Would anybody be willing to do a translation for me?

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I don't expect many takers to this, but I have a short poem (15 lines) that a friend of mine would like to translate into Old and/or Middle English. I know a bit of Middle English, but twas many (okay, two and a half) years ago now. If anybody would be willing to help that would be really great. I can't pay you, so I completely understand being told to go away :e2drown:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I can't help you -- I could probably take a poem written in Middle English and turn it into reasonably competent modern English, but certainly not the reverse, and certainly not into something that would be competent poetry!

But I must ask -- what for? There can't be much of an audience for new poetry written in middle or old English.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Google shows several on-line modern English to old English converters, you, or your friend might want to try them out.

Of course, I rather question whether the results you'd get from an online translator would still amount to poetry -- or even end up making sense. Sometimes the results one gets from google translate and the like are pretty hilarious.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help you -- I could probably take a poem written in Middle English and turn it into reasonably competent modern English, but certainly not the reverse, and certainly not into something that would be competent poetry!

But I must ask -- what for? There can't be much of an audience for new poetry written in middle or old English.

Hey Cassandra! I know, I'm the same. As for why: a tutor of mine is working on a project which is translating the same poem into as many languages as possible. They already have a crazy list of languages (all the obvious ones, plus Icelandic, Farsi, etc.), and he asked me if I could do or would know anybody who could do Old or Middle English.