• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Australia no longer lines up with satellite data because it is hurtling north, needs to recalibrate

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36912700

Global satellite-based navigation systems no longer line up with Australia's measurements of latitude. They differ by almost 1.5 meters.

This is because Australia's tectonic plate is drifting northward at a rate of 7 centimeters per year.

(I had to double-check that rate because that is huge for a continental plate. The Indian subcontinent, which is sometimes described as a high-speed car smashing into Asia and throwing up the Himalayas, is moving at 5 centimeters per year.

And Australia is going almost 50% faster!)

At any rate, the last time the measurements were updated was in 1994.

Precision in measurement is vital for the development of self-driving cars, so the system of measuring needs to be changed.

On January 1st, 2017, all latitude measurements in Australia will be adjusted northwards 1.8 meters. This is slightly more than is necessary, but means that the system will be perfectly aligned in 2020 -- when a new system that dynamically takes into account tectonic plate movements should be ready to be implemented.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! After reading Fingerprints of the Gods, I can appreciate the earth's movements even more--actually it's pretty scary.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll remember to stay out of the way.

You could prop it back with your trident.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
By my calculations (but I am an art major, not a math major), I think Australia will take about 14,300 years to move north one kilometer and (measuring between Darwin and Hong Kong) should be making landfall in China in approximately 61 million years.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So I guess that would be why there are such huge earthquakes on the Indian Ocean side of Indonesia (Indian Ocean tsunami, anyone?)

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
So can I blame Australia for all the earthquakes we've been having lately in Japan? :)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Australia is going walk-about.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
By my calculations (but I am an art major, not a math major), I think Australia will take about 14,300 years to move north one kilometer and (measuring between Darwin and Hong Kong) should be making landfall in China in approximately 61 million years.

That discord over the ownership of the South China Sea will cease to be an issue. The Chinese probably should evacuate now and beat the rush.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It begged the question: Which continental plate is moving the fastest and why?
The Cocos and Nazca plates (in the pacific ocean) are right now the quickest, moving at over 10 cm/yr.

However typical plate movements are less quick, at rates about 2-3 cm/yr.

Why??

Oceanic plates move faster than continental plates. o Oceanic plates tend to have ridges (pushing) and attached subducting slabs (pulling). At the base of oceanic plates in the LVZ (low velocity zone), a region of partial melting that provides 'lubrication" at the base of the plates.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
That discord over the ownership of the South China Sea will cease to be an issue. The Chinese probably should evacuate now and beat the rush.

Especially if the vanguard of the Aussie invasion is the billion-and-one flavours of poisonous beasties they have loitering about the place.

"SEND OUT THE SPIDERS! UNLEASH THE JELLYFISH!"

Last edited:

Mark HJ

Cat whisperer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markhuntleyjames.wordpress.com

Taking a positive spin on this, there's plenty of time to sort out passports and visas.