• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Conversations and point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm having a little difficulty knowing the best way to present conversations between two characters (I've never taken any lit or writing classes past the required English 101/102 - engineering is my trade). I've been using quotations to go between characters, but it seems a little weird when the scene is from one character's point of view, like it changes to the other character's point of view during the conversation. Is that normal?

Example:

Dr. Aven nodded, "I can totally understand your trepidation Councilor Lawsen, but I hope you can see that my purpose in asking for more funding is based on the security of our planet." The councilor shook her head, "I don't see what this has to do with the planet as a whole doctor. You are basing your claims of alien warships on shady footage of a private satellite that the council doesn't even have proof exists. Besides that, we all know how Mr. Serenth ended up. So unless you are trying to get first priority onto the next boat to the asylum..." She didn't even have to finish, he knew what she was up to.

This scene is from Dr. Aven's point of view, but I can't seem to get it to seem completely that way. Is it in the ending of the conversation? By wrapping the conversation in text that shows it is Dr. Aven's pov, does that smooth it over? Just looking for some help on this as it bothers me a little bit. Thanks.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm having a little difficulty knowing the best way to present conversations between two characters (I've never taken any lit or writing classes past the required English 101/102 - engineering is my trade). I've been using quotations to go between characters, but it seems a little weird when the scene is from one character's point of view, like it changes to the other character's point of view during the conversation. Is that normal?

Example:

Dr. Aven nodded, "I can totally understand your trepidation Councilor Lawsen, but I hope you can see that my purpose in asking for more funding is based on the security of our planet." The councilor shook her head, "I don't see what this has to do with the planet as a whole doctor. You are basing your claims of alien warships on shady footage of a private satellite that the council doesn't even have proof exists. Besides that, we all know how Mr. Serenth ended up. So unless you are trying to get first priority onto the next boat to the asylum..." She didn't even have to finish, he knew what she was up to.

This scene is from Dr. Aven's point of view, but I can't seem to get it to seem completely that way. Is it in the ending of the conversation? By wrapping the conversation in text that shows it is Dr. Aven's pov, does that smooth it over? Just looking for some help on this as it bothers me a little bit. Thanks.

I'm kind of super confused. I think you're head-hopping? If you're working in a character's POV, not omni or something, then you shouldn't have the knowledge of the other character's internal motivations.

However, this doesn't read as if it's in Aven's POV....

I don't know whether I'm not understanding you, you're not using terms in a way I understand them or what's going on, but I'm confused, heh.

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
then you shouldn't have the knowledge of the other character's internal motivations.

Well Dr. Aven doesn't have knowledge of the internal motivations other than what he has gathered up to that point. He suspects that she is the one behind the scenes that made Mr. Serenth end up in the insane asylum to begin with.

However, this doesn't read as if it's in Aven's POV....

I don't know whether I'm not understanding you, you're not using terms in a way I understand them or what's going on, but I'm confused, heh.

And here's where my lack of lit knowledge comes out I guess. I thought it was in his POV, I mean to a degree it's omni I guess because one is looking down, but I'm hoping more that because he is the MC the point of view is more or less his. I guess maybe I'm getting it all mixed up. Perhaps I am writing more of an omniscient view and just having Aven as the MC is clouding my vision of that. Does it read more like an omni view to you then?

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
It seemed to me that it was being told from Dr. Aven's Pov, but you can strenthen that easily enough if you'd like.

Dr. Aven nodded (period here instead of comma) "I can totally understand your trepidation Councilor Lawsen, but I hope you can see that my purpose in asking for more funding is based on the security of our planet."

The councilor shook her head (period here instead of comma) "I don't see what this has to do with the planet as a whole doctor. You are basing your claims of alien warships on shady footage of a private satellite that the council doesn't even have proof exists. Besides that, we all know how Mr. Serenth ended up. So unless you are trying to get first priority onto the next boat to the asylum..." If you describe something here Dr. Aven observes about Councilor Lawsen's behavior, it will help reinforce that the story is being told from his POV. Absurd example: She shrugged, rolled her eyes toward the ceiling and whistled a little tune.

She didn't even have to finish, he knew what she was up to.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Example:

First, this needs to be divided into three paragraphs; Dr. Aven's dialogue, the councilor's dialogue, and finally Dr. Aven's observation.

Second, as long at the internals (thoughts, feelings, observations) all issue from Dr. Aven's perspective--and that seems to be the case here--then you won't have any trouble keeping the POV clear. The only real problem I can see with this is the lack of paragraphing.

Last edited:

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
It seemed to me that it was being told from Dr. Aven's Pov, but you can strenthen that easily enough if you'd like.

First, this needs to be divided into three paragraphs; Dr. Aven's dialogue, the councilor's dialogue, and finally Dr. Aven's observation.

Yeah, I guess I could have kept going with my excerpt...

Dr. Aven nodded. "I can totally understand your trepidation Councilor Lawsen, but I hope you can see that my purpose in asking for more funding is based on the security of our planet."

The councilor shook her head. "I don't see what this has to do with the planet as a whole doctor. You are basing your claims of alien warships on shady footage of a private satellite that the council doesn't even have proof exists. Besides, we all know how Mr. Serenth ended up. So unless you are trying to get first priority onto the next boat to the asylum..."

She didn't even have to finish, he knew what she was up to. As she turned from him, with her snobbish head held high, he turned towards Councilor Campbell. She had been on board from the beginning, perhaps sticking with her would continue to yield results. However, as he looked at her, the look on her face combined with the slight shake of her head made him think twice about it. Surveying the room to see if any of the councilors would fight for him, his eyes rested on Councilor Bastiani. He was looking him dead in the eyes, the gaze told him everything he needed to know. "Councilor Bastiani. Do you think this is something that we should be concerned about?" With a sly smile coming to his face the old man stood.

"Yes Dr. Aven. I think we should all be very concerned about it. We have just finished a worldwide war, with countless casualties on both sides. We are trying to rebuild for all of humanity. If we were to be invaded by any alien race, they would be able to do anything they wanted. We need the ability to fight back."

How does that read? Better?

Last edited:

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: This refers to your first post, not the rewrite: our posts crossed.

Only your last sentence is problematic, and even that is ambiguous rather than completely broken (it's possible that he knows that she knows that he knows :)).

There's a fairly easy way to check your work for consistent POV: even when it's written in third person ('Dr. Aven' not 'I') the scene only conveys what the POV characters sees, hears or knows/thinks. Try reading back to yourself in first person - does it still make sense if you put yourself right in Dr. Aven's head and rewrite the scene as 'I', or are you suddenly in sentences that 'I' can't see/know? I would need to know the broader context for this scene to know whether your last sentence still makes sense if it said 'She didn't even have to finish, *I* knew what she was up to.'?

So dialogue itself is always fine - the POV character hears that. But he can't get inside the other character's heads, although he may know or have some assumptions about what they're thinking. You can show this through internal monologue/thoughts from Dr. Aven (don't overdo it) or as Lauram6123 said, by showing little snippets of non-verbal clues that Councilor Lawsen gives off.

The main thing to watch with showing non-verbal clues is to avoid 'filtering' or adding an extra layer of distance from the POV character's perspective. Again to take the earlier example, 'She shrugged, rolled her eyes toward the ceiling and whistled a little tune' is correct; 'Dr. Aven saw her shrug, roll her eyes toward the ceiling and whistle a little tune' would be filtering (it distances us from Dr. Aven's POV and adds unnecessary words).

Last edited:

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: This refers to your first post, not the rewrite: our posts crossed.

Only your last sentence is problematic, and even that is ambiguous rather than completely broken (it's possible that he knows that she knows that he knows :)).

Well what I'm trying to convey (and by last sentence, I'm hoping you are talking about from the original post, because if you are talking about in my latest excerpt with additional dialogue, you lost me... We really need to stop crossing our posts, it's going to really confuse all of us... ;) ), anyway, what I'm trying to convey is a sense that he thinks he knows what she is up to.. he is just assuming the worst after hearing her denial for his requisition of funds for his project. I can change it to make it more descriptive of that, if it helps clear up the POV issue.

Instead of She didn't even have to finish, he knew what she was up to. I could say. She turned away from him as she trailed off, her snobbish head, held higher than usual. The wheels turned in his head, perhaps she had been behind Mr. Serenth's trip to the insane asylum after all. The rumors had been there, but she had avoided any dirt that had been thrown her way. Decidedly, he turned towards Councilor Campbell...

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this is a POV issue. If Aven thinks he knows what she's up to, that's still his POV. You just have to consider the best way of expressing his suspicions. I think it's hard to judge from a short excerpt. If you can insinuate her motivation in her words and actions leading up to this, that may be better than outright saying what Aven is suspecting.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
Omniscient which handles well enough shifts from POV to POV on a paragraph-by-paragraph basis: Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, Swan Song by Robert McCammon, Cujo by Stephen King.

Odile_Blud

-_-
Registered
Reaction score
A cave. (I power the internet with my imagination)
I'm not that certain on what you're trying to ask. I assume you are executing view point correctly in which case I would agree with cornflake. If you are supposed to be in the doctor's point of view, it does sound like you are head hopping in that last sentence there.

My best advice, honestly, would be to read books in the point of view you are trying to write and see how they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.