Not open for further replies.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I love a good romance, but the typical romances all end with the commitment or wedding of the two MCs. I wonder sometimes, What happens after the honeymoon? Say, when Lizzie and Darcy settle in at Pemberley. Or Frederica and Alverstoke from Georgette Heyer's Frederica return from their honeymoon. I get so invested in the characters that I don't want to quit at the beginning of the HEA.

Where would I find such books if they are not in the romance genre? Can anyone name some example books?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Pretty much the entire Outlander series is after the honeymoon. A lot of people don't like the books, though, so take this addition to the list with a dose of salt.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Just about anything with a Marriage of Convenience plot takes place after the wedding. Mary Balogh's Survivors Club series is a good example of this. Mystery Romances like those of Deanna Raybourn and Tracy Grant often continue after the marriage.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
There are a scary number of Pride and Prejudice "continuations" out there--publisher Sourcebooks has made a mini-industry out of it. It looks like Mr. and Mrs. Darcy often become amateur sleuths, sort of a Regency Nick and Nora.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I love a good romance, but the typical romances all end with the commitment or wedding of the two MCs. I wonder sometimes, What happens after the honeymoon?
Women's fiction. :tongue

Kidding! Mostly. As others have pointed out, there are some sequels that follow the relationship after the wedding, and others that include marriage as part of the plot (see the Marriage of Convenience trope). But most romances tend to focus on characters overcoming challenges as a means to falling in love. What happens after is the HEA/HFN.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of Romances, most plots with Marriages of Convience or Arranged marriages would have the marriage /honeymoon early on.

One of my favorite series that is "Chick Lit":Women's Fiction, the Shopaholic series, definitely goes through some of romantic stages, from dating, to being engaged, to getting married, to post honeymoon, to pregnancy, and to raising a small child.

I have read a few other Women's Fiction that has couples from romance to post-marriage (or post-courting), but their titles escape me at the moment.

Romances usually go through the courting stage and usually end at marriage (or end at just finally getting together as a committed couple).

I would look at those specific types of Romance plots or look at Women's Fictjon or General Fiction, if one wants to read post-marriage/post-commitment. I know some SFF and a few mystery series that have married couples as well.

(This is why I'm looking at other genres beyond Romance: I want to read beyond initial courting stages. I'm finding out that I'm not into certain popular Romance courting tropes and sexual content.)

Last edited:

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to mention Loretta Chase's Dukes Prefer Blondes. The wedding comes about midpoint in the book. And Jo Goodman's In Want of a Wife, which is a mail-order bride situation.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've read some romance series where the couple in an earlier book are support characters in a later one, so we at least get to visit with them during their post-nuptial happiness. Courtney Milan does this a lot.

Dana_B

...living on hammock time...
Registered
Reaction score
I've read some romance series where the couple in an earlier book are support characters in a later one, so we at least get to visit with them during their post-nuptial happiness. Courtney Milan does this a lot.

Off the top of my head, Marie Force's Gansett Island series does this--typical romance in that the couple falls in love, marries, and lives happily ever after, but then the stories continue a bit in each following book. The 'new' couple does the romance dance and the already-happily married others from previous stories are featured in mini-stories of their own alongside. Sometimes it's a lot to keep up with, but it does let readers stay with a beloved community. I enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.