Population size vs market

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So I've been doing some thinking really (just as a part of my normal day dreaming), and I started on a topic of the population of a country vs the market for certain products. I started thinking how this relates to things like books.

Now I have absolutely no training in economics or commerce, so I'm really saying this to see if anyone knows more about the topic and can point me in the direction of a resource.

So compare the US and Australia. The US has +320 million people, Australia has about 24 million. With an industry like publishing, it made sense to me that the US would publish 13 or so times the books that Australia does, given the greater population size.

But surely the industry in Australia isn't just a miniature version of the one in the US? I would think if one country published 10 times less than another, that would dramatically reduce the prevalence of niches. Say 0.05% of both Americans and Australians buy and read space operas (I'm obviously pulling that number totally out of the air). In America, that translates to 160,000 people. In Australia, however, it's only 12,000 people. So while its the same percentage, there are less Australians to buy them than Americans. Now clearly the operation could be scaled down, but there must be a floor were costs can't be reduced and its just not profitable because there aren't enough warm bodies to sell to (like, in an extreme example, if you lived in a country with 1,000 people, and 0.05% of people liked space operas, you'd only have a market of 5 people. It's not a scale a publisher could operate on, I would think).

So anyway, I'm really just rambling here, and asking if anyone knows more about this sort of thing. If anyone knows of anything they can point me to where I can learn more, that'd be appreciated.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you believe that books published in one country aren't marketed in another? :)

Yep, economics and market analysis just ain't that easy. Or, many times, logical.

Jeff

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but the books marketed in other countries are usually either
1) bestsellers and prize winners
2) famous authors
3) authors bestselling in a popular niche. ie famous among fans.
4) And, generally speaking, books that don't require translation, both for the book itself, and for it's reviews and publicity.
A book getting rave reviews in (non-English) is not going to get much word-of-mouth in North America.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Why do you believe that books published in one country aren't marketed in another? :)

Oh, absolutely. That's actually part of the issue in Australia. The country doesn't seem to have the critical mass to sustain a big industry, so most books come from overseas writers.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You also don't have to publish in your native land. I am a Kiwi and my biggest seller is a UK-based textbook, followed by my US ebooks and POD sales (including some brick-and-mortar stocking). I have sold crap all in NZ which leans literary as a market.

NZ is home to many authors, but most of them target overseas markets.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Books aren't all the same. So a publisher doesn't publish five titles per ten thousand of the population, leading to fewer titles in less well-populated countries; it publishes however many titles it wants to or can afford to, and adjusts its sales expectations per title.

Some publishers take world rights to the titles they acquire, and then publish them wherever they think they'll do well. All markets are different: you're right that Australia isn't just a mini-US in bookselling terms, it has its own culture and preferences. Some books which do well in the US will bomb in Australia, and vice versa.

Yeah, but the books marketed in other countries are usually either
1) bestsellers and prize winners
2) famous authors
3) authors bestselling in a popular niche. ie famous among fans.
4) And, generally speaking, books that don't require translation, both for the book itself, and for it's reviews and publicity.
A book getting rave reviews in (non-English) is not going to get much word-of-mouth in North America.

It's true that some publishers in the US won't consider books which haven't done very well in their home market, but in other countries that's not such a common attitude. And it's true that some agents don't make much of an effort to go after foreign and translation rights deals, because there are bigger chunks of money to be made in home sales, but the better agents see the value in those deals. I have an agent-friend or two who start to sell foreign and translation rights to their author-clients' books at the same time as they start to sell them here. They often make a few foreign and translation rights deals before the book is sold here. Sometimes for debut authors, sometimes for established ones. And over the course of a writer's career, those foreign and subsidiary rights sales really build up.

Oh, absolutely. That's actually part of the issue in Australia. The country doesn't seem to have the critical mass to sustain a big industry, so most books come from overseas writers.

There are lots of writers in Australia and New Zealand. I'm not convinced that there are fewer, per capita, than elsewhere. They just might be published elsewhere, as has already been suggested.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Another factor is that some agents are part of an agency with another agent who has foreign and translation rights experience. The agent might CC to them info about a book which may have a more global appeal.

Or the agency may partner with an agent or agency in other countries.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Another factor is that some agents are part of an agency with another agent who has foreign and translation rights experience. The agent might CC to them info about a book which may have a more global appeal.

Or the agency may partner with an agent or agency in other countries.

I can't think of any good literary agency which doesn't have a reasonable way to handle foreign, translation and subsidiary rights. Some agents take care of the deals themselves; some agencies have agents dedicated to those rights; some agencies work with subsidiary agents in other countries. Most work using a combination of these things. But it's not unusual.