• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tule Publishing

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I was a little surprised to not find a thread on this company...does anyone have any experience with them? Their focus seems pretty strictly on romance; I believe they had some RITA finalists this year (or maybe I'm misremembering--always a possibility). Thanks!

http://tulepublishing.com/about/

bridgit

Registered
Reaction score
RWA just posted an "Industry Spotlight" on Jane Porter the founder of Tule.

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread up. I'm curious too.

Smith107

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted a manuscript in October 2016. Haven't received a response. Anyone have experience with their response times? Thanks!

licieoic

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a manuscript in January 2017 and heard back May 2017. Seems like they take a while because they have their whole editing team read the manuscript if they like it.

licieoic

Registered
Reaction score
Update: They wouldn't even tell me what they offer their authors in terms of compensation unless I went ahead and made all the revisions they wanted first and they accepted the changes. I told them that I would really rather know what I'm working toward before putting in all the work and THEN discovering that I don't like the percentage they offer. (I said it nicer than that.) Waiting to see what they'll say. I find it really strange that they don't have this sort of information anywhere on their site.

licieoic

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Well, this company gets the thumbs down from me. I talked with Michelle Morris, an assistant editor. She says they don't provide ANY information on their compensation until they've offered a contract. It reads as very shady to me. They ask an author to do a lot of revision work based on what they want and they won't give any info on what the author is working towards until they've seen the work, approved of it, and offered the contract. If they don't like the revisions, then you're out of luck, you've done the work for nothing. And if they do like the revisions, there's a chance you won't like their offer. So you've done the work, again, for nothing.

It's VERY strange to me that they don't offer a breakdown of compensation ANYWHERE on their website, when EVERY single website I've been to AT LEAST has a FAQ with a little blurb. And they also don't offer that information when asked. Unless their contracts offer a unique percentage to each author (which I find unlikely), there is no reason for this.

I withdrew my submission. I don't recommend this publisher at all.

licieoic

Registered
Reaction score
Another update: Since I told Michelle Morris that I was going to publish my interaction with her on this site, I instantly got another email from their founder, Jane Porter. She told me she was "baffled" by my insistence that other publishers offer their royalty breakdown as the 4 other publishers she has worked with do not do so.

I responded with disbelief and provided her with screenshots from 3 publishers directly from their websites, detailing what they offer as far as compensation. I also said that I could have provided other examples, but felt that would be redundant. I also explained that most publishers who work directly with individuals rather than agents will provide their information if asked, as we do not have the resources that an agent would.

I guess she saw my reasoning, because she sent back the following - "Our royalties start at 40% and we offer print. For every book published. " And that was it. Not so hard, was it?

Anyway, at least the information is out now, and not the big secret Tule seemed to want to keep.