#WearWhatYouWant: London burkini ban protesters throw "beach party" outside French embassy

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h-party-protest-in-london-against-burkini-ban

Demonstrators have staged an impromptu beach party complete with sand, deck chairs and a lobster-shaped lilo outside the French embassy in London to protest against burkini bans that have become law in many French coastal towns and cities.

Under the bemused gaze of the embassy’s armed police officers, some protesters sported burkinis – swimsuits that cover the wearer’s whole body, including her hair – or swimsuits, while others threw beach balls at the lunchtime protest.

Shortly after midday, a van pulled up and deposited several sacks of sand, to the consternation of police officers. The 40 or so protesters set up deck chairs and brandished placards among a scrum of journalists.

Esmat Jeraj, a campaigner at Citizens UK and one of the protest’s organisers, said the argument that the burkini was a symbol of repression “needs to be turned on its head”. “A lot of women wear it by choice,” she said. “If the burkini enables women to go and sit on the beach and enjoy the sunshine, surely that should be encouraged. It helps ensure these women are no longer on the margins.”

Several said they joined the protest after seeing photos on Wednesday that appeared to show a woman remove a long-sleeved top and leggings at the request of armed police officers who reportedly fined her on a beach in Nice. Another woman reported being reprimanded by police and given a ticket saying she had failed to wear “an outfit respecting good morals and secularism”.

Jenny Dawkins, a curate at the All Saints Church of England church in Peckham, said she had found the photos “genuinely chilling”. “If it was a nun sitting on the beach she wouldn’t be targeted in this way,” she said.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me, personally? I try not to tell other people how morally superior I am to them. But, of course, I still am.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another woman reported being reprimanded by police and given a ticket saying she had failed to wear “an outfit respecting good morals and secularism”.

How is a woman dressing in a burkini not good morals? Women's clothing is subject to government morality. WTF is that?

Would I be correct in assuming anyone, man or woman was ordered to remove a crucifix, or cross, or Hand of God necklace, and fined, if they were wearing one.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Another woman reported being reprimanded by police and given a ticket saying she had failed to wear “an outfit respecting good morals and secularism”.
I like how he put secularism and good morals together, despite his definition of good morals likely coming from the christian influence on their society.