A Question to Anne McCaffrey Fans

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read Dragonboy, which was the first time I ever really read this author's work.

Are there any books in the Dragon Riders of Pern series that stand alone (As in, not a part of any major or continuing storyline)?

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Well, they all tie together in some way, but I think Dragonsdawn and Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern stand more or less on their own.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah yes, Moreta. I think you do get more out of that one if you know how it feeds into the series but yeah, I agree it's more of a standalone.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The first book in the Harper Hall series (Dragonsong) feels fairly stand-alone to me, though it's more about the fire-lizards than the dragons and weyrs. The third (Dragondrums) also felt like its own thing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The first Pern book, Dragonflight, is obviously the one that starts it all. It was most obviously written to be read by people with no previous acquaintance with Pern. The Harper Hall Trilogy (Dragonsinger etc.) works as a stand alone tale. It's three books, but they're shorter than the other ones (all three together might be around the same length as most of her other books).

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I started my Pern adventures with the Harper Hall Trilogy, having no idea it was related to any other books. I never felt I was missing important information.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's responses.

For me the frustration comes from having one library only have this title or that, and then having to schedule a caravan to get to one of the other libraries that has book 2, or 5, or some such. I'll look for the ones suggested here.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Thank you for everyone's responses.

For me the frustration comes from having one library only have this title or that, and then having to schedule a caravan to get to one of the other libraries that has book 2, or 5, or some such. I'll look for the ones suggested here.

Public libraries can be very bad at stocking entire series. Brick and mortar bookstores are too these days, so it's often hard to get an author's backlist, even when they're still in print. I imagine this has a huge effect on SFF writers' bottom lines.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Public libraries can be very bad at stocking entire series. Brick and mortar bookstores are too these days, so it's often hard to get an author's backlist, even when they're still in print. I imagine this has a huge effect on SFF writers' bottom lines.

Some centuries ago, I worked at a public library, and we could get nearly anything via interlibrary loan (although it sometimes took a little time). It's always worth asking. Support your public library! :)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Some centuries ago, I worked at a public library, and we could get nearly anything via interlibrary loan (although it sometimes took a little time). It's always worth asking. Support your public library! :)

+1

I see lots of ILL books go through at work (though we're a fairly sizeable county library system), and what's not on the shelves might be in central storage (if your system has such a facility), so ask. You could also look online; if you don't like Amazon, there's Powell's, or Half Price Books, etc.

Sketti

Registered
Reaction score
Dragonsdawn is my favourite Pern book and can definitely be read as standalone although the feels are better when you read the core series first.

I think most of the prequel books are fairly standalone at that. And yes to 'Moreta' as a highlight. I quite like Todd's book too, especially when he focuses on the watchwhers because it's different :)

what about Dolphins of Pern? Not so much about the dragons but good fun...

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Interlibrary loan is your friend. So is digital lending, if your library has advanced that far.

Also assuming I have an e-reading device. The Interlibrary loan can and has been my friend, except that recently ours has been a bit faulty (translation, the librarians dropped the ball a couple times, making it easier for me to just physically go to the libraries closest to me since my card works at any of them).

A couple of people have mentioned Dragonsdawn, so I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Also assuming I have an e-reading device. The Interlibrary loan can and has been my friend, except that recently ours has been a bit faulty (translation, the librarians dropped the ball a couple times, making it easier for me to just physically go to the libraries closest to me since my card works at any of them).

A couple of people have mentioned Dragonsdawn, so I'll keep an eye out.

Overdrive, which most MA public libraries subscribe too, works in the Web browser as well as in apps for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices. Kindle format books can be read on Kindles, Macs, iOS, Windows, and Android.