Just talk about 2 books. Story and The foundation of screenwriting.

Tenvi_CC

Registered
Reaction score
I read The foundation of screenwriting 3 months ago. It's my first book about screenwriting. And I learn a lot of cinematic knowledge from this books, for instance, what you should do to find a subject and how to build a character. Actually, it's a basic book summarizing what a paradigm of screenplay should be. If you are a newbie in screenwriting, The foundation of screenwriting is the first choice you should choose in order to draw a blueprint about script in your heart.

And now I'm reading Robert Mckee's Story(Chinese Edition). It definitely hit my heart and leave a deep impression in my mind when i read it. Story is different from The foundation of screenwriting. The author divides a script in several pieces. You will have a deeper thought about screenplays from this book. Last weekend I saw the movie, The Shallow, the movie reminded me of Story, because i found so many elements mentioned in Story. At that time, I feel that the knowledge in books is real. I can see it. I can hear it. I can touch it. I can find it. It gives me confidence to keep learning. I believe Stroy will give you so many surprise, when you read it.

BTW, I will finish Story this week and I just bought 2 books, Four Screenplays: Studies in the American Screenplay and The Screenwriter's Problem Solver: How to Recognize, Identify, and Define Screenwriting Problems, written by Syd Field, from amazon. Can't wait!!!:tongue

Last edited:

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
In another AW thread, these kinds of books are touched upon. Here's the link:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?321189-Best-Book-for-Learning

I would consider Syd Field's and Robert McKee's titles to be only very general overviews to the concepts of screenplays. They're among the first titles any newbie naturally goes to; but they're pretty simplistic and in some places very repetitive. They seem (to me) written for a target audience which is not really around anymore in the numbers they once were. By this I mean the kind of beginning writers who are stumped by fundamentals. Pretty much these days --with the way movies are now so saturated into society via Netflix--I think even the rankest amateur knows the kind of story they want to tell; the kind of story they have in mind; and they grasp that a story has a beginning-middle-end. These utter basics are not the stumbling-blocks they once were.

Screenwriting Bible (David Trottier) is the #1 must-have guide because it explicitly states how to solve format and presentation questions. Scene problems as well.

Other than that I can't name a single screenplay manual or guide which is essential or must-have. Cumulatively--sure--all such books are worth reading; but at some point you realize you have to get yourself up on your own feet. Writing partners are invaluable, live feedback, bootcamps, retreats, study groups, teachers who work one-on-one with you. I put much more weight on 'live learning'.

Last edited: