's a very powerful and central character, which is great, because I've been pro-equality my entire life. However, I don't want to come off as a buffoon and insult the LGBTQIA community (I suppose I'm part of it if "A" stands for "ally"???). I want to respect the community and its struggles, and I want this character to be realistic. I've found that in almost all of the YA lit I've read, when a character pops up and says, "I'm gay!", it's overdone and feels cringey and forced. My novel is light fantasy, and this culture is 100% pro-equality and a place where sexuality just is and it's not thought of as "wrong" or "unusual" or anything like that. It just simply is what it is, as I personally believe it should be.

So, friends, can you help me figure out how NOT to do this? What drives you crazy about LGBTQIA characters? What feels forced? What do you really like to see? So far, the mention of this character's sexuality was very much in passing, and there's no "ZOMG SHE'S GAY?!?!?!?!" from the narrator. I am seeking to not draw attention to it, because her sexuality doesn't define her, as I don't feel it should define anyone. I want her to be a strong example for LGBTQIA teens and someone they can look up to and relate to. Part of me, though, is feeling this tug between her and a male character as well, so I'm wondering if she's actually bi rather than just lesbian. However, I'm afraid of that being an eye-roller and an insult if she's not just gay. If that makes sense...?

Apologies for any blunders here. I do have LGBTQIA friends, but I don't feel I know enough to not mess this up.

Thanks, everyone!
~Monnrella

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
The "A" is for asexual/aromantic. Just identifying as "an ally" makes things less confusing. :)

My personal pet peeve is this plotline: the teen grew up in a fundamentalist Christian family/area, comes out as gay and immediately either is rejected by their family and church or cuts off all ties themselves. It's not really a problem with the plot itself so much as it's so common.

When LGBT characters are so underrepresented in general, having one plot be the most popular overshadows other possibilities: LGBT characters who find accepting churches, LGBT characters who are Muslim/Buddhist/etc., LGBT characters who choose to follow their faith's teachings on sexuality, LGBT characters who have their own problems that have nothing to do with homophobic church members...

...granted, this probably won't be a problem in your setting, but you asked. :D

Monnrella

Registered
Reaction score
The "A" is for asexual/aromantic. Just identifying as "an ally" makes things less confusing. :)

My personal pet peeve is this plotline: the teen grew up in a fundamentalist Christian family/area, comes out as gay and immediately either is rejected by their family and church or cuts off all ties themselves. It's not really a problem with the plot itself so much as it's so common.

When LGBT characters are so underrepresented in general, having one plot be the most popular overshadows other possibilities: LGBT characters who find accepting churches, LGBT characters who are Muslim/Buddhist/etc., LGBT characters who choose to follow their faith's teachings on sexuality, LGBT characters who have their own problems that have nothing to do with homophobic church members...

...granted, this probably won't be a problem in your setting, but you asked. :D

Oh, puke. Me, too. Can't stand that plotline. Just feels very trite. And I would like not to be trite.

I just read somewhere that "A" can be "ally" as well as "asexual," and I was like uh what? Thanks for correcting me. I should have vetted my "research" better.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm an ally as well, and I can't speak for anyone else in any case, but I think it would be nice if there were some stories about QUILTBAG youth who find accepting faith communities. Welcoming churches are out there, but an amazing number of people think Christianity (and maybe other religions too) in general has no place for gay, lesbian, transgender, gender non conforming etc. people who don't suppress that side of themselves or live celibate lives.

I'm not Christian myself, but I do think it's annoying that Christianity is automatically equated with conservative and restrictive social values. As if all Christians are fundamentalists.

One peeve I have is that speculative fiction often projects contemporary issues and attitudes about sexuality and orientation onto a fictional society that is very different in other ways, as if they've been universal across every time and place in real history. It doesn't sound like that's an issue for your story.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read much YA anymore, but a few common LGBT tropes that are commonly used in various media that I am getting tired of are: dead (or doomed) lesbians, "psycho/evil" lesbians, or dead/doomed and "psycho/evil" lesbians.

Monnrella

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an ally as well, and I can't speak for anyone else in any case, but I think it would be nice if there were some stories about QUILTBAG youth who find accepting faith communities. Welcoming churches are out there, but an amazing number of people think Christianity (and maybe other religions too) in general has no place for gay, lesbian, transgender, gender non conforming etc. people who don't suppress that side of themselves or live celibate lives.

I'm not Christian myself, but I do think it's annoying that Christianity is automatically equated with conservative and restrictive social values. As if all Christians are fundamentalists.

One peeve I have is that speculative fiction often projects contemporary issues and attitudes about sexuality and orientation onto a fictional society that is very different in other ways, as if they've been universal across every time and place in real history. It doesn't sound like that's an issue for your story.

Hey Roxx! Thanks for the comment. I have that problem with religion, too, especially when people call sexuality "a choice." Right. Or "a sin," another favorite of mine. Sigh.

My story is a portal story, with the bulk of the story taking place in the fantasy world. The inhabitants of the fantasy world have been able to travel back and forth from their world to "the Mainland" via portals, so they're similar to us because of that, but they also have their own unique identity, including a religion. But I'm not intending to do any of it in any sort of beat-em-over-the-head way, because I find that obnoxious. I mean, I already agree with equality, so I don't need someone preaching it to me. It's like going to see one of those depressing kids' movies where you think it's about penguins but it's really about the horrific things people are doing to the oceans and the environment in general. I got the message a long time ago; don't need to see it again. Anyway, this society is, I guess, what I envision a perfect society to be, with caring about the environment and being pro-equality, etc. But there's a war taking place because people were unhappy, which left room for a dictator to step in. And of course, there's magic. I wonder if my society is a little TOO perfect now....

Thanks again for the feedback. Very helpful.

Monnrella

Registered
Reaction score
I don't read much YA anymore, but a few common LGBT tropes that are commonly used in various media that I am getting tired of are: dead (or doomed) lesbians, "psycho/evil" lesbians, or dead/doomed and "psycho/evil" lesbians.

Oooh, yes, the psycho lesbian!! Especially if she's a killer! That's actually what got me worrying about my work*, because I have heard of the psycho lesbian trope, and I recently finished a book where two straight girls developed romantic feelings for each other or SOMETHING and the one girl was sleeping with the BFF's boyfriend because she "wanted to feel what it felt like to be [other girl] by being with him" and then other girl killed her and whaaaaaat. No, thanks. I find this trope very bizarre.

*My concern was that I'd get all tropey, but not necessarily THIS wacky trope!

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Monnrella,

I like the idea of your world, and I think your heart is in the right place. Just write it like you intend and get some betas after. If your character tells you she's bi along the way, just go with it and get some feedback.

I'd like it if a few more of the "gay best friends" were more regular guy, and not always sassy. It can be fun, but not every gay man is a wit! Don't get me wrong, I do love a sassy guy, it would just be different and less expected. It's still better than nothing though.

I just like to think of people as people and write them as such, which sounds like what you're doing.

Good luck!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
"A" is for asexual.

We could die less.

We could be evil less.

We could have more personalities.

We could be less tragic.

We could be more common.

We could be more weird.

We could matter more.

We could have more varied backstories.

We could be heroes, not sidekicks.

We could save the world.

We could have our happy endings.

We could be less white.

We could be less able-bodied.

We could be less neurotypical.

We could be everywhere.

Last edited:

Monnrella

Registered
Reaction score
Monnrella,

I like the idea of your world, and I think your heart is in the right place. Just write it like you intend and get some betas after. If your character tells you she's bi along the way, just go with it and get some feedback.

I'd like it if a few more of the "gay best friends" were more regular guy, and not always sassy. It can be fun, but not every gay man is a wit! Don't get me wrong, I do love a sassy guy, it would just be different and less expected. It's still better than nothing though.

I just like to think of people as people and write them as such, which sounds like what you're doing.

Good luck!

Thanks, Darien! Much appreciated. This was really helpful. I agree about the gay best friend, too. They don't always need to be queens or flamboyant. People are people, and while sexuality makes us unique among almost all mammals, it need not define us. That's also what I'm hoping to achieve.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I wonder if my society is a little TOO perfect now....

Thanks again for the feedback. Very helpful.

It's possible for a fantasy culture to be a lot better than ours in some ways and not others. Maybe there are other forms of discrimination people have to face. My first (unsold) novel was set in a fantasy culture that is accepting of different orientations and has matrilineal inheritance, but it's also got a pretty rigid class structure that is just starting to evolve into something with more upward mobility (among much pushback). There are other social issues too. For instance, even though it's not based on race itself, people within this society are less than welcoming to the people who poured into their country during the last big war, and a generation later, the refugees and their children are still treated like outsiders.

And even though magic makes some things better (like healing and infant survival) than they were in a similar period of technological development in our own world, there are still many issues and risks associated with living in a pre-industrial world. Magic is costly, and for the most part it's the wealthier people who have the means to train their talent (if they have it) or purchase the services of a talented individual.

There are other ways the sensibilities of most people living in this world don't mesh with ours.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Darien! Much appreciated. This was really helpful. I agree about the gay best friend, too. They don't always need to be queens or flamboyant. People are people, and while sexuality makes us unique among almost all mammals, it need not define us. That's also what I'm hoping to achieve.

Glad it was helpful!

Roxxsmom has a good point about the world too, just in terms of what's at stake for you!

Good luck!

:)

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
There have been some good suggestions here. One that particularly irks me is the tragic queer character. As hard as it is to find LGBTQIA representation, it's even harder to find with a happy or satisfying ending. Imagine if EVERY straight character you ever read about ended up like "Brokeback Mountain."

Also, books that don't reveal that a character is queer until well into the work. While coming out is a big and important part of most LGBTQIA journeys, it'd be nice to sometimes identify with a character right from the start instead of having to go through the dance of guesswork like we usually do. Consider Dumbledore from Harry Potter. While still a great character, he could have been an excellent gay role model for the queer kids reading the series, but we didn't get a single hint of it until Rowling made the 'big reveal' after the whole series was published.

And finally, authors who stick in one LGBTQIA and make a mark in the diversity checklist. It's okay to have two, or three, or a group of varied LGBTQIA characters. We tend to travel in packs, even in rural areas.

Monnrella

Registered
Reaction score
There have been some good suggestions here. One that particularly irks me is the tragic queer character. As hard as it is to find LGBTQIA representation, it's even harder to find with a happy or satisfying ending. Imagine if EVERY straight character you ever read about ended up like "Brokeback Mountain."

Also, books that don't reveal that a character is queer until well into the work. While coming out is a big and important part of most LGBTQIA journeys, it'd be nice to sometimes identify with a character right from the start instead of having to go through the dance of guesswork like we usually do. Consider Dumbledore from Harry Potter. While still a great character, he could have been an excellent gay role model for the queer kids reading the series, but we didn't get a single hint of it until Rowling made the 'big reveal' after the whole series was published.

And finally, authors who stick in one LGBTQIA and make a mark in the diversity checklist. It's okay to have two, or three, or a group of varied LGBTQIA characters. We tend to travel in packs, even in rural areas.

Love your ideas for your world, Roxx! That sounds really interesting.

Tim, I agree with you wholeheartedly about the Dumbledore thing. I remember reading about that and wondering, what the hell?! It seemed like such a bizarre add-on, and furthermore, what did it have ANYTHING to do with the story at all? As to having multiple LGBT characters, I'm glad you mentioned that. The MC's best friend's sister is also gay, and I worried that it would seem too "Look! I'm an ally! You should be, too! Listen to my not-so-subtle hints about equality!" My villain is based off of a historical figure, and I'm trying to make that subtle as well. No one likes to be beaten over the head. Gotta be sneaksy.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Queer people often have queer friends. This shouldn't be surprising yet somehow it's "unrealistic".

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
In my series, I have a girl-girl couple as characters. One identifies as Lesbian and has known she was one even before she knew the word. The other is bisexual. I have to admit, I originally saw the Bisexual character in a more villainous light--not as evil as the gang-leader, but she's not exactly pursuing power out of the generosity of her heart--and that she didn't really have feelings for the other girl, but the other girl had skills she found useful, so she went along with it.

But in the transition from brain to paper, the bisexual character wound up being a more heroic character and she and the other character have genuine affection for each other.

Though my stuff is Post-Apocalyptic, so generally no one cares if your GLBT; people got bigger stuff to worry about than whether your neighbor likes dudes or not. It's also set in an indeterminate point in the future. GLBT people do face struggles that other groups don't, but like with interracial couples, only the most lunatic of fringes will outright say GLBT couples shouldn't be allowed to marry or do anything straight couples can.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score

Great points! Dumbledore was a head scratcher, however, the teacher who had the parties with Voldemort and the popular kids came off creepy to me in more of a gay-pervy way. Sorry I can't recall the name. Am I just weird?

Also, how many gay characters is an interesting question. I have a few . . .

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Great points! Dumbledore was a head scratcher, however, the teacher who had the parties with Voldemort and the popular kids came off creepy to me in more of a gay-pervy way. Sorry I can't recall the name. Am I just weird?

Also, how many gay characters is an interesting question. I have a few . . .

Are you referring to Slughorn? 'Cause his parties weren't sexual. He was just obsessed with the attention that comes with connections to powerful or famous people. Still kinda gross, but not really in a pervy way, imo.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score

Haha! I am guilty of this in my most recently published novel! Must add that I used this plot line because, unfortunately, religion has frequently been the main reason why several LGBT+ people I know and know of have struggled to come out, not to mention struggled after coming out :(
And I live in a very open-minded country... so despite this being perhaps 'old and overdone', it's still very real for many people.

I second those mentioning the sassy queer friend. I wouldn't call it a pet peeve of mine, but I do notice those sidekicks, absolutely! Then again, it's the same with most straight friends in YAs I read - it's very noticeable how they are often outgoing and funny, as opposed to the more introverted protagonist.

Last edited:

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
In my YA novel, the protagonist has a crush on her gay best friend. (Sorry, yes, the gay best friend thing.) Yet when given the chance to have a hetero version of the same person (it's complicated, a fantasy novel), she chooses to keep her gay friend as he is. She turns down the chance at romance because the friendship is more important to her. She becomes his advocate in a sense.

My peeve is stories where LGBTQ characters are introduced and that's their entire plot line and defining characteristic. As if being LGBTQ were the only important or interesting thing about them and that's their entire lives--being gay takes up all their time or something.

Monnrella

Registered
Reaction score
In my YA novel, the protagonist has a crush on her gay best friend. (Sorry, yes, the gay best friend thing.) Yet when given the chance to have a hetero version of the same person (it's complicated, a fantasy novel), she chooses to keep her gay friend as he is. She turns down the chance at romance because the friendship is more important to her. She becomes his advocate in a sense.

My peeve is stories where LGBTQ characters are introduced and that's their entire plot line and defining characteristic. As if being LGBTQ were the only important or interesting thing about them and that's their entire lives--being gay takes up all their time or something.

Love this idea in your novel. And agreed about characters where all they are is gay. That's why I tried to slip the sexuality bit in there sneakily. It's introduced by using foreign words that are part of the fantasy world's language. So when the character says, "Camdaa are for opposite, while nusia are for same," then a few lines later, "You'll meet my nusi," it's not supposed to be a big deal. Readers may notice; they may not. Then when the girlfriend and MC are interacting for the first time, there is a bit of "How did you meet?" talk. Maybe the reader will go, "SAY WHAT NOW?!" here. Maybe it'll still slip on by, and at the end they'll say, "Hey wait a second...I didn't realize she was gay!" It won't be like a Dumbledore thing, it'll be more, if you're paying attention, you'll see it. If you're not, and you don't realize till the end of the novel, well, that's perfectly fine too, because I can't say I'd really care if all of a sudden a friend of mine turned out to be gay. I'd be like, "Oh, cool." Not like, "Ooooooooh have you met any cute girls?! Who's your favorite actress??? I would soooooo be into Natalie Portman, you know, if I were that way​."

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It's introduced by using foreign words that are part of the fantasy world's language. So when the character says, "Camdaa are for opposite, while nusia are for same," then a few lines later, "You'll meet my nusi," it's not supposed to be a big deal.

The other bit of world-building this does for you is that it tells the astute reader than your fantasy culture has a binary gender system, where the two binary genders are considered "opposite" rather than simply different, which has important implications in terms of gender roles and gender expectations, as well as how gender-nonconforming (including queer) characters and transgender characters are perceived in that culture.

Last edited:

Monnrella

Registered
Reaction score
The other bit of world-building this does for you is that it tells the astute reader than your fantasy culture has a binary gender system, where the two binary genders are considered "opposite" rather than simply different, which has important implications in terms of gender roles and gender expectations, as well as how gender-nonconforming (including queer) characters and transgender characters are perceived in that culture.

Ah, very cool. I didn't even think of it that way. I guess because I've never seen LGBT folks as "different." Cool. Thanks a ton for pointing this out. Makes me happy. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, very cool. I didn't even think of it that way. I guess because I've never seen LGBT folks as "different." Cool. Thanks a ton for pointing this out. Makes me happy. :)

Yep. Something seemingly simple like using "opposite" vs "other" to describe gender can have huge implications in conveying how gender is perceived.

Monnrella

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, would you guys rather see a character who was just homosexual, or would you rather see bi? I can see this character going either way, but she ends up with another woman. Men would have been more her past. And I don't think it was an "experimenting" sort of thing or "I didn't know I was gay," because the society has, as kuwisdelu noted, a binary gender system. You start playing with cars a little girl, whatever. You dress up in dresses and want to be a princess as a little boy, whatever. And you can be damn sure their stores don't have kids' toys separated by gender and pink/blue shelving!

Basically I want to live here.