submittable status

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is kind of weird, and I don't know what to make of it. I submitted a story to a publication via submittable. About a month ago, my status changed from "received" to "in-progress." I just checked my submittable account and now that status has changed back to "received." What does this mean? Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm not sure what to think.

bexxs

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that Submittable changes your status to "in progress" whenever the receiver does literally anything to it, from opening it, to assigning it to a reader, to actually reading it. So my guess would be that the place you submitted it did something to it that caused it to be marked as "in progress" early--like clicked on it but did not yet assign it to a reader--and then manually switched it back so they could keep track of where it was in the reading process accurately.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking they meant to "reject" and instead but it back to "received" by mistake. That's really the only thing I can think of.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I think generally when a submission is declined an email is sent to you at the same time--and your submission switches from the active folder to the declined folder. If there's no email, I wouldn't think that it's been rejected.

Blacbird---Submittable is an ummm, I dunno what it's called, but it's a site/service many journals/small pubs/some agents are using to receive and store submissions. It's free to open an account with them, and very easy to use. I love Submittable, and appreciate those who use it, such a neat and stress-free way to keep track of submissions.

bexxs

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if that's likely--it would still show up in their queue, right?