Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Unsurprisingly, Chomsky was wrong

Threaded View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin BagfootBandit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
    So thought comes out of work and not the other way around? Heh.
    Makes sense, considering we think with our bodies. The whole mind/body separation in western philosophy and psychology is kinda odd if we think about it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by dinky_dau View Post

Oh well. If Chomsky's theory (of universal grammar) is outmoded; then so be it. I'm pretty sure his ego isn't wounded by this turn-of-events. Happens all the time in science. If it's no longer relevant, that's fine. But this not to say that Chomsky's early work nor his career was useless, or not undertaken in good faith. He still helped the field progress; he still took a step forward into an unknown territory. It was a theory, after all. Theories provoke research. I feel the guy still deserves all our respect.

Just my opinion, of course.
    Absolutely. Most founders of various scientific fields have been proven wrong to great degree, but they're still honored. He helped advance science, and that is no mean feat. All scientists are wrong even when they're right, and that's what makes discovering the unknown so exciting!
    Last edited by BagfootBandit; 07-17-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Life is suffering, but there are ways to transcend it.

My self-published novel, The Western Gods:
    https://www.amazon.com/Western-Gods-.../dp/0989659410

My writing inspired by C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, The Angelic Letters: angelicletters.tumblr.com