Colin Kaepernick Sits Through National Anthem Last Night

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Overall, I feel we expect a teeny bit to much from the NFL. It's a football league. It's not responsible for racial relations in the U.S, it's not supposed to be a holy grail for anyone. It's a TV-show about people playing football, nothing else.

They sure do like to make money off "girls" though, don't they. All that pink shit they sell for BC awareness and then keep a huge percentage of the proceeds.

They love to stick their noses into whatever social issue they think will make them money. That's how we got the military involved in the pregame ceremonies to begin with (including making the players take the field for the national anthem). It didn't happen before 9/11, so go away with that holy grail nonsense. They pick and choose. They're influencers, and if you don't believe that, you don't live in an NFL city where you can see $125 jerseys being worn by men, women, and children 7 days a week, 365 days a year. (Oh, and lets not forget the special camo hats/jerseys/tshirts they sell, too.)

They *choose* not to lead on an issue that directly affects the lives of 70% of their on-field labor force and the tens of thousands of hopefuls who look to them AS a holy grail.

It can't be blamed for there being no girls playing for example. It's unrelated but it there was enough demand for girls playing football there would be a mainstream league.

JFC, let's drag 100-year-old bromides into this. I do recall hearing this same argument about giving women the vote. And a Women's NBA league, and women's soccer, and women boxers, etc etc ad nauseum.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone is having a meltdown

Link-Twitter

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
[h=1]Colin Kaepernick’s Collusion Case Against the NFL Allowed to Proceed[/h]
Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s collusion case against the NFL will proceed after an arbitrator appointed by the league and the players’ association ruled that Kaepernick had produced sufficient evidence that NFL owners colluded to keep him out of the league following his trailblazing protests during the national anthem. Kaepernick filed a grievance last fall against the NFL alleging that the league made a coordinated effort to keep him out of the league following the 2016 season.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, and after a long, hot, bad Labor Day I was all too glad to repost it on social media. Another NFL season begins this week and once again Colin Kaepernick will not be on any of the 32 teams rosters. Not even the Buffalo Bills whose starting quarterback will be one Nathan Peterman, who sucks so badly at playing quarterback he threw five interceptions in the first half of a game last season.

But he must be better than Kaepernick because Peterman is in the league and Kaep isn't, right?

No, for a real trash human being, meet Carla Maloney, a former GOP (duh!) official who played the increasingly popular Monkey Card:

The Republican Committee of Beaver County’s secretary made racist Facebook posts last year about black NFL players kneeling during the national anthem, repeatedly referring to them as “baboons.”

Carla Maloney, a Hopewell Township resident, made the comments on her personal Facebook page, which can no longer be found, under the name Carla Belich Fueller. Screen grabs of the page show Maloney and her friends commenting on the anthem issue.

Chip Kohser, chairman of the RCBC, said the posts were made before Maloney was named secretary earlier this year. Kohser said he thought the posts were made after most of the Pittsburgh Steelers remained in the locker room for the anthem before their game Sept. 24, 2017, in Chicago.

“Tired of these over paid ignorant blacks telling me what I should believe in. I will tell you what I believe in and that is our Flag the National Anthem and America period end of story,” she wrote. “You don’t like it here go to Africa see how you like it there. We are all Americans not African American not Hispanic American. WE ARE ALL AMERICAN.”

Maloney then complained about “reverse racism” in America and said she was “sick of the name calling, rioting, shooting, and looting.” She predicted a civil war “soon than later.”

Further in the thread, Maloney turned her anger toward the Steelers and her racist language grew even harsher.

“Steelers are now just as bad as the rest of the over paid baboons. You respect your flag, country and our national anthem. How many men and women have lost limbs or died to protect this country and you baboons want respect,” she wrote. “If you want respect you need to earn it and so far you haven’t. Stop watching, or going to a game and paying for over priced food, water and tickets. Let’s see how the baboons get paid when white people stop paying their salaries
.”

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nike likely figured more young black men buy Nikes than alt-right Nazis and other assorted Trumpers.

Good for Nike even if it was a calculated decision.

Or, maybe they actually took a moral stand.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Nike likely figured more young black men buy Nikes than alt-right Nazis and other assorted Trumpers.

Good for Nike even if it was a calculated decision.

Or, maybe they actually took a moral stand.

Pretty much anything coming out of a major company is going to be calculated on some level. When making a profit coincides with doing the right thing, that's about the best we can hope for.

I saw a comment somewhere (cannot recall source) that suggested that they wouldn't have done this at all if market research indicated a long-term hit, which seems quite likely; the fact that market research supports this move gave the person some hope for the future.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a brand manager, I'm feeling a little sorry for Reebok right now. I doubt they wanted to become the alternative sports brand for racists knuckleheads hoping to stick it to Nike. I think they were happy being the go-to brand for little old ladies powerwalking at the mall.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Last I heard, New Balance were Trump supporters...

No way. My dad LOVED New Balance, and if he were alive to see Trump in the Whitehouse, he would be appalled. New Balance are kind of boring but very sturdy and reliable, pretty much the opposite of Trump.

Trump supporters can have those rocker-bottom shoes that were trendy in 2011.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently there is a Tweet storm of the alt-white against Nike. That right-wing echo chamber is vicious, poised to attack at a moment's notice.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently there is a Tweet storm of the alt-white against Nike. That right-wing echo chamber is vicious, poised to attack at a moment's notice.

Few things are funnier to me than reactionary right-wing types collectively crapping their Fruit of the Looms because they mad at Nike over a guy who hasn't played in the NFL for nearly two years.

Yet they are and it's hilarious.

Colin Kaepernick is the new face of a Nike ad campaign. As you might imagine, this has really angered the type of people who have said, “I’m a Christian first, and a conservative second” out loud at the dinner table. And if there’s one thing you can expect from these people, it’s that they will go about expressing their displeasure in the dumbest way possible.

And so let us bear witness to what has now become a great tradition of the internet: destroying your stuff to own the libs.

Trashing your own shit to make a point important to no one is the height of stupidity, but at this point only a stupid person would still believe the NFL players took a knee to disrespect the flag.
If these yahoos really wanna show how much they dislike Nike, next time put them on first before burning them up. :flamethrower

If you're trying to make a statement don't half-ass it. Be hardcore and go all the way.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Last I heard, New Balance were Trump supporters...

That was a hoax, according to Snopes:
https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/11/16/new-balance-targeted-by-white-supremacist-troll-hoax/

Wall Street Journal reporter Sara Germano deliberately cherry picked quotes by New Balance’s public affairs vice president Matt LeBretton to make it look like his comments about trade agreements and footwear taxes were instead enthusiastic support for Trump.

White supremacist troll site Daily Stormer jumped on the story with a clickbait piece of nonsense about New Balance shoes being the official shoes of racists.

Sadly, a whole bunch of news media ate it up.

But there’s no there there.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Few things are funnier to me than reactionary right-wing types collectively crapping their Fruit of the Looms because they mad at Nike over a guy who hasn't played in the NFL for nearly two years.

Yet they are and it's hilarious.

Trashing your own shit to make a point important to no one is the height of stupidity, but at this point only a stupid person would still believe the NFL players took a knee to disrespect the flag.
If these yahoos really wanna show how much they dislike Nike, next time put them on first before burning them up. :flamethrower

If you're trying to make a statement don't half-ass it. Be hardcore and go all the way.

Oh man, I really, REALLY needed this laugh today. That's the best thing ever! Smart move on Nike's part. They're on the right side of history AND they're getting all kinds of free publicity. Win-win, really.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

I was really let down by the right's boycott of Dick's Sporting Goods. I would have been totally owned if they publically destroyed their...well, it was very low-energy is what I'm saying.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

Smart move on Nike's part. They're on the right side of history AND they're getting all kinds of free publicity. Win-win, really.

These Einsteins DO realize Nike already HAS their money for the gear they're destroying, right?

Good times, man. We live in good times. :rolleyes

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Conservatives freak out, photograph and video themselves burning and cutting up their Nike shoes, socks, etc.

Hilarity ensued.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Is this not going to make Nikes even more popular with young people seeking to annoy their conservative elders?

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Colin was the face of Nike, then saw Trump's tweet about people protesting, thinking he be exaggerating as usually, went to check out the news and what the f***

Why would you people burn socks you already own ...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nike has a badass ad running in Mexico, too. I think combined with the Kaep thing, it's pretty obvious they're staking their future on diversity and equality in sport.

Check out the ad, it's major-grin-inducing. -->https://twitter.com/nikemexico/status/1035596276778188800
OMG, I love that ad! And that it's playing in Mexico, that's priceless.

On one of my previous visits to Mexico the TV commercial that will be forever bouncing around my brain was one of the maid washing the dishes with Dawn dish soap and she's ecstatic because la dueña will be so pleased she can see her face in the plates.

Did you notice the cop smacked the guy doing a cat-call?

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To hear the National Association of Police Organizations tell it, some cops (mostly White ones ) are a bit butt-hurt about the Kap/Nike collaboration and they wrote a letter to Nike president and CEO Mark Parker telling him just how butt-hurt they are.

Dear Chairman Parker,

On behalf of the more than 241,000 law enforcement officers represented by our Association across the country, I write to you to condemn in the strongest possible terms your selection of Colin Kaepernick for Nike’s “Just Do It” ad campaign. Mr. Kaepernick is known, not as a successful athlete, but as a shallow dilettante seeking to gain notoriety by disrespecting the flag for which so many Americans have fought and died.

The inclusion of Mr. Kaepernick in Nike’s “Just Do It” ad campaign also perpetuates the falsehood that police are racist and aiming to use force against African Americans and persons of color. In reality, officers across the nation risk their lives not only protecting the athletes featured in Nike’s various campaigns, but also serve aspiring athletes across the country who use the Nike brand, through the thousands of Police Athletic Leagues, Boys and Girls Clubs and Big Brother/Big Sister programs where our officers donate their time and energy. They deserve to have the respect and full support of corporate citizens like Nike.

Adding to the insult is the image of Mr. Kaepernick from the campaign featuring the quote “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.” The fact that Mr. Kaepernick is no longer a starting NFL player does not equate to him being someone who has “sacrificed everything”. To truly understand what it means to “believe in something” and “sacrifice everything”, you should look to Arlington National Cemetery, or to the National LawEnforcement Officers’ Memorial in Washington, D.C., or to the trauma unit of a military hospital. The brave men and women of every race and color buried there, memorialized there, healing there, believed in this nation and our flag and exemplify the true meaning of“sacrifice”.

In featuring Mr. Kaepernick in the "Just Do It" campaign, Nike grossly insults the men and women who really do make sacrifices for the sake of our nation. We are calling on all our member officers, their families and friends to join in boycotting all Nike products.

Sincerely,

Michael McHale

Some cops (mostly Black ones) aren't butt-hurt at all.

Mr. Parker:

It is with great dismay that we were made aware of a letter that you received from the National Association of Police Organizations (NAPO) regarding your use of Colin Kaepernick in your new "Just Do It" advertising campaign. The National Black Police Association (NBPA) is not in agreement with NAPO on this matter, and we strongly condemn their call for police officers and their families to boycott Nike and its products.

Your inclusion of Mr. Kaepernick in your ads seems appropriate to us. We live in a country where the 1St Amendment is a right of the people. Mr. Kaepernick chose to exercise his right where his passion was on the football field. NAPO believes that Mr. Kaepernick's choice to openly protest issues surrounding police brutality, racism and social injustices in this country makes him anti-police. On the contrary, the NBPA believes that Mr. Kaepernick's stance is in direct alignment with what law enforcement stands for-the protection of a people, their human rights, their dignity, their safety, and their rights as American citizens.

NAPO has shown an adeptness at maintaining the police status quo and the tone in their letter further validates Mr. Kaepernick's concerns, as it undermines the trust that is needed by law enforcement in order for the profession to maintain its legitimacy. That NAPO has chosen this matter to take a stance, only perpetuates the narrative that police are racist, with no regard, acknowledgement, respect, or understanding of the issues and concerns of the African- American community.

Your quote "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything." is also appropriate as it relates to Mr. Kaepernick. For NAPO to presuppose that Mr. Kaepernick has not made sacrifices because he did not die on a battlefield, shows you just how out of touch NAPO is with the African-American community. We would like for them to stop their false narrative that you are not worthy of respect unless you were in the military or worked in law enforcement. The beauty of this country are the countless sacrifices that all people make in their everyday lives. The African?American community makes a sacrifice each time a life is unjustly lost at the hands of the very people who should protect them. A sacrifice is made each time the criminal justice system treats people of color as less than. A sacrifice is made each time a letter is sent asking officers to boycott a corporation, without asking those very African-American officers who are most affected, what their opinion is.

If they had asked the NBPA, we would have told them that they are out of line, and that the NBPA supports any person or group who exercises their right to peacefully protest against any form of social injustice, including police brutality and racism.

The NBPA proudly supports Nike and your use of Mr. Kaepernick in your new "Just Do It" advertising campaign. Truth and upholding the Constitutional rights of citizens, are cornerstones of leadership in policing. Our mission includes striving constantly to bridge the gap between law enforcement and our communities we are committed to ensuring equity for the community, as we work to enhance trust, legitimacy, transparency, and accountability in policing.

We will likely be buying and wearing lots of Nike products in the near future.

Best wishes,

Sonia Y.W. Pruitt
National Chairperson

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Army vet and I personally have great respect Kaepernick for protesting during the national Anthem. If figure if you can't exercise your freedoms in this country, then the constitution means nothing and the flag stands for nothing.

That said, when I buy sneakers I check to see if they are comfortable and durable. I don't care much who sells them.