Shin Godzilla

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
[Link to old thread]

So who else is excited for this?

As I detailed in the previous thread, I'm incredibly excited for it, because it's being co-directed by my favorite director of all time, Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion). Also, it needs to be amazing so I can forgive him for delaying production of the last new Evangelion movie. :)

So it's been released in Japan for almost a month now. The Japanese response has been very positive. The Western response has been somewhat mixed. (Which is typical of Hideaki Anno.) It's due for a North American release by Funimation in "late 2016" (probably October). Hopefully, the release will be wide enough for me to be able to see it.

Also, it will be released as Shin Godzilla after all, at Toho's request, despite being earlier advertised as Godzilla: Resurgence.

(Reminder that the title can be translated as any of "True Godzilla", "New Godzilla", and "God Godzilla".)

The soundtrack (by Shiro Sagisu) is up on Amazon, and it re-uses several tracks from Anno's previous film Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (which likewise re-used tracks from his earlier works Nadia and Kare Kano).

A full summary of the movie plot has been leaked on reddit, and can be found here on the Evageeks forum. (Obviously, spoilers abound.)

Without spoiling anything, I can say that the ending sounds absolutely haunting, and is strongly reminiscent of the films Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo and End of Evangelion (in a good but terrifying way, IMO).*

Some reviewers have compared the tone of the movie to episode 19 of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is widely considered simultaneously one of the best and most disturbing episodes of the series.

The movie is peppered with allusions to the 2011 Tohōku earthquake and tsunami, and the Japanese government's response to the ensuing Fukushima nuclear disaster, as well as topical criticisms of the current Japanese government.

The final act of the movie revolves around "Operation Yashiori", a callback to "Operation Yashima" from episode 6 of Neon Genesis Evangelion and Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone, and which was later used as the online name of a nationwide campaign to conserve energy in the wake of the Fukushima meltdown. It's also an allusion to a story from Japanese folklore that corresponds to the plan for ultimately dealing with Godzilla.

But damn... the description of that final shot.

I'm hyped.

*Edit to add: albeit not quite as bleak.

Last edited:

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
[Link to old thread]

Without spoiling anything, I can say that the ending sounds absolutely haunting, and is strongly reminiscent of the films Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo and End of Evangelion (in a good but terrifying way, IMO).

Some reviewers have compared the tone of the movie to episode 19 of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is widely considered simultaneously one of the best and most disturbing episodes of the series.

I knew literally nothing about this movie before reading your post other than that it existed, but hearing that makes me very interested to know more. Episode 19 of Evangelion and End of Evangelion are some of my favorite animated works of all time, so I would love to see a movie that took after them.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I knew literally nothing about this movie before reading your post other than that it existed, but hearing that makes me very interested to know more. Episode 19 of Evangelion and End of Evangelion are some of my favorite animated works of all time, so I would love to see a movie that took after them.

Then I strongly recommend checking this out.

(If you haven't already seen it.)