Colin Kaepernick Sits Through National Anthem Last Night

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I wish I could understand why many military personnel feel they are fighting and dying for the flag instead of to uphold the Constitution.

But that letter from the NAPO contains so many misrepresentations and/or misconceptions that I don't even know where to get started. Wish police organizations in this country would do more soul searching and less wagon circling.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I wish I could understand why many military personnel feel they are fighting and dying for the flag instead of to uphold the Constitution.

At a guess?

Symbols like flags are easier to see, easier to fetishize into whatever one wishes it to represent.

Constitutions, on the other hand, are written words, with meanings that are much harder to warp to one's whims... or the whims of those who would wave it above devoted followers.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

But that letter from the NAPO contains so many misrepresentations and/or misconceptions that I don't even know where to get started. Wish police organizations in this country would do more soul searching and less wagon circling.

At a guess?

Symbols like flags are easier to see, easier to fetishize into whatever one wishes it to represent.

Constitutions, on the other hand, are written words, with meanings that are much harder to warp to one's whims... or the whims of those who would wave it above devoted followers.
Don't forget they were manipulated with a Trump campaign to demonize the protest against police racism. That was on top of the police misguided reaction to the Black Lives Matter movement.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
The fact of the matter is I do not know of any military person who fights for the flag. They took an oath to protect the constitution from enemies, both foreign and domestic. Most of the people I know or knew, who were in combat were fighting for the guy next to them and themselves. I am a veteran and a family member of a former law enforcement officer, and NAPO is just full of crap because I support Colin Kaepernick and anyone else's right to protest peacefully in whatever manner they see fit.
I just sent Michael McHale an email telling him that this is one veteran who thinks he is wrong and a few other not so nice words.

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
49ers cheerleader takes a knee:

... The gesture caught the attention of Damian Trujillo, an NBC Bay Area reporter, who snapped a photo of the gesture from the stands, and Lenny Herold, who was also in the stands.

The photos show a brunet cheerleader taking a knee as her fellow Gold Rush cheerleaders stand in uniform poses. While it’s unclear what her motives were, the unidentified cheerleader’s act of taking a knee mirrors the ongoing NFL protests started by former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. ...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I still can't get past how weird it is that people suddenly think kneeling is a sign of disrespect.

The gesture was actually chosen as a way of protesting while still showing respect. This was an alternative to sitting during the anthem, and it was suggested by a veteran.

Conservatives appear to be such delicate snowflakes, though, that they can be offended by anything. Or maybe, just maybe, they don't agree with Black people who object to the police killings, and they're manufacturing offense and outrage to deflect attention from the racism that lies at the heart of their objections.

Last edited:

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
...Conservatives appear to be such delicate snowflakes, though, that they can be offended by anything...

It appears that they WANT to be offended by anything and everything. They're eager to find new things to be pissed off about.

... and they're manufacturing offense and outrage to deflect attention from the racism that lies at the heart of their objections.

Yes.

A colleague (an elementary school teacher) recently told me she was raised to be prejudiced against people of color. She does not get that her so-called outrage against black football players kneeling during the anthem is a result of her racism.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You may have heard there is a football game this Sunday. A match-up between the New England Trump Supporters and the Los Angeles Will Relocate For Cash Grabbers.

As a fan of professional football, I must be honest. I have no fucks to give. If both teams could lose, it would be fine by me, but if you held me at gunpoint and demanded I pick a side, I'd go with the one owned by Robert Kraft. Not that I like the fact the guy gave Trump a million bucks, but so did Stan Kroenke, the Rams owner who is a fetid puckered asshole.

Well, there's always the commercials. :e2yawn:

There is also a halftime show. Maroon 5 will be the headliner because nobody who was a true headliner wanted the gig. They will be joined by Travis Scott, who must be somebody since Rolling Stone put him on the cover, Big Boi, the lesser-known half of Outkast, and some special guest stars. Like maybe Ted Nugent will show up and pull out his wango tango. That'll be fun.

Somebody who won't be there is Roger Waters, the man behind the best years of Pink Floyd. Mr. Waters wants the musical acts who will be performing to do him a favor.

Take a knee.
As controversy continues to swirl around the Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show, Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters is calling upon Maroon 5, Travis Scott and Big Boi to take a knee during the big televised event in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick.

Maroon 5 has been the subject of immense backlash after agreeing to be the headlining act for this year’s Halftime Show. Many in the music community believed the band should turn down the event due to the treatment the NFL gave to the former 49ers quarterback, who knelt during the National Anthem in an effort to protest police violence and misconduct. Kaepernick was made a free agent and subsequently not picked up by any team. He’s currently embattled in a lawsuit with the NFL, alleging that the teams colluded to keep him off the field.

Waters took to Facebook earlier this week shortly after it was revealed that Maroon 5 would be skipping the traditional pre-show press conference at the big game on Sunday. The musician shared a video from his gig in Hartford, Connecticut on Sept. 24, 2017 where he and his band knelt in solidarity during their show.

“We did it in solidarity with San Francisco Quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s gesture of protest against the endemic racism and often deadly force meted out by police departments across this land. It was the third Sunday of Colin Kaepernick’s lock out by the NFL. The message was clear, ‘Shut your mouth, boy!’ Next Sunday will be the 36th Sunday he has been locked out of your national game,” Waters wrote in the video’s caption. “This is not a victory for the NFL, it is a defeat, you have denied football fans everywhere the pleasure and the honor of watching one of the greatest quarterbacks who ever played the game, and you have shown your true colors.”

He continued: “You can sit in your boardrooms and huff and puff on your cigars in your glass boxes, but your action is a poke in the eye for everything that is decent in America. Colin Kaepernick is an American hero. If the USA is to have a future, it is the Colin Kaepernicks of this world who will lead you there, in fact, it is Colin Kaepernick who is leading you now.”

The star concluded his lengthy plea by speaking directly to the three performers that agreed to do the show. Maroon 5, Big Boi and Travis Scott, who reportedly only agreed to do the show after the NFL donated $500,000 to Dream Corps, are the only acts expected during the event. Waters asked them to take a knee on the stage in front of the world to show their support of Kapernick and hold the NFL accountable.

“My colleagues Maroon 5, Travis Scott and Big Boi are performing during the halftime show at the Super-bowl this coming Sunday, I call upon them to ‘take a knee’ on stage in full sight. I call upon them to do it in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick, to do it for every child shot to death on these mean streets, to do it for every bereaved mother and father and brother and sister,” Waters wrote. “My mother used to say to me, ‘In any situation there is nearly always a right thing to do, just do it.’ So, there you go my brothers, you are faced with a choice, I’m not saying it will be easy, all the Presidents men, all the huffers and puffers, will be royally pissed off, but, $#@%’em, I call upon you to do it because it’s the right thing to do and because somewhere inside you know it.”

I'm sure they do. But I know they won't.

Remember when rock n' roll used to be about rebellion and rejecting the safe and saccharine? :Guitar: Fuck, I'm old... :e2shrug:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tacky? Actually, it is one of the more dignified and respectful forms of protest I can imagine. Tacky would be, oh, mooning the flag during the so-called anthem, for instance. I can think of even ruder things to do. But if you want to be respectful, calm, and express with dignity, kneeling instead of standing is a beautiful act.

I care far far more about the actual injustices that are growing like kudzu than I do for respecting a flag or a tune. And I deeply honor the choice of any public figure, or private individual, who takes a stand FOR justice and against symbolic patriotism. YMMV and likely it does.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought because of the Superbowl someone had something additional to say. I'm hoping Adam Levine does something supportive of Kaepernick.

Watch this space.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought because of the Superbowl someone had something additional to say. I'm hoping Adam Levine does something supportive of Kaepernick.

Watch this space.

Nighttimer's post, a few upstream, was/is current.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tried to score a "Kaepernick7" t-shirt. I'd have better luck trying to find the ark of the covenant. The Stupor Bowl is on. I'd rather not, thanks anyway. Pour another glass of wine.

I wanted something, someone to say something which needed saying. I found it too.

https://twitter.com/ava/status/1092093707212312577

It gave me chills.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Maroon 5 was a let down and the NFL put on a token homage to minority rights I guess, it's already faded.

The WA Post just put on an ad that Democracy Dies in Darkness.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Maroon 5 was a let down and the NFL put on a token homage to minority rights I guess, it's already faded.

The WA Post just put on an ad that Democracy Dies in Darkness.

So do assholes. :e2moon:
The owner of a sporting goods store in Colorado says his shop is going out of business after he stopped selling Nike products over the company's controversial campaign with Colin Kaepernick.

Prime Time Sports, in Colorado Springs, is shuttering its doors after "21 mostly good years," owner Stephen Martin wrote on Facebook Monday.

He advertised 40 percent off all merchandise, and thanked those who "offered help and support through the 'Honor The Flag' memorial wall and NIKE boycott."

Martin said he can't afford to stay open anymore after he stopped selling Nike products, in protest after the sports brand featured Kaepernick, a former quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, in its "Just Do It" campaign.

The controversial ad from the campaign included a photo of Kaepernick's face, with the words "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything" superimposed on it. Nike’s decision led to calls for a boycott of the company, with more than 42,000 people tweeting with the hashtag #NikeBoycott the day after the ad was released.

Martin told KOAA-TV that "being a sports store without Nike is kind of like being a milk store without milk or a gas station without gas."

"How do you do it? They have a monopoly on jerseys," he said.

Martin said that despite having NFL apparel for every team in the league sold at his store, he currently isn't selling the jerseys of any current NFL player because of his decision to boycott Nike.

“As much as I hate to admit this, perhaps there are more Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick supporters out there than I realized,” Martin confessed, adding that he canceled an autograph event with Marshall, of the Denver Broncos, in 2016 because the linebacker kneeled during the national anthem.

Martin said Prime Time Sports will remain open until he's sold all his remaining merchandise, but is seemingly proud he did what he felt was right.

“I didn’t give in to big Nike and big dollars. I didn’t give in. I did it my way," he said. "That part of the military respect that’s in me just cannot be sacrificed or compromised, as I believe Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick both did. I don’t like losing a business over it, but I rather be able to live with myself."

You go right ahead and live with yourself, Mr. Martin. You can live without a business either.

Loser. :e2tomato:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, another Black History Month is in the books---and it SUCKED. What kind of Black History Month observance is it when White people get to decide who is deserving of being honored?

WE don't get to make that choice. THEY do.

A video posted to social media shows a high school teacher becoming overcome with emotion as she’s forced to remove a poster of former NFL player Colin Kaepernick from her classroom on Wednesday after it prompted complaints from their Florida community.

According to WINK-TV, Alissa Perry, a math teacher at Port Charlotte High School, made the poster of 31-year-old Kaepernick — who famously protested police brutality and social injustice by taking a knee during the national anthem as a member of the San Francisco 49ers — to celebrate Black History Month.

“Thank you all for participating in this,” Perry, who did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment, says in the video as her voice begins to quiver. “I’m going to go ahead and remove this.”

The video, originally uploaded by student Jaidyn Etheart, quickly went viral and was viewed more than 2 million times as of Friday afternoon.

“Just outrageous. This is Alissa Perry… fighting back tears, after officials at her school and in her district made her take down her Black History Month door cover of Colin Kaepernick because it ‘was offensive’ to some students,” activist Shaun King, 39, wrote on Twitter.

According to the school district, Perry’s poster caused a “disruption” on campus, and the sheer number of calls and emails they received in criticism of it led them to finally ask for its removal.

“When the poster was put up, several students posted it to social media. This caused somewhat of a disruption at the school,” Charlotte County School District spokesperson Michael Riley said in a statement to PEOPLE. “Colin, whether he intended to by his kneeling protest, has become a very controversial, decisive personality.”

“If you recall, our President stated that he disrespected our nation and our flag, asking citizens to boycott the NFL and Nike. We also had an equal number in our nation who observed his actions as a silent, peaceful protest against unfair racial treatment,” the statement continued.

The district says they have continued to receive “negative” calls and emails despite having the poster taken down.

“Our school [is] a microcosm of our society. If we had left the poster up, calls to the school and negative emails to the district would have continued citing their feelings of disrespect for our nation and flag,” Riley adds. “Since we have taken it down we have received the same number of calls and many many negative emails. Our hope is that our students experienced this as a learning opportunity and can be ambassadors for a united, United States of America.”

While some in Port Charlotte supported the district’s decision, some students think the poster should have at least remained up until the end of Black History Month, and that officials caved too quickly to the complaints.

“They [school district] cracked under pressure,” Etheart told WINK. “I don’t think that a few people’s opinions should be able to take away something that meant a lot to a lot of people.”

But not the white right kind of people.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, another Black History Month is in the books---and it SUCKED. What kind of Black History Month observance is it when White people get to decide who is deserving of being honored?

WE don't get to make that choice. THEY do.

But not the white right kind of people.

This really ticks me off.

And notice that the reason they wanted her to take his picture down is because "some people" might find it offensive. Some people of a white, more conservative bent, I am guessing. Can't have a party for anyone else without them gatecrashing it and dictating terms.

Wait, aren't white conservatives the ones who like to accuse everyone from traditionally marginalized backgrounds as being "sensitive snowflakes"?

Evidently, only white, conservatives are allowed to say things in the name of free speech that might be considered "offensive," by some, even during Black History Month.

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Well, as long as the students all learned something. You know, about how an administration sees white supremacist complaints and how color-blind they are to non-white-supremacist complaints.

Now we can easily calculate just how many students got left behind...

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Wait, aren't white conservatives the ones who like to accuse everyone from traditionally marginalized backgrounds as being "sensitive snowflakes"?

Yeah, they whine about other people being too easily offended so they can dismiss others’ feelings. Then they deliberately misinterpret issues like this so they can work up offense and ignore the fact that this was never a protest against the fucking national anthem.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they whine about other people being too easily offended so they can dismiss others’ feelings. Then they deliberately misinterpret issues like this so they can work up offense and ignore the fact that this was never a protest against the fucking national anthem.

They believe they're the only ones who matter.

For supposedly "superior" people, damn if they don't act like toddlers throwing tantrums because they got the wrong color sippy cup.