Cover Feedback for Fantasy Short Story? - Finalized! Thanks for the help!

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Version 6 is the best out these. The issue I think you're having with image and background is that it becomes too busy. If you look at books in the market, it is rare they will have a vibrant background with a detailed image in the foreground. So, while I think V6 is your best bet, if you have your heart set on having a character on the front I would lose the background - which is a shame because it's not a horrible background. In version 6, you could lose the italic text at the top and make it regular, thus allowing you to italicise the "Wishing Blade" part. Otherwise, it's a pretty good effort, one of the better covers I've seen put together by an author on here.

If you are looking for free stock resources, you could look at makerbook.net - and this applies to anyone, I guess - they have lists of free sites for these things. I've not used their stock photography myself, but I have found them an excellent resource for other things.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like V6, but the the intense colors of V5. Though the "AND" should be straight, they drooping letters looks more accidental than deliberate. I do really like the font you've chosen! I think that is adding to the fantasy feel.

I see fantasy books with vibrant colors all the time, but the are dark vibrant often darker around the edges with it brighter in the middle almost like it's the "flare of magic". The thing I like about that color scheme is that is read more like magic and fantasy.

I agree the stock images don't fit, they read more like romantic comedy.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
EDIT 3: Cover has been finalized. Thanks for the help! :-D

EDIT 2: Final Choices at Post #45. :-D

EDIT: Updated Proof (V6) at Post #36

In the new ones, the face looks worse and the character looks cheesy.

The lettering and the background work in the last one, but it also works in D from earlier.

Noted. I’m currently considering VD as an option, and scratching the updated artwork of that character.

Hmm. This is a tough one. Of the new batch, my favourites are V6 and V9 -- but I share you concerns that the stock images might be misleading about the tone, and they're definitely not hitting the 'fantasy' notes enough.

Out of all your options, V6 is hitting the right notes: it's one of the cheaper options, it signals 'fantasy' a lot more than the others, and it looks the most professional.

Considering your budget constraints (which I should have been more mindful of, apologies) I think you would be better sticking with a text-only cover like V6. But then again, you might be able to find some free stock that suits your purpose -- run a few searches on the Deviantart stock section, there are some very nice photos there. One example (free for commercial use but donations appreciated), another (credit required, no other restrictions). Be sure to read any rules by that artist and contact them if you're unsure. You can search the stock section here.

I hadn’t thought of looking at Deviant Art; thanks for the tip. :) I did take a look at the ones you linked, and I liked the veiled look, but still wasn’t sure it was quite what I was going for. I did some more searching through Deviant Art, and while I found several stock photos I liked, none quite had the look I was hoping for. The good news, though, is that search gave me ideas of what sort of keywords to try, and I found another potential stock image (would cost me around $15.00, but I think it might be starting to get closer to the right “look” after I did some work on the image, and that’s within my budget).

And no worries about not thinking of the budget. I don’t think I mentioned that earlier when I was first creating the post. :)

Version 6 is the best out these. The issue I think you're having with image and background is that it becomes too busy. If you look at books in the market, it is rare they will have a vibrant background with a detailed image in the foreground. So, while I think V6 is your best bet, if you have your heart set on having a character on the front I would lose the background - which is a shame because it's not a horrible background. In version 6, you could lose the italic text at the top and make it regular, thus allowing you to italicise the "Wishing Blade" part. Otherwise, it's a pretty good effort, one of the better covers I've seen put together by an author on here.

If you are looking for free stock resources, you could look at makerbook.net - and this applies to anyone, I guess - they have lists of free sites for these things. I've not used their stock photography myself, but I have found them an excellent resource for other things.

Good point about the background seeming too busy when combined with a foreground image. I tried to keep that in mind with my latest cover proof. Even if I don’t use the background as it stands in V6 now, I might come back to it later. Thanks for the resource tip, too. I’ll need to take a closer look at it. :)

I like V6, but the the intense colors of V5. Though the "AND" should be straight, they drooping letters looks more accidental than deliberate. I do really like the font you've chosen! I think that is adding to the fantasy feel.

I see fantasy books with vibrant colors all the time, but the are dark vibrant often darker around the edges with it brighter in the middle almost like it's the "flare of magic". The thing I like about that color scheme is that is read more like magic and fantasy.

I agree the stock images don't fit, they read more like romantic comedy.

Thanks for the feedback! I tried to keep that in mind with the latest proof, and I may try V6 with more intense colors, as well. (Also, I fixed the drooping ‘And’).

All righty! After a lot of tinkering with the covers, I’ve come up with another potential design. Right now I’m considering one of the new designs, V-6 (possibly with more intense colors?) or V-D (with updated text). I changed the colors on this particular proof to be more "peacock-like," since a peacock and it's colors play a role in the beginning and end of the story.

V11

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V11.jpg

V12

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V12.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :-D

Last edited:

gtbun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Again, V6 easily the best. It just looks a bit naff with the image. What you really want to get away from is the "self-published" look, and random image or generic person screams self-published.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
While I do like your stock image, the image does look like it could fit in a story about India or a fantasy or magical story set in or influenced by India or someplace similar, and the overly detailed background makes it look too busy.

V6 looks like a good option, if the stock image is not working for you.

If you want to stick to the stock image ones (I love V8 and V9), I would simplify the background. I think it distracts my eyes away from the character and is kind of a bit much to look at. Of the stock image ones, V8 and V9 appeals to me, but they give different vibes.

V8 feels more lighthearted, maybe bubbly, and has a more "feminine" color scheme than the other one. It feels like my Sabrina the Teenage Witch books. Which I LOVE, by the way. However, that may not be the vibe you are trying to give, lol.

I really love the concepts. Very creative. :)

V8 appeals to me because I love the pretty, feminine look and overall color scheme (purples and pinks) of it. V9 has nice rich color scheme and the font is interesting.

V6 does feel the most like a general fantasy. :) I think V6 is your best one, for a general fantasy feel.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw the newest ones right now (V11 and V12).

I'm a bit confused on why the illustrated/cartoony character is appearing on the right, alongside the photo image. The two don't look like they fit together. It's distracting me so bad, lol.

Something about the photo image doesn't feel like it fit in, either. Can't quite put my finger on why, though. It feels like she's been just photoshopped/cropped into the cover. She doesn't feel like she blends in--at the moment. IMHO, of course. :)

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Count me in as another V6. Honestly, the image is not working in any of them, and you've got a great cover without it. A lot of covers these days are going more typographic anyway, and considering everything people are saying they hate about covers now in the Pet Peeves thread, I think this will likely please the most number of people.

gtbun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Really, if you're looking for the best looking cover, both objectively and from a designer's point of view, it's V6. I think the problem you may be having is that you are your own client. It is an issue professional designers have too - it is really hard to design for yourself. You are too prone to second-guessing yourself. You may be sitting there thinking "well other covers have a person on it, and look like this, and the ones I've made before look like this" rather than recognising what is best and what you need rather than want. You may want to have stock images on the front, to line it up with your other covers and to line up with the horrible covers in industry, but believe me the best and most professional looking out of your options is V6. And if I were to offer you anymore advice it would be this: stop picking at it. The image-based covers aren't going to get any better with different stock images or different arrangements, you're at a point when they're all going to have the same issue. So take in what we've all said and pick one, because more data will only encourage you to keep picking.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another vote for V6: I'm a big fan of "simple done well", and that pretty much describes V6.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
EDIT 2: Cover has been finalized. Thanks for the help! :-D

EDIT: Final Choices at Post #45. :-D

All righty-then. Looks like the decision for V6 is unanimous. :)

I've started tinkering with that version and trying to refine it. Thoughts?

*Changed text position slightly
*Darkened edges and brightened center
*Attempted to make colors more vibrant
*Subtitle now only has "The Wishing Blade" in italics
*No more drooping "And"
*Cleaned up a few of the strings in the background. Brightened strings in foreground.
*Gave a slight fog effect over the edge text of "String"
*Applied a slight texture effect to sharpen the background. Not currently visible on the smaller size.

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V13.jpg

As a side note, I'm debating on whether the title will stay the same. I really like "Stone and String," and while the "string" reference is easy to pick up, the "stone" is not. But I'm not sure if that's going to be a problem or not.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! :-D

Last edited:

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
An example of what I'm talking about, made with Bromwich Small Capitals from Greater Albion Typefounders.
sstone.png

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's good. You might want to try kevin's suggestion with the font arch. It might make it more dynamic. I like your font though, it looks stringy in parts that echo the title.

gtbun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
I agree, you might explore arching the text - though the arrangement, while a bit messy, is endearing as is - but after that, referring to my last comment, be satisfied, stop picking at it. You've put together a half-decent cover so be proud of that. You could present any design to a group of people and they would suggest things to tinker with, some may be viable some not, but eventually you have to say - I'm done, this is finished.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do agree with gtbun there, the arrangement as is, is nice. It has that hanging by strings feeling too. So, try the new idea if you want and see how it feels to you.

Last edited:

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
Jumping in way late on this, but "A The Wishing Blade Short Story" subtitle trips me up. It strikes me like an editing artifact, where the author ultimately decided on "A Wishing Blade Short Story" and neglected to delete the word The. Maybe "Short Story" reduced to the same font size as the preceding "A" might help. Maybe. Otherwise, I love the cover in #36.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I really love the #36, I think it's spot-on now. Not a fan of the arched text suggestion, honestly -- it looks professional, and Kevin's mock-up is gorgeous, but I much prefer the way the current text hangs as if on strings.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
EDIT: Cover has been finalized. Thanks for the help! :-D

All right. I've tried the arched font (using the Photoshop warp tool). To be honest though, I think I'm leaning towards the former version, for the reason that EMaree mentions: the way the text hangs as if on strings. But I'm torn. I do like the concept of the arched font, and how it looks on "String."

Regardless, I'll probably be using the style in future cover design concepts, even if I don't use it for this. :)

I did go ahead and make "short story" in the subtitle smaller. Thanks for pointing that out. Something had been bugging me about it but I wasn't sure what until now.

These are the final two choices. What are your thoughts? :)

V14

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V14.jpg

V15

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V15.jpg

Thanks for the help, everyone! :-D

Last edited:

gtbun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
The more random arrangement of the text looks far better than the forced arching. It adds a bit too much order and shape to a pleasantly chaotic combination of image and text. Go with the original, not the arched.

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the arching was worth trying, but not better.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of making a book cover for a short story?

If you sell it on Amazon, it still needs a "cover".

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks for the help, everyone! I've decided to go with V15, the previous version. I did a little bit of retouching, and it is now the cover of the short story. Now we just have to see if it can attract the right readers. :-D

Thanks again!

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of making a book cover for a short story?

Like kevinwaynewilliams said, since I'm publishing it through Kindle as a single story, it still needs to have a cover. Plus, I'm thinking of printing a few small copies of this to sell at a local street fair with my other book, so I needed a cover for that, too. :)

Last edited: