Catholic Mass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But mocking Catholic practices is? Of course it is. Nobody mocks Catholic traditions better than a former altar boy who began torturing nuns in first grade: "Charles, do not balance your chair on its back legs. If you continue this reckless behavior two more times, your parents will be notified."

That's an automatic freebie of one more time. It's like permission.

For an actual field mass, our chaplain raided the mess hall for grape juice and crackers. Worked just as well.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
For writers with any interest in religion and culture, or ritual, or beauty, do attend mass if you leave your home nation.

It's not the same everywhere, not only within the Roman church, but the Greek, Russian, Romanian, Armenian churches are all a little different.

But all are both moving and beautiful, even aside from the theologic context.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
It's best to just go to mass, but don't do the Saturday 5:00 one, because it's usually abbreviated and has more modern music. Remember, however, that just a few years ago they changed some of the verbage in prayer, and I'm still trying to catch on. 60 years ago, so I hear, many masses were still said in Latin. Cor ad Cor Loquitor: Good luck and be well!

CapnJack

Registered
Reaction score
I actually figured out how I'm going to deal with this. But thank you all for your advice.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cap'n, don't believe the grade school nuns who think you'll go to Hell for not capitalizing every single doggone common noun that may refer to a religious position.

It's not the Catholic Church. It's the Catholic church. Most of us go to mass, not Mass.

It's a priest, a sister, a pope, a brother, a monsignor. They're only capitalized when it's Father Brown, Sister Margaret, Pope Francis, Monsignor Adam, or Brother Nicholas.

A place can be heavenly or hellish, but if you're told to visit a specific locale, it's Go to Hell, Heaven, or Portland.

You can love Mom, Dad, and God, but it's a mom, a dad, or a god.

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
Cap'n, don't believe the grade school nuns who think you'll go to Hell for not capitalizing every single doggone common noun that may refer to a religious position.

It's not the Catholic Church. It's the Catholic church. Most of us go to mass, not Mass.

It's a priest, a sister, a pope, a brother, a monsignor. They're only capitalized when it's Father Brown, Sister Margaret, Pope Francis, Monsignor Adam, or Brother Nicholas.

A place can be heavenly or hellish, but if you're told to visit a specific locale, it's Go to Hell, Heaven, or Portland.

You can love Mom, Dad, and God, but it's a mom, a dad, or a god.

Per the dictionary, when used in the sense of the religious ceremony, it is a proper noun and should be capitalized: Mass.
It a would a pope, but the Pope, even if no name is given.
The Catholic church is the building down the street; the organization should always be the Catholic Church, in most cases the Roman Catholic Church.

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
The Catholic Mass in the 1880s was in a number of respects quite different from today's. As other posters have pointed out, it was said primarily in Latin, known as the Tridentine rite. Also, of possible importance to your plot line, the altar was against the front wall of the church (the back wall from the outside), and the priest spent most of the time with his back to the congregation, so he might not have seen someone leave. There were key moments when he was facing the congregation, so it still could have happened. You can find videos of the Tridentine Mass on line, and most big cities have at least one Catholic church where the Latin Mass is offered if you want to see it in person. Today's Latin Mass is different in some small ways from the 1880s version (there were changes made in the 1950s and 1960s), although figuring out in what ways would take some serious research (and some knowledge of Latin). (Wikipedia, BTW, has a pretty good article on the history of the Tridentine rite.) Going on my experience with the Latin Mass in the late 1950s and early 1960s, while the Mass was said in Latin, the three scripture readings were read aloud in English and the homily was also in English (in the 1880s, this would have been in the primary language of the parish population, English, German or Italian; my grandmother grew up in a primarily German immigrant neighborhood and told me that the only languages she heard in church were Latin and German). Nobody is ever "saved" at Mass because Catholic doctrine teaches that we're all saved initially by baptism, which happens shortly after birth. Holy Communion then would have been given only the form of the host, only on the tongue, and only to congregants while kneeling at the communion rail. Back then, if someone belonged to one parish for a long time, it was not unusual for one priest to be pastor there for many years, decades even (nowadays, most dioceses rotate them about every seven years). There were a number of southern cities and towns, such as Savannah and New Orleans, with significant Catholic populations. And Savannah's was heavily Irish. Don't know if you're still working on this, but hope it helps either you or someone else.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Zombie thread arise!

*bashes in zombie thread's head* :e2hammer: *roll credits*

Just a reminder, folks: If a thread is more than a few months old or on the 2nd or 3rd page, please don't resurrect it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.