I'm considering moving to Blogger.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The thought of doing so is exhausting. My host is having too many problems, and the theme I use was just deprecated. I'm thinking if I have to go to all the trouble of changing hosts and developing a new theme, why not move back to blogger. I dunno. I'm mostly thinking out loud here. Any thoughts?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Just to clarify--is this for a blog blog, or a website using a blog platform?

I blog on Blogger--been there for nine years and have never had a problem, but it's just a straightforward blog. My website is through wordpress.org, and that's worked out fairly well also (though I wish I were a tad more tech-savvy about it--I'm mostly self-taught.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The thought of doing so is exhausting. My host is having too many problems, and the theme I use was just deprecated. I'm thinking if I have to go to all the trouble of changing hosts and developing a new theme, why not move back to blogger. I dunno. I'm mostly thinking out loud here. Any thoughts?

Change hosts. First, you need to back up your current site three ways:

1. Via the WordPress dashboard, got to Tools, and Export. You’ll need to do this if you move to Blogger.

2. Via your Host, download the MySQL database. They probably use MyPHP to do that. Write down the database name and password.

3. Via FTP on your Host, got to the WordPress Content directory and download it.

Take screenshots of the way the top page looks, any Page, and any Post. Write down the names of any plugins you’re using. Write down the template name. List the widgets in the order they appear via checking Widgets under Appearance. Copy any Text you need (like JavaScripts or Text or HTML or links).

I’d suggest looking at BlueHost, DreamHost or Hostgater as hosts; there are lots of others too, but these three are fairly good at tech support and have one click installs for WordPress.

You can absolutely have Pages as well as Posts on Blogger. Your design template options are much reduced, but they are there.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Platform. It's easy to make blogger identical to wordpress, so that's not an issue. I prefer to keep a website and blog in the same house, so to speak.

I think I'm just tired. Wordpress is great, but it does have technical issues and error behind the scenes. Then, there is my host, which I spent over an hour with on the phone with to resolve a database issue.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Change hosts. First, you need to back up your current site three ways:

1. Via the WordPress dashboard, got to Tools, and Export.

2. Via your Host, download the MySQL database. They probably use MyPHP to do that. Write down the database name and password.

3. Via FTP on your Host, got to the WordPress Content directory and download it.

Take screenshots of the way the top page looks, any Page, and any Post. Write down the names of any plugins you’re using.

I’d suggest looking at BlueHost, DreamHost or Hostgater as hosts; there are lots of others too, but these three are fairly good at tech support and have one click installs for WordPress

It's the moving and updating all the images that is given me pause. Would downloading the database grab them? Or maybe that would be in step 3. Would image links still have to be updated?

I'm currently with Bluehost. I like them well enough, but I got plopped onto one of their problematic servers.

Thanks! This give me encouragement.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's the moving and updating all the images that is given me pause. Would downloading the database grab them? Or maybe that would be in step 3. Would image links still have to be updated?

I'm currently with Bluehost. I like them well enough, but I got plopped onto one of their problematic servers.

Thanks! This give me encouragement.

The import of the xml file will attempt to link to the images on the OLD server. Not long term viable.

The reason for using FTP to grab the Contents folder is that it has all the uploads; typically it has them in folders ordered by year and month.

The database will have paths for those images that relate to the Uploads folder.

If your new host allows you to import the database and you upload the Uploads folder via FTP to your new host (keeping the path exactly) the images should magically appear.

SHOULD. Sometimes it they don’t, at which point you can change the path by hand or if you’re geeky, using search and replace.

You do need to have all three kinds of backup; XML export, Uploads folder, and MySQL database.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I gotcha. All three in the works.

Also with respect to themes, be wary. The ones you download from WordPress.org, from within WordPress itself, have been checked at least for basics.

Themes from elsewhere, even paid ones, often have malware, including ads and back doors and base64 hidden crap. Be cautious.

The current Wordpress standard 2016 theme is exceedingly customizeable, btw.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also with respect to themes, be wary. The ones you download from WordPress.org, from within WordPress itself, have been checked at least for basics.

Themes from elsewhere, even paid ones, often have malware, including ads and back doors and base64 hidden crap. Be cautious.

The current Wordpress standard 2016 theme is exceedingly customizeable, btw.

I was using suffusion--a fantastic theme, which was okayed by WP, but now isn't. I was thinking of just using one of the basic themes. I don't do anything really fancy on this site. I'd been looking at 2014, but I check out 2016.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone teetering on this crisis--it has been averted. Staying were I am. Still doing theme stuff. That's exciting. I figure if I'm going get a new theme, I might as well change it up, so there are so many possibilities. That said (I hate that expression), I'm thinking I'm sticking with one of the basic WP themes they put out themselves so I don't get into this predicament again.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone teetering on this crisis--it has been averted. Staying were I am. Still doing theme stuff. That's exciting. I figure if I'm going get a new theme, I might as well change it up, so there are so many possibilities. That said (I hate that expression), I'm thinking I'm sticking with one of the basic WP themes they put out themselves so I don't get into this predicament again.

Remember also to always make backups.

And use one of the security plugins -- JUST ONE, either WordFence

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/

or iThemes Security

https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-wp-security/

I've used both. Both have free and paid options.

Don't use your email address in the clear; use a Contact form.

There's one in JetPack, WordPresses own add-on plugin.

Don't turn on everything; just what you'll actually use.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm moving my health-related blog to Blogger from Wordpress. Buying a domain through name.com and putting it on auto-pay with my husband's credit card, so the blog should stay active for a long time. My Wordpress was a free one, which meant a lot of plug-ins weren't available. I'm trying to increase visibility of my blog. A local social marketing guy said Blogger would be better for my purpose.

I prefer the look of Wordpress - seems more elegant - but Blogger will be easier for my husband to update if needed. Plus I don't have to pay extra for the hosting.

I want my blog to continue even I'm not able to keep it up - it's info for others with the same disease as me.

Last edited: