McSweeney's Quarterly

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know when McSweeney's Quarterly Concern might open again for submissions? I feel like they've been closed to submissions for a long time.

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
Who can tell?

According to my Submittable queue, I submitted my story to them in Sep of 2014, still haven't heard back.

Perhaps they are one of those places that don't send rejection notes, they just wait for you to withdraw.

I'm morbidly curious to see how long it'll stay there, so I'm leaving it.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting them via email or Twitter? (If they have a Twitter account. I think they do.)

A lot of factors might influence opening to subs. I know they solicit work from Name authors so there is not always a need for slush.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I'm not going to contact them. I did try looking for any indication as to when they might reopen for submissions, but couldn't find anything. I love reading McSweeney's, and I know they take longer stories/novellas. But, yeah, I probably don't really have a shot with them. And they do take forever to respond, but nowadays I feel like everywhere takes a really long time. I should be used to the waiting game by now.

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
I sent them a story first week of September 2014, that is two and a half years ago. Tonight, I finally received a response, sort of

McSweeney's said:
Hello,

My name is Kristina Kearns and I am writing you as the new Executive Director at McSweeney's.

I know it's been quite some time since you've received word from us about your Quarterly submission, and I want to apologize for that. Our staff is quite small and the Quarterly was on a long (too long!) hiatus.

I am excited to announce that we sent our 49th issue to press and subscribers will receive their copy in the next six weeks.

We'll also reopen our submissions very, very soon!

Please note that you will soon receive a rejection notice for your former submission. We highly encourage you to resubmit in April if you are still interested.

Please do expect a wait time of 4-6 weeks while we get back up to speed.

Thank you so much for your interest in McSweeney's! I hope to hear more from you soon.

With kind regards,

Kristina Kearns
Executive & Editorial Director

A few minutes later came this follow-up:

McSweeney's said:
Hello again,

Because so many have already asked, please allow me to clarify:

The impending rejection is merely an administrative necessity to re-open submissions and allow those still interested to submit again (or submit a newer piece) in April. It is in no way an indication of merit or interest in the piece. I do apologize if that was unclear.

Please feel free to ask more questions. We're deeply interested in reading your work!

Hope this helps,

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Two years and six months only to find out my submission wasn't read at all.

So, at least now the OP knows they will be re-opening to submissions in April.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I sent them a story first week of September 2014, that is two and a half years ago. Tonight, I

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Two years and six months only to find out my submission wasn't read at all.

So, at least now the OP knows they will be re-opening to submissions in April.

Which generates the obvious question: Why would anybody want to waste time submitting anything to them?

caw

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
Which generates the obvious question: Why would anybody want to waste time submitting anything to them?

caw

Hilariously, they even sent a third email encouraging you to resubmit the piece just now rejected:

McSweeney's said:
Hello! Hopefully you've received two previous emails from our new Executive Director regarding this administrative-only rejection.

We are happy to announce that the Quarterly is back after a very long hiatus, and submissions will reopen in April.

Due to the extended period time since you've submitted, we are clearing the deck and encouraging you to submit this piece again (or another piece if you prefer).

Submission readings will begin in mid-April and it may take 4-6 weeks to receive a response. Our apologies in advance - we're only four people!

Ever yours,
the McSweeney's crew

You'd think they'd be interested in looking at fresher work than stories from over two years passed.