*SCREAM* THE NEW DELAIN ALBUM

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
IS SO GOOD!!! I'm so pleased! I'm really attached to The Human Contradiction so I won't say Moonbathers surpasses it, but I think it equals it for sure. Man, I just love this genre so much. (Edit for anyone who has their sound turned up and may click the link without knowing what to expect: it's symphonic metal!)

This is one of my new favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kez2CRNGtoc

Last edited:

Glass Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice! They are one of my favorites and I didn't realize they had a new album out. Now to go pester my husband into buying it for me...

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Yesssss. I'd only heard We Are the Others, which I'm not really a fan of, until they opened for Nightwish last year. I bought The Human Contradiction after the concert and have been hooked ever since. Here Come the Vultures was the song that made me go "Well hello, what have we here?" Heh. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have their album, "We Are The Others", and while I enjoyed it, it was a fading enjoyment. Haven't listened to it in a fair while. May have to check out some of their other stuff, though, if that album isn't one of their best...

That said, I'm on a pretty heavy growl/scream vocals kick right now, so the clean vocals probably won't do it for me at this point in time.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Cliff Face, check out the track I posted off their new album in the OP! It IS the heaviest one (which is why it's my faaaaavorite), so you might not be in a mood for the REST of the album, but that one is really good. :D

I feel you, though. I go through musical phases ranging from instrumentals+neoclassical to acoustic indie to melodeath with like 70-100% growling, like Soilwork.

edit: also, after a few more listens, I've decided I still definitely like The Human Contradiction a lot more overall - Tragedy of the Commons + Here Come the Vultures = magic combo. But I like Pendulum A LOT. So much that it basically makes the whole album for me. Fire with Fire and Danse Macabre are gonna be my new running songs.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The link takes me to a YouTube message saying the content has been blocked in my region due to copyright issues. But one of the suggested videos has a version that I can access. Listening to it now. :)

Hmm... On first impressions, Pendulum seems more like older Nightwish than the other Delain album I have. Chorus is made of win. :)

As an aside, Danse Macabre seems to be a very popular song title. Not only on this album, but there's also a track by that name on a The Agonist album, and La Grande Danse Macabre on a Marduk album.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
The link takes me to a YouTube message saying the content has been blocked in my region due to copyright issues. But one of the suggested videos has a version that I can access. Listening to it now. :)

Hmm... On first impressions, Pendulum seems more like older Nightwish than the other Delain album I have. Chorus is made of win. :)

As an aside, Danse Macabre seems to be a very popular song title. Not only on this album, but there's also a track by that name on a The Agonist album, and La Grande Danse Macabre on a Marduk album.

I'm 1000 years late with this response but nah, bro, if you want something that sounds like old Nightwish, look up Xandria. Valentine, The Nomad's Crown, and Soulcrusher are my favs of their songs.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought some Nightwish, Xandria, Within Temptation, Delain, and UnSun all around the same time. Of those, I think UnSun was the least "metal" seeming. I think Within Temptation were my favourites out of those, at least at first. Then some of their lyrics started freaking me out. :tongue

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
I like WT (was never too into UnSun, maybe should re-look sometime but) but I always considered them more rock than metal; same to Lacuna Coil, a bit. Lyrics freaking you out, though?! Clearly I need to check what they've been up to in recent years! Did they get weird? Hah. I mostly remember Memories and Angels and What Have You Done and other songs around that era.

Otherwise re: the pure symphonic metal stuff, my favorites are probably Nightwish, Epica, and After Forever—the holy trio. (And tbh, ReVamp and literally anything else with Floor Jansen because I am a slobbering shameless fangirl.) Honorable mentions go to Xandria, Delain, certain Diabulus in Musica songs, certain Leaves' Eyes songs, certain Sirenia songs. I don't like the ones where the vocals are too nasal. Obviously (haha), I prefer operatics.

Re: growling, I love Soilwork (male-fronted melodic death)—Nerve and Stabbing the Drama are both favorite songs, and also The Living Infinite I (as opposed to II, lol) has one of my favorite intros to any song ever. Also, not symphonic AT ALL, but freaking *In this Moment* has gotten AMAAAAZING in recent years. I remembered them as some vaguely poppy mainstream-ish rock band ***AND THEN AT SOME POINT THEY TURNED INTO THIS*** and I was so pleased: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-qQ_brIsfY (the bridge is my favorite part); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZF5m-vmDzM ; this one has a lot of screaming lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eGcPBxQ_l8

Also I assume you know Arch Enemy? They aren't really my thing (too speedy), but their whole schtick is that their vocalist is a female growler, a REALLY AWESOME one.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, we're obviously on a similar wave-length. I had a Sirenia album at one point, as well as Epica's live album.

As for In This Moment - yeah, I have a copy of the Blood album, which has the 2 last songs you linked to. And Arch Enemy are one of my favourites at the moment. I freaked out when I heard Alissa had left The Agonist (another favourite band), but was quite pleased that she had simply moved to a better-known band. I always liked her vocals a bit more than Angela's.

My current favourite, due to sheer epic, weird, ambient awesomeness is Cadaveria. She does clean and growl vocals quite well, and the rest of the band matches her mood really well. I think the reason she's my current favourite is because she's Italian. Love the Italian accent. :)

That said, some of my favourite guitar tracks are with Arch Enemy. There's just something so... story-like about some of the solos.

ziggysawdust

Registered
Reaction score
A bit late to the party but I wanted to say great band, great album! Probably my 3rd fave of the year! I saw them live in the summer and they killed it! so good live!