Colin Kaepernick Sits Through National Anthem Last Night

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
Of course they could have been great men regardless (don't scew my words please), but football BUILDS character, The military BUILDS character. Those who have physically fought next to their brothers will develop a brotherhood and code of conduct that the outside world never do. Unless you have been in such a situation I'd argue that you can't understand it. It goes beyond the sport or the war. Those few who have been part of such a group are a special bunch of people.

When you live in a area where "education" is a joke, where there is no jobs, sanitation is lackluster etc... there is only so much you can do. Some exceptional people make it out, but most don't. The game is rigged against you. Why would you then damage one of the only ways out? Football is a way out for a lot young men. I'm not saying that players should not do everything they can to help their causes, I'm saying that in this case , in this anthem-situation, they can't win. It's now about patriotism, not police brutality.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
What Ari said.

I would also argue that this has highlighted the issue like nothing else would have or has done in the past.

And as for character building, they are still playing football, these young men are still standing beside their "brothers" they are still working with them, developing relationships, working ethics, so none of that has changed. In fact I'd also argue that it takes MORE character to take a knee, to subject yourself to the opinion of a sometimes racist public, than it would to just comply.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
And as for character building, they are still playing football, these young men are still standing beside their "brothers" they are still working with them, developing relationships, working ethics, so none of that has changed.

I agree. Nothing of that changes, and I never said it did. I was simply replying to Lyv who wrote the following misconstruction:

" Football made them men with admirable characters? Like, all these players are "disadvantaged young males" who otherwise wouldn't be "men with admirable characters" and they just should be grateful and do what their white owners want them to do when they want them to do it...".

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Of course they could have been great men regardless (don't scew my words please), but football BUILDS character, The military BUILDS character. Those who have physically fought next to their brothers will develop a brotherhood and code of conduct that the outside world never do. Unless you have been in such a situation I'd argue that you can't understand it. It goes beyond the sport or the war. Those few who have been part of such a group are a special bunch of people.

I'd argue that this level of fetishization of the military is deeply counterproductive, both to those who serve and those who don't. No, I've never been in the military, but various members of my family (on both mom's and dad's side) served, going back four generations. I knew (and know) these people personally. Some of them are wonderful humans; some of them belong in prison.

Combat is hideous trauma. Sharing trauma with others does indeed create a bond, but to suggest it makes someone a better person? This pulls us into the argument that vets who return with mental issues are somehow weak. And I'm sure, with your interest in the military, that you know the consequences of that kind of cultural pressure.

Most civilizations throughout history have had some sort of standing army. There seems to be this tacit acceptance that humans will stomp all over other humans' territory if they can. Glorifying military service is one way to keep people from questioning the fact that they're going to be asked to give up their children - or die themselves - sometimes for less-than-obviously-beneficial reasons.

But I digress.

When you live in a area where "education" is a joke, where there is no jobs, sanitation is lackluster etc... there is only so much you can do. Some exceptional people make it out, but most don't. The game is rigged against you. Why would you then damage one of the only ways out? Football is a way out for a lot young men. I'm not saying that players should not do everything they can to help their causes, I'm saying that in this case , in this anthem-situation, they can't win. It's now about patriotism, not police brutality.

This, while well-intentioned, is tone-policing. You're telling these people they can't use the power of their platform to speak. And the only reason it's about patriotism is because the right repeated the lie often enough. Peaceful protest is not only a tradition in the US, it's part of what we tell ourselves makes us a great country, that sets us apart from the totalitarian states of the world. And folks want these players to shut up because football? Goodness.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Nothing of that changes, and I never said it did. I was simply replying to Lyv who wrote the following misconstruction:

" Football made them men with admirable characters? Like, all these players are "disadvantaged young males" who otherwise wouldn't be "men with admirable characters" and they just should be grateful and do what their white owners want them to do when they want them to do it...".

I was responding to this:

Further protest will only hurt the product that has made them, and countless other disadvantaged young males, millionaires and, more often than not, men with admirable characters.

"The product that has made them....men with admirable characters."

I went back and read. I stand by my comments.

And the bigger issue is that if enough of us are willing to kneel with them and for them, speak up for them, challenge the reframing, and fight police brutality and inequalities in the justice system, we might make a difference. Those players understand the stakes and they still choose to protest. I won't tell them to stop. I will support them.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
This, while well-intentioned, is tone-policing. You're telling these people they can't use the power of their platform to speak. And the only reason it's about patriotism is because the right repeated the lie often enough. Peaceful protest is not only a tradition in the US, it's part of what we tell ourselves makes us a great country, that sets us apart from the totalitarian states of the world. And folks want these players to shut up because football? Goodness.

Maybe (probably) i'm expressing myself clumsily.

I'm on the players side. They should be able to protest whatever, whenever. But as a former athlete (tennis) who relied on a sport to further my life, I guarantee that most of the football players just want the whole thing to be over so that they can go back to trying to secure a future for their family and playing a game they love. You can make generational wealth playing football, when you come from nothing, you don't really care about a minority of players protesting. There are more pressing concerns. The minority who keep fighting already have their lives "made" and can afford to get bad (however unfairly) reputations etc. But the rookies cannot, neither can those who rely on short contracts with different teams every season etc. Not every player is a superstar after all.

The whole anthem-debate is a lost cause for the players. They can't win. That's the reality of it, whether you or I like it or not. I would love for it to be a great success, but unfortunately the whole thing backfired. Continuous protests will NOT further their cause or anything else. I agree to a 1000% percent in principle, but not every player can afford to act according to principles all the time. Sometimes you are forced to be practical. We here on AW don't have money on the line, but these players do. Future players trying to escape a rough situation will rely on the NFL as a product to get out. Right now that vital product is being hurt by continued protests, so a different approach should be employed. The NFL is too valuable a ladder.

Again, I want them to be able to say whatever, whenever.

Last edited:

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
I was responding to this:

"The product that has made them....men with admirable characters."

I went back and read. I stand by my comments.

And the bigger issue is that if enough of us are willing to kneel with them and for them, speak up for them, challenge the reframing, and fight police brutality and inequalities in the justice system, we might make a difference. Those players understand the stakes and they still choose to protest. I won't tell them to stop. I will support them.

I see how I expressed myself clumsily, sorry.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
\ I'm saying that in this case , in this anthem-situation, they can't win. It's now about patriotism, not police brutality.

1) Players CAN protest this way without damage the brand. The NBA has players protesting in the same manner. Instead of trying to squelch it, the NBA has, as far as I know, been fine with it, and hasn't acted against the players in question. I don't see where the NBA's ticket sales or reputation has suffered. (Or if they have, I certainly haven't heard about it).

2) I'd agree that it's no longer just about police brutality, but regardless of the spin the NFL has worked so hard to put on these protests, it's NOT about patriotism. Kneeling is a sign of respect - generally considered MORE respectful than placing one's hand on one's heart. I'll buy that kneeling displays a "lack of patriotism," when flying a flag at half-mast constitutes "disrespecting the flag."

No, this has nothing to do with patriotism at all. It's about voices raised in respectful protest against a legitimate grievance, and the fact that rather than attempt to address that grievance, or even simply acknowledge its legitimacy, the powers that be are doing their damndest to silence the speakers. Why try to deal with a serious, entrenched, complicated issue, when it's so much easier to plug your ears and pretend it doesn't exist? If players had originally started kneeling in support of a different cause, a non-polarizing cause like say... breast cancer awareness, would the owners have responded with "How dare you disrespect the flag of our wonderful country? There's a time and place for breast cancer awareness*, and it's NOT when the national anthem is playing?"

No. They'd not only support it, they'd probably distribute pink shit to the crowds to wear during the anthem, and go on TV to state how breast cancer is deadly and they're so proud of their players for supporting this worthy cause. The NFL chose to fight this, and in the process, they've successfully cast themselves in the role of "fat cat bad guys trying to force people to conform like polite little automatons" vs. "underdog players just trying to show solidarity with innocent people who are literally dying in the streets."

3) All just causes, everywhere, always, have had opponents try to spin their message into something negative. It's the responsibility of the observers, seeing both message and spin, to recognize which is valid.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Continuous protests will NOT further their cause or anything else.

I disagree, actually. That this topic is still being discussed suggests to me they're making a difference. Certain media outlets might like us to believe they're just tarnishing their reputations, but while I'm sure they are in certain circles, for a lot of other people the conversation has made them look at some hard truths about this country they may not have examined before.

I also want to address this:

The NFL is to[o] valuable a ladder.

Why is that? Oh, right: because the players play the game. They're the ones with the power. And they should be able to say "Oh, hey, maybe stop shooting folks in the streets for nothing but their skin color" without being threatened over it.

And frankly? If the owners would support them, or even just say nothing, none of this would be an issue for anybody.

(I'd also suggest that given the minuscule number of amateur and college players who make the NFL, calling it "to[o] valuable a ladder" is up there with fetishization of the military. It's a sport that pays a lot of money to a tiny number of people--all of them men, interestingly enough. That's not a ladder; that's a lottery.)

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
1) Players CAN protest this way without damage the brand. The NBA has players protesting in the same manner. Instead of trying to squelch it, the NBA has, as far as I know, been fine with it, and hasn't acted against the players in question. I don't see where the NBA's ticket sales or reputation has suffered. (Or if they have, I certainly haven't heard about it).

https://sports.yahoo.com/poll-nfl-f...leagues-national-anthem-policy-193906840.html

That's the reality of it. I happen to be fine with them kneeling, but that's just me.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
I disagree, actually. That this topic is still being discussed suggests to me they're making a difference. Certain media outlets might like us to believe they're just tarnishing their reputations, but while I'm sure they are in certain circles, for a lot of other people the conversation has made them look at some hard truths about this country they may not have examined before.

Police brutality is not being discussed unfortunately. Just look at us right now, we're debating anything but.

Why is that? Oh, right: because the players play the game. They're the ones with the power. And they should be able to say "Oh, hey, maybe stop shooting folks in the streets for nothing but their skin color" without being threatened over it.

Players are not the ones with the power. The league (fans) is. Plenty of young men would jump to take the places of current players if they all were to quit. Popularity would be back within a couple of seasons.

And frankly? If the owners would support them, or even just say nothing, none of this would be an issue for anybody.

But the owners can't be blamed for the reactions of the fans. The fans are ultimately in charge of the TV-show called NFL.

(I'd also suggest that given the minuscule number of amateur and college players who make the NFL, calling it "to[o] valuable a ladder" is up there with fetishization of the military. It's a sport that pays a lot of money to a tiny number of people--all of them men, interestingly enough. That's not a ladder; that's a lottery.)

It might be a lottery but it's still the most valuable one for the black community. Until a more equal-opportunity society is installed, why would players knock the league? It's a disservice to those who will rely on it in the future.

The NFL is not perfect, but is has done a lot of great things for a lot of people. Ask former players what they think about the NFL.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like a good time to let the NFL and owners know you support the players and oppose penalties for taking a knee.

NFL halts anthem policy after Dolphins criticized for considering suspensions of players who protest

The NFL and National Football League Players Association have agreed to halt enforcement of rules regarding the new national anthem policy while the two sides work on a resolution.

The league and its players union issued a joint statement late Thursday, hours after The Associated Press reported that Miami Dolphins players who protest on the field during the anthem could be suspended for up to four games under a team policy issued this week.

"The NFL and NFLPA, through recent discussions, have been working on a resolution to the anthem issue. In order to allow this constructive dialogue to continue, we have come to a standstill agreement on the NFLPA's grievance and on the NFL's anthem policy. No new rules relating to the anthem will be issued or enforced for the next several weeks while these confidential discussions are ongoing," the statement read.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
It might be a lottery but it's still the most valuable one for the black community. Until a more equal-opportunity society is installed, why would players knock the league? It's a disservice to those who will rely on it in the future.

The most valuble lottery for the black community? Liz already pointed out the minuscule number of players that actually make it to the NFL, to laud it as anything that improves the lives of African-Americans in any meaningful way doesn't work as an argument for me.

The NFL is not perfect, but is has done a lot of great things for a lot of people. Ask former players what they think about the NFL.

Terry Crews (former player) describes it 'like jail, with money'.

“The NFL is like jail with money, it really is,” Crews said, adding Martin simply realized his teammates were laughing at him and not with him. “There’s a culture of intimidation, humiliation and violence that tries to keep you in control. But the moment you realize the NFL doesn’t have control over you anymore is when you realize, ‘I can walk away.’”

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score

So you're saying the "best" chance for black people is to be one of the less than two thousand men (and less than that, due to other races also playing football) who get to play professional football, a career with a lifespan of usually less than five years, that will quite possibly leave them with permanent brain damage.

And you see nothing wrong with this?

Last edited:

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
The most valuble lottery for the black community? Liz already pointed out the minuscule number of players that actually make it to the NFL, to laud it as anything that improves the lives of African-Americans because a very few make it is ridiculous on its face.

I'm not saying that a great number of players make it to the NFL. Never did. But what industry has has created more black millionaires?

And on second though I withdraw my statement that it might be a lottery, we shouldn't trivialize what it takes to be great at something.

That's one person. If we were to poll all former NFL players, do you think most would say that the NFL has been a negative experience for them? That it didn't improve their life, and the lives of plenty of people around them?

I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority have a positive view of the league, and that many are thankful for what the league has provided them. Regardless of ethnicity.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Police brutality is not being discussed unfortunately. Just look at us right now, we're debating anything but.

Well, actually, I did mention it in my response. But I'm hoping the reason we're not debating it is that we're in agreement that it's a bad thing.

Players are not the ones with the power. The league (fans) is. Plenty of young men would jump to take the places of current players if they all were to quit.

Okay, so, here's where I admit I had an ex who was really into college football. My brother teaches at a Big 10. So I'm not a fan myself, but i'm not totally ignorant of the game and the dynamics, especially between college ball and pro.

I remember watching a game with a college quarterback. Incredibly talented. Put 200% into every play. Fought like hell for everything. He was a joy to watch. And the commentators pointed out what a tragedy it was that he was never going to play pro ball, because he wasn't built properly to be a quarterback. You're telling me kids like him suddenly get offers because Kaepernick took a knee?

But the owners can't be blamed for the reactions of the fans. The fans are ultimately in charge of the TV-show called NFL.

...Yeah, I'm thinking this is a vast oversimplification of the issue. Your Yahoo link shows the fans support the owners, but it doesn't suggest anybody's stopped buying tickets. And all you have to do is live in a city with a big stadium (I used to) to know that plenty of fans have a lot of issues with how the owners handle pro sports.

Hoooooooly cats, dude. Links, please. This is a totally 1970s view of pro sports, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't accurate back then, either.

I'll also ask (again): where's the lottery for the girls? Seriously? If the NFL is supposed to be the savior of non-white communities in this country, we are even more screwed than That Orange Person is screwing us now.

Sure it has. And I'm sure a lot of players have fond memories. Why does that exempt the organization from criticism again? Why does that make it some holy grail savior for people who grow up poor with the wrong skin color?

Are we really looking to professional sports to handle our systemic racism? And if we are...what do we think we're doing by suggesting that players shouldn't be addressing that systemic racism head-on?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It makes absolutely no sense for players to be protesting during the anthem anymore (not sure if it ever did, but that’s another discussion). It's not only counterproductive to the supposed cause but downright harmful to both the sport and black communities who as a result are further alienated.

Even if Colin Kaepernick intended to protest against police brutality, players have to recognize that the conversation has been hijacked. It's now a matter of the anthem, the flag, the military and so forth. Whether they like it or not, future protests will not further the discussion about police brutality. That ship has sailed and any player who does not recognize it is, frankly, dumb or remarkably uninformed.

The NFL is a TV-show, it’s entertainment. As such the costumer/fans indirectly decide. The NFL feels like their product is being damaged by the protests, which it is according to polls, as such they have every right to cater to their customers. Players have a right to protest, but freedom is a two way street. If their employer feels like it goes against a mandatory code of conduct, then I'm sorry. No protesting. Players are free to create their own league where they make their own rules if they want to.

I would argue that no industry has done so much for the black community as American football. Hip-hop, Hollywood etc. can’t hold a candle to the amounts of black millionaires created by the NFL. And that’s just money. James Harrison said as late as yesterday (on “speak for yourself”) that football basically saved him. It taught a troubled teenager from a rough neighborhood about hard work, accountability, the meaning of brotherhood etc. Why would players seek to damage that product? Right or wrong, they need to understand that every time they protest, the product is damaged as more and more people throw dirt at the NFL. Players are doing a disservice to not only themselves, but future players and their communities as well.

Players need to stand for the anthem for five minutes, sixteen times a year. Every free moment can be spent utilizing their considerably resources, by virtue of the NFL, for the furthering of specific causes. A gesture during an anthem does nothing. A meeting at their local city hall might bring actual change. Police brutality is a serious problem and should be addressed, but this is not the right way as made evident.

TLDR; Players need to recognize that the discussion has been hijacked to be about patriotism rather than police brutality. Further protest will only hurt the product that has made them, and countless other disadvantaged young males, millionaires and, more often than not, men with admirable characters.

I... they don't need to stand for the fucking anthem at all. Yes, Trump attempted to hijack the actual discussion in a racist, dog-whistle way, to play to his base. That doesn't mean anyone has to allow that to change their own behaviour.

I want every player out there kneeling. Suspend the entire team and see where that gets an owner. The players have the upper hand here, but even if they didn't, sticking up for what you believe in shouldn't ever stop because someone else decided it means something else.

This is not what's damaging the NFL; never was.

Also... what? Football has made more black millionaires than music... or, call me crazy, business? What?

The character that football builds is not exactly one I'd tote, dude. There are plenty of perfectly normal, nice football players. However, in a general sense, football players, by and large, like baseball players, tend to be unmitigated assholes. Like many people in the military, who sport white power tattoos and talk eagerly about killing <insert slur here>. Again, of course there are nice, normal, non-asshole members of the military, but suggesting being a member of either organization builds some type of character specific to being in them is just suggesting the character built is not one you'd want around.

Football is not a way out for a lot of young men. A high school player's chances of making the NFL are less than one percent. There are like 1,500 people in the WORLD in the NFL and plenty of them aren't black. Encouraging boys to think of the NFL (or NBA) as some golden ticket out of poverty or circumstance is hugely damaging, imo, as it neglects the role of education in actually getting out. The military too, can be a viable way out of poverty-ridden, education-deficient circumstance, but it's a price those kids pay, not necessarily a bonus.

I'm not saying that a great number of players make it to the NFL. Never did. But what industry has has created more black millionaires?

Business? Finance? Medicine? Music?

And on second though I withdraw my statement that it might be a lottery, we shouldn't trivialize what it takes to be great at something.

That's one person. If we were to poll all former NFL players, do you think most would say that the NFL has been a negative experience for them? That it didn't improve their life, and the lives of plenty of people around them?

I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority have a positive view of the league, and that many are thankful for what the league has provided them. Regardless of ethnicity.

Yes, I think most would say the NFL has, overall, been a negative experience, because a fucking lot of them have brain damage.

Also, the idea that the NFL has been losing viewers is just another lie from Trump.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote about police brutality in two posts out of three and in the third, it's included in the article I linked to. It's there for anyone to respond to or not.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
Well, actually, I did mention it in my response. But I'm hoping the reason we're not debating it is that we're in agreement that it's a bad thing.

We definitely agree on that (it's a start huh ) :) )! It has no place in a modern society, or an ancient for for that matter. But the whole situation has been more divisive than anything else, I have a hard time believing that the cause as been furthered.

I remember watching a game with a college quarterback. Incredibly talented. Put 200% into every play. Fought like hell for everything. He was a joy to watch. And the commentators pointed out what a tragedy it was that he was never going to play pro ball, because he wasn't built properly to be a quarterback. You're telling me kids like him suddenly get offers because Kaepernick took a knee?

No, I was responding to the claim that players are in charge. They are not. If they all were to quit playing, it would take a few seasons then everything would be back to normal. Thousands of college players would be dying fill the empty rosters.

...Yeah, I'm thinking this is a vast oversimplification of the issue. Your Yahoo link shows the fans support the owners, but it doesn't suggest anybody's stopped buying tickets. And all you have to do is live in a city with a big stadium (I used to) to know that plenty of fans have a lot of issues with how the owners handle pro sports.

Here you go: https://nypost.com/2017/10/05/30-pe...watching-less-and-most-blame-anthem-protests/ "Of those watching fewer games, 52 percent said it was because they disagreed with the protests".
Hoooooooly cats, dude. Links, please. This is a totally 1970s view of pro sports, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't accurate back then, either.

I don't know much about the 70's but as I stated above, what industry has created more black millionaires than football and the NFL?

Sure it has. And I'm sure a lot of players have fond memories. Why does that exempt the organization from criticism again? Why does that make it some holy grail savior for people who grow up poor with the wrong skin color?

Are we really looking to professional sports to handle our systemic racism? And if we are...what do we think we're doing by suggesting that players shouldn't be addressing that systemic racism head-on?

It doesn't exempt it from criticism. I never said that. I responded to the post that included the article with Terry Crews.

As for the NFL's place in society at large, no we don't rely on it for handling systematic racism. But I bet the NFL, and pretty much every other sport, has done more than most institutions against racism. How many fans care if their favorite player is white or black? No one does. They're fans.

Overall, I feel we expect a teeny bit to much from the NFL. It's a football league. It's not responsible for racial relations in the U.S, it's not supposed to be a holy grail for anyone. It's a TV-show about people playing football, nothing else. It can't be blamed for there being no girls playing for example. It's unrelated but it there was enough demand for girls playing football there would be a mainstream league.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

It's still about Black lives matter for most of the people I know who are Black.

It's still about Black lives matter for the players who are protesting.

And it looks to me based on numerous articles like this one and what I'm seeing on Twitter that large numbers of players, league officials and fans, think "taking a knee" is a reasonable protest.

Like Ari, I fail to see why singing the national anthem is appropriate at a sporting event, but I don't see how taking a knee during an anthem whose lyrics are troubling is at all disrespectful, especially in the context of events like these, never mind people shot because they were Black.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
So you're saying the "best" chance for black people is to be one of the less than two thousand men (and less than that, due to other races also playing football) who get to play professional football, a career with a lifespan of usually less than five years, that will quite possibly leave them with permanent brain damage.

And you see nothing wrong with this?

I'm definitely not saying that.

But your post begs the question, why would people play football if it's such a terrible experience?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It makes absolutely no sense for players to be protesting during the anthem anymore (not sure if it ever did, but that’s another discussion). It's not only counterproductive to the supposed cause but downright harmful to both the sport and black communities who as a result are further alienated.

You know what else alienates the Black community? Seeing their sons, daughters, fathers and mothers, children and grandchildren killed by cops who are not punished for killing them. That alienates them a fuck ton more than seeing a brutha take a knee during a meaningless football game.

Even if Colin Kaepernick intended to protest against police brutality, players have to recognize that the conversation has been hijacked. It's now a matter of the anthem, the flag, the military and so forth. Whether they like it or not, future protests will not further the discussion about police brutality. That ship has sailed and any player who does not recognize it is, frankly, dumb or remarkably uninformed.

Eric Reid is neither dumb nor uniformed. Or are you assuming he is because he's a Black football player? Or was, before the NFL blackballed him the same way they did his former teammate. Reid is still Black, but no longer a professional football player.

In early 2016, I began paying attention to reports about the incredible number of unarmed black people being killed by the police. The posts on social media deeply disturbed me, but one in particular brought me to tears: the killing of Alton Sterling in my hometown Baton Rouge, La. This could have happened to any of my family members who still live in the area. I felt furious, hurt and hopeless. I wanted to do something, but didn’t know what or how to do it. All I knew for sure is that I wanted it to be as respectful as possible.

A few weeks later, during preseason, my teammate Colin Kaepernick chose to sit on the bench during the national anthem to protest police brutality. To be honest, I didn’t notice at the time, and neither did the news media. It wasn’t until after our third preseason game on Aug. 26, 2016, that his protest gained national attention, and the backlash against him began.

That’s when my faith moved me to take action. I looked to James 2:17, which states, “Faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” I knew I needed to stand up for what is right.

I approached Colin the Saturday before our next game to discuss how I could get involved with the cause but also how we could make a more powerful and positive impact on the social justice movement. We spoke at length about many of the issues that face our community, including systemic oppression against people of color, police brutality and the criminal justice system. We also discussed how we could use our platform, provided to us by being professional athletes in the N.F.L., to speak for those who are voiceless.

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former N.F.L. player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

It should go without saying that I love my country and I’m proud to be an American. But, to quote James Baldwin, “exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

I refuse to be one of those people who watches injustices yet does nothing. I want to be a man my children and children’s children can be proud of, someone who faced adversity and tried to make a positive impact on the world, a person who, 50 years from now, is remembered for standing for what was right, even though it was not the popular or easy choice.

As a 49ers fan, I loved what Reid and Kaepernick did for my team on the playing field. Now that the NFL has turned its back on them, I love even more the brave men they are by what they have done off the playing field.

Loading Bot said:
The NFL is a TV-show, it’s entertainment. As such the costumer/fans indirectly decide. The NFL feels like their product is being damaged by the protests, which it is according to polls, as such they have every right to cater to their customers. Players have a right to protest, but freedom is a two way street. If their employer feels like it goes against a mandatory code of conduct, then I'm sorry. No protesting. Players are free to create their own league where they make their own rules if they want to.

Polls that are not cited are polls that exist only in your imagination, LoadingBot. As a new participant to this forum, you should know, "because I say so" scores no points for you in these debates. Provide some evidence that the NFL feels like their product is being damaged by the protests, because I'm happy to provide evidence that is is not.

Additionally, the NFL had no rule about taking a knee or raising a fist during the national anthem. They tried to come up with a rule after the fact and without the players involved in the crafting of the rule. You seem to have this notion that the players need the owners and their teams so badly they should do nothing to adversely affect them. The fact is without the players, who's going to pay those obscene prices to watch Jerry Jones sit in his luxury private box and own the Cowboys? No teams, no jobs for the players. No players, no money for the owners. This is what is called a symbiotic relationship.

Freedom is a 2-way street? That's fascinating. How's that work? It exists when Black players please the White fans and it doesn't when they don't?

Loading Bot said:
I would argue that no industry has done so much for the black community as American football. Hip-hop, Hollywood etc. can’t hold a candle to the amounts of black millionaires created by the NFL. And that’s just money. James Harrison said as late as yesterday (on “speak for yourself”) that football basically saved him. It taught a troubled teenager from a rough neighborhood about hard work, accountability, the meaning of brotherhood etc. Why would players seek to damage that product? Right or wrong, they need to understand that every time they protest, the product is damaged as more and more people throw dirt at the NFL. Players are doing a disservice to not only themselves, but future players and their communities as well.

I call bullshit.

It is NOT a "disservice" to say "I have a problem with cops killing people like me and getting away with murder." The disservice would be to say, "I don't have a problem with cops killing players like me, future players, and communities as well."

Some things are much more important than making money. Many things are more important than worrying about than damaging the NFL (psst...they're not and the NFL is fine) and simply protecting yourself, your friends and family, from being shot and killed strikes me as one of them.

Oh, and as far as other industries or industries that have done more for the Black community than football, I'd say the auto industry, manufacturing, U.S. military, medical, banking, life insurance, hair care, and even the freaking NBA has created more millionaires and billionaires than the NFL has. There are only three billionaires in the United States and Michael Jordan dunked basketballs, not sacked quarterbacks. Oprah Winfrey may have sacked a bag of potato chips, but that's as good as it gets.

LoaderBot said:
Players need to stand for the anthem for five minutes, sixteen times a year. Every free moment can be spent utilizing their considerably resources, by virtue of the NFL, for the furthering of specific causes. A gesture during an anthem does nothing. A meeting at their local city hall might bring actual change. Police brutality is a serious problem and should be addressed, but this is not the right way as made evident.

If a gesture during the national anthem does nothing, then why are we still discussing those gestures two years after the original event? Seems to me that's doing something.

You don't have to stand for the flag on your job and neither do I. Why should professional athletes?

LoaderBot said:
TLDR; Players need to recognize that the discussion has been hijacked to be about patriotism rather than police brutality. Further protest will only hurt the product that has made them, and countless other disadvantaged young males, millionaires and, more often than not, men with admirable characters.

Where did you get this fanciful and sadly inaccurate these young brothers wouldn't have achieved success in life without pro football? Football is a means to an end, not the end itself. If you are a fool, all money does is make you a fool with money. If you are smart, you have goals and the determination to achieve those goals, you're going to be a success in life even you're not throwing your body around like a wrecking ball for three hours on Sundays in the fall.

Nope. Wrong. It's not now about patriotism and it never has been. Race-baiting opportunistic scumbags like *45 have made it about patriotism. Greedy owners who regard their predominantly Black players as showhorses they can make money off of while they're young and healthy and cut them loose when they're not made this about patriotism. Stupid fans and even stupider non-fans made this about patriotism.

And why is that? Because *45 is White, the owners are White and most of the fans and non-fans are White and all those White people would rather yak and yammer about the fucking flag than cops killing a Tamir Rice or Rekia Boyd any day of the weekend and twice on Sunday.

White America does not want an honest, open and no bullshit discussion about police brutality. It never has and it never willingly will.

As regards your insistence, "in this case , in this anthem-situation, they can't win," you could not be more wrong. Your presence in a thread nearly two years old where the original poster no longer even posts on this board is the proof this is still a hot topic. Why wouldn't it be? It's certainly not as though there haven't been many more Black bodies dropped by cops since Colin Kaepernick began his protest on August 16, 2016.

Many who were not paying attention before are paying attention now. Even the cops are paying more attention because they know they're being watched and if not always being held accountable, they aren't being given a complete free pass (but they mostly still do). More cop shops are requiring the use of body cameras and when everyone is walking around who can film these fatal encounters between the Black community and the police, they have lost some of their ability to act with impunity and immunity.

The NFL is chasing their tails. They reacted slowly and poorly to Kaepernick's protest. They totally crapped the sheets when Trump seized upon the issue to his own political advantage and now he won't stop biting the hand of the billionaires like Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft who poured money into getting this idiot elected. No good deed goes unpunished and that occasionally holds true for bad deeds too.

But to even suggest the players can't win this is absurd. They started something here and it's not going away, it's not going to stop and there remains young Black men in the NFL who insist they will continue to take a stand by taking a knee.

The national anthem policy put in place by the NFL this offseason says that players may stay in the locker room during the playing of the song, but that those on the field must “stand and show respect” and that teams with players who don’t will be fined by the league.

A teams is permitted to “develop its own work rules” for players who do not stand and show respect and it appears Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey plans to see how his team will be addressing that possibility. Casey raised his fist during the playing of the anthem the last two years and suggested on Wednesday that he is prepared to take any discipline that may come from continuing to do so this season.

“I’m going to take my fine,” Casey said from a promotional event in London, via CNN. “It is what it is, I ain’t going to let them stop me from doing what I want to do. If they want to have these battles between players and organizations, this is the way it’s going to be. … There is always going to be blowback, that is what America is about. They always like to go on social media and go hard. It is what it is, at the end of the day, I don’t pay no mind to it. I’m going to do what I do that’s going to bring light to my community. At the end of the day we got to do a job. But I will continue to use my platform to keep on speaking up.”

Most players won't speak up. Most players won't take a stand. Most players simply want to play and let the checks keep rolling in. But most is not all. So, if the NFL and teams like the Dolphins, Cowboys and Texans want to fine and suspend, I'm sure there will be players who say in reply, "GO RIGHT AHEAD. DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO BECAUSE I'M GONNA DO WHAT I GOTTA DO."

Colin Kaepernick isn't even playing in the NFL anymore and he never will. Not because his skills have diminished so much but because his consciousness has been raised so high and once you wake up it's hard to go back to sleep. Once a man realizes he has power, he'll never willingly give it up again.

The players can't win, you say? Stuff and nonsense, I say. They have already won.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We definitely agree on that (it's a start huh ) :) )! It has no place in a modern society, or an ancient for for that matter. But the whole situation has been more divisive than anything else, I have a hard time believing that the cause as been furthered.

No, I was responding to the claim that players are in charge. They are not. If they all were to quit playing, it would take a few seasons then everything would be back to normal. Thousands of college players would be dying fill the empty rosters.

Here you go: https://nypost.com/2017/10/05/30-pe...watching-less-and-most-blame-anthem-protests/ "Of those watching fewer games, 52 percent said it was because they disagreed with the protests".

I don't know much about the 70's but as I stated above, what industry has created more black millionaires than football and the NFL?

It doesn't exempt it from criticism. I never said that. I responded to the post that included the article with Terry Crews.

As for the NFL's place in society at large, no we don't rely on it for handling systematic racism. But I bet the NFL, and pretty much every other sport, has done more than most institutions against racism. How many fans care if their favorite player is white or black? No one does. They're fans.

Overall, I feel we expect a teeny bit to much from the NFL. It's a football league. It's not responsible for racial relations in the U.S, it's not supposed to be a holy grail for anyone. It's a TV-show about people playing football, nothing else. It can't be blamed for there being no girls playing for example. It's unrelated but it there was enough demand for girls playing football there would be a mainstream league.

The NFL isn't to blame for the fact that there are no women in the NFL?

Who, precisely, is to blame then?