Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Writing/Blogging myself into a new job/industry?

Threaded View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Writing/Blogging myself into a new job/industry?

I joined an online writing challenge to give myself a kick in the pants. I want to write about FinTech (financial technology). I'm studying so that I can become a researcher this industry. The sector is dominated by people who don't look like me, and I thought writing as I learned could give me a little edge. So, I thought I'd start a blog. That has been a nonstarter because I can't decide on an audience based on my experience level. I don't know anything!

I've considered writing a 'basics' series for newbies, opinion pieces on industry happenings, and I am brainstorming other types of pieces. I do not want to write a personal blog about the process of learning because I don't think that fits with being a mature student. Have you written your way into a niche successfully? How did you define your audience? What do you think I should keep in mind? Is it possible to under/overthink this? I...I....uh, Thank you!

Also I am new. Be brutally gentle.
    Last edited by maximal; 08-17-2016 at 04:07 AM.